Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The slimes are barely used.
I don't know, I found plenty, specially the variants, they are just not as common as other enemies but not rare.

I've fought a shitload of slimes. Spend more time around water and wet caves.
Those slimes have to be bugged. Sometimes its not possible to hit them and pawns will ignore them while I get stuck in them unable to escape.
Yeah, bugged like in tabletop AD&D. Go fight an animated mucous with your unenchanted sword and see how you make out. Then try and burn or freeze it (depending on type) and see how it goes.

I mean, this is well known enough even to have made it into trad jrpgs.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I was fighting a bunch of oil slimes in a cave last night.. My pawn had just got a new fire staff (would be nice to know if that +40% to fire was part of the magic damage # listed) and I loaded her up with a few fire spells. I would be mad if they did more damage but it was kinda funny having these dozen tactical nukes going off in a small space tossing us around.

Spoilery: I was surprised to find new quests in the first zone after clearing most of it out and moving my case load to Batahl. At least I think they are? I always try to talk to everyone, and most run up to you if they have quests, but you never know if it’s a flavor-text npc or not without checking. Pawn-trafficking, restoring a legendary sword, and even small stuff with characters you probably have no reason to check back on (can’t recall his name now, but I visited the guy I broke out of jail to work in the library vault/ran the letter by.. I will mention the quest and reward were so trivial as to be insulting waste of time). Also funny the guy I “saved” from the poisoning nun has a follow up but it’s just that “yeah he died and we still hate you”..

Also weird I got arrested trying to retrieve the librarian’s spectacles.. They play that “danger” music in the Batahl Lab/palace and the Vermund Gaol/castle but none of the guards care. In the jail there was an option to talk to an npc through the cell wall about Sven’s letter quest I had already completed (though I had nothing in my inventory to show her so..) - but the second I broke the pot and found the escape key, she was gone and none of the guards cared I had just walked out. Lots of systems/quests confuse me at this point.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Can't you just murder every single one of them and not revive them? Be the change you want to see in the world.

JB_0x0003

Literate
Can't you just murder every single one of them and not revive them?
I would never advocate for genocide. Perhaps they could be interned in some kind of camp far away from me instead? Just an idea.

In other news, I've been cheating to add gold for the express purpose of giving my pawn quests for very mundane objects which pay out absurd sums of money. Personal favorite so far is a bouquet of flowers. Are there any other hard to find but very low value items like this?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think the lack of enemy variety kicks more due to the increased map size. That´s the main game flaw that should be discussed when all the hysteric release nonsense is passed.

I would add the lack of interesting dungeons as my second main complaint. I have only visited several caves so far (just arrived to Battahl).

In DD1 we had varied and interesting ones paced into the main campaign like first part of Everfall, caves, Undead crypt were the cult had meetings, the tunnel in the mid of the map, Blue Moon Tower and some more. Nothing mind-blowing but definitely good and diverse enough.

My third complain would be loot rewards, also a problem in first game.

Herumor

Scholar
So I'm basically in the unmoored world now, how much time do I have to explore and wander about? I know it's been mentioned there's some kind of time limit, but I was wondering if there was a way to put a hold on it.

Anonona

Learned
So I'm basically in the unmoored world now, how much time do I have to explore and wander about? I know it's been mentioned there's some kind of time limit, but I was wondering if there was a way to put a hold on it.
Technically speaking, there is no time limit. In fact Pawns will comment that time isn't passing. What you have is that if you die now you cannot load autosaves nor regular saves, only saves after sleeping on an inn/house. If you rest too much the red clouds will engulf more of the world. You can stop this from happening by going to the red pillars of light and facing the bosses there. After you do so a fifth pillar will appear, which if you interact with will end the game.

If you have destroyed the first four pillars, as long as you do not interact with this last pillar, you can play as much as you want in the unmoored world, but there is a caveat; you have limited rests. I think around 12 rests. Once they run out you cannot rest again, so technically no health recovery. You can go around this by switching vocations which I think recovers your health and using wakestones.

Spike

Educated
Oaky so this pisses me off.

The update said you could make a new game without overwriting save data, but what the frick?...I tried making a new game (MALE HUMAN FIGHTER) but it asks if I want to erase the current save...Uh, what?

Capcom freaking really?
EDIT: It just makes overwriting your current game easier...Are you kidding me? I can't have AN EXTRA SAVE SLOT? Carnival monkey tier. Shoulda never dropped the bombs.

Suicidal

Arcane
Didn't have much time to play this week so I just tried it for the first time after the update. Don't know what they did (there weren't any patch notes related to optimization) but game now runs pretty much perfectly for me outside of towns and slightly better than before in Vermund capital.

Mortmal

Arcane
Ten days,only advancing by resting, but even a single day of rest and you risk losing ground in the first area. It's possible to miss valuable items; upon revisiting locations, you may encounter dullahans and enhanced versions of bosses, which drop unique pieces of armor not found elsewhere. Therefore, I recommend avoiding rest entirely and switching to a rogue class. Of course, if your autosave fails, you lose all progression.

Yosharian

Arcane
Oaky so this pisses me off.

The update said you could make a new game without overwriting save data, but what the frick?...I tried making a new game (MALE HUMAN FIGHTER) but it asks if I want to erase the current save...Uh, what?

Capcom freaking really?
EDIT: It just makes overwriting your current game easier...Are you kidding me? I can't have AN EXTRA SAVE SLOT? Carnival monkey tier. Shoulda never dropped the bombs.
It's Itsuno's VisionTM

Used restraint and didn’t insta-buy this on launch day (I loved the first one) due to some of the stuff I was hearing and the likelihood that it would be patched soon. From what I’ve seen a lot of it’s either been addressed since or they’ve officially announced theit intent to do so very soon (I think the framerate issue is one of the only remaining big, actual objective issues left to address?) so I took the plunge.

Am I the only one who takes WAY too long making a character in this game (and the first)? I haven’t even gotten to gameplay yet. Knowing you can only have one sav file and certain items need to be bought to change appearance etc. has my OCD really making me indecisive. I’m gonna just pull the trigger now, though, and get this thing going.

I’m not expecting it to revolutionize the first one. I just hope it’s an equal amount of fun as that was when it comes to exploring and fighting as that one was. More of the same, except with two generations’ worth of polish since, is what I’m hoping for.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's NOT very cool that items can apparently just vanish. Found a cool shield for my pawn - Back in town it's gone. I think I even lost a portcrystal.

Perkel

Arcane
The story completely falls apart past Venworth. Everything you did there is of no meaning, and nothing makes sense. It's as if they omitted half of the story, and then it goes to an abrupt end. It's not the only half-baked thing; there are lots of bugs, some game breaking. Obviously, no quality control; Japanese games used to be very polished. Now, we have a 70 euros game, minimum 85 euros for the deluxe edition. There's no piracy, no loss of money, as it has Denuvo and console versions. Most people are unable to pirate on consoles. But the result is something half-baked with a serious lack of care, and there are microtransactions to boot. There's nothing to justify the state of this game besides extreme greed from Capcom.

How does it fall apart i don't see it. What bugs ? I feel like you played completely different game.
Game is polished gameplay wise, I didn't encounter single bug. It is just that performance is shit.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Found my stuff, it was in my deposit so I guess it might have gotten ported there.
Everything you give a hired pawn or it picks up automatically goes to your stash when you're done with it. If you equip a hired pawn with a better sword or shield you better remember to take it back or it goes to the pawn's master.

Herumor

Scholar
Welp, I'm done with the game.

59 hours for my first run and I think I did the majority of sidequests, except stuff like the Sphinx - because how the fuck was I supposed to memorize my first Seeker Token's location - and I realize I'm not going to replay this game until something like Dark Arisen comes out for it because there's just no joy in it for me. I did like the true ending credits song though, but I still prefer Eternal Return / Coils of Light over it. The soundtrack is just one of those things that DD2 took a big hit on when you compare it to the first game, even without Dark Arisen. Did they not involve the same people from before?

I think enough has been said about a lack of enemy variety, so I won't bother repeating what we all already know.

I did like the armor and weapon variety, but again, like other parts of the game, it definitely needs to be expanded later on. And I still don't understand why they removed gloves as a separate part.

It's a nice looking world, with its own quirks and what not, but I feel like this game could and should have been so much more. Biggest disappointment of the game is how lakcluster the ending felt - yes, even the true ending - and the fight with the Dragon. Grigori had such a better presence in the first game, and even the final fight with him was such a nice show and gameplay intermixed, but this one is just "Hop on my back, Arisen, I'm gonna monologue a bit at you, and then we land close to the spot where I took from, but I had to take a big turn so I could just talk to you".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom