Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2023: Results & Cool Graphs

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Disgusted by Rogue Trader scoring as highly as it did.

same

but at least colony ship is above it

Next time I guess Owlcat can just shit directly into your mouths for an assured GOTY pick?

this is what the codex is becoming

raeven

Educated
Disgusted by Rogue Trader scoring as highly as it did. Next time I guess Owlcat can just shit directly into your mouths for an assured GOTY pick?

As usual, the actual GOTY scored well among those discerning enough to play it, but nobody on the codex plays RPGs, so it got lost in the crowd.
Care to share with the class?

agris

Arcane
Patron
oldfags on absolute suicidewatch
9uo0vLB.png
Interested in this but I'm too retarded to understand graphs. It's showing that BG3 was votebombed by people who joined in like 2022/2023, and that people who joined earlier were generally more likely to vote it 4 or 5?
Outside of 2022, there was basically no difference by year. Well technically a very slight descent. Older players on average liked it more, but not by an enormous amount.
Keep in mind that the graph is only showing you vote trends for those that actually voted for it.

It would be interesting to see the same bg3 scores by registration date with the % of voters in any given registration year bucket who voted for the game as a floating numerical addition to the graph. Ie for x=2004 if 10 of us participated in the overall poll but only 3 voted for bg3 there would be “30%” floating next to that scatter point

Nostaljaded

Savant
The number of average votes per voter is 25,5. Its pretty clear that barely anyone here plays that many games and that most of the votes are by retards with second hand opinions. The list with the individual user votes is somewhat useful, its just a shame that many users that actually play games are missing.
Playing 100+ games a year is an absurd expectation, let alone playing 100+ RPGs. Plus most people don't just exclusively play new releases. So it shouldn't be a surprised there's "only" 25.5 votes per voter (I guarantee you the average player has not even finished 25 2023 releases, not even close).
You misunderstood me. I absolutely don't think or expect that people play 100 games, I meant exactly the opposite. The 25,5 is surprisingly high. That would mean that the average voter has finished a rpg from this year every two weeks on average. I don't doubt that there are a few people here who may manage that many games or even more, but I find it unlikely for an average, based on my general impression of forum activity.

That's a wrong interpretation of what 25.5 means; it actually means the number of average votes per game is 25.5 votes.
It's a rather useless data on its own, as popular games will have a lot more votes while obscure ones very little.

The median number of game votes by Kodexers who voted, is 6 games.
Using Median instead of Average, as it's less affected by dishonest votes (FWIW, average is 9.6 games, many thanks to Hellraiser & racofer). :M

Whether Kodexers 'on average' really have played 6 2023 listed games by 15 Feb 2024 is a question that cannot be reliably answered but what it can be interpreted, is:
Kodex voters 'on average' has a total of 6 (out of 162) 2023 game impressions from 'what they have played, watching let's play videos and hearsays'.

Nostaljaded

Savant
This is shitty vote. You basically put RT that had like 2 weeks to fix its shitty release vs BG3 that had almost 6 months for the same.. remove RT from this fake vote and leave it for 2024 vote.

Rogue Trader is released on 7 Dec, GOTY polling started on 8 Feb and closed on 15 Feb.
So it's actually 2 months, long enough to fix major bugs after full release.

If my memory holds, good to see that recent polling only starts in early/mid Feb, as compared to older polls which started on mid/end Jan.

Still, will advocate to start future polling only in end Feb/early Mar.
So that Dec game releases have more time to be chewed on (= more votes), and thus a better grouped indicator, relative to earlier in the year game releases.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
JA3 is cool and all but it's pretty clear BG3 got review bombed a bit. I don't think it was a 5/5 game but closer than just about anything else I played this year and a long way from a 1/5 experience.

A 1/5 for me is something that's fundamentally broken without any redeeming features. If you genuinely think BG3 falls into that category you're either taking the piss or gay romance is just too triggering for you.

On the other end of the scale from what I played of Forspoken it was worse than both DIV and Starfield, both of which were obvious review bomb targets. Not great games but not 1/5 either.

Again, the Votes for JA3 are genuine, it's high score and thus placing on the poll is absolutely organic. People can certainly have differing opinions but it's simply wrong to think that JA3 was Voted so high because of how bad BG3 was. It's a logical fallacy to associate it's high score with BG3 unexpected lower score, period.

Secondly, what does Review Bombing mean in this case? The only way the Votes of 1/5 would not be valid and natural Votes if the subjectivity of the Users experience was not the point of the poll but there are no objective standards it *is* a poll about an opinion on a game.

Unless people want to claim that it should not be allowed to have Chicks with dicks and Bear sex in a game affect it's score (as it did here) but a shitty UI should, there is nothing wrong with the 1/5 votes. End of story.

It's just all salty cope.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The absolute butthurt of the BG3 fans for it not winning after they were almost bursting in anticipation of the butthurt when it wins is truly ironic.
Sounds hilarious, where can I find it?
At your service.
I increased my vote for BG3 to 5, in hopes that it drives some Codexers to self harm.
The results of the poll will be glorious. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in butthurt. Can't wait!
The results of the poll will be glorious. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in butthurt. Can't wait!
So many millions died already in those past years, over and over and over again, every single time. Can't wait.
I don't get it. Neither of these posts appear as butthurt. They are just making fun that once results are out then other posters will get butthurt.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
First off, you are an idiot if you think JA3 somehow "won" over BG3. The advantage is marginal, and even this marginal advantage is the result of much troll voting. So yeah, the copium is for you. Remove the handicap and BG3 is a clear CODEX RPGOTY 2023! Congratulations. As I've said numerous times in the past, reading comprehension is not the Codex denizens' strong suit.

For context, Divinity: Original Sin 1 had 1% of 1/1 votes in 2014. Baldur's Gate 3 had 13% of 1/5 votes.

So either BG3 is far worse than D:OS1, or 2024 Codex is far worse than 2014 Codex. Very hard to tell.
The Codex is a worse version of Reddit when it comes to discussing big titles. I watched Starfield, I watched BG3. Around release time the threads are inundated wtith shit users who sound as if they got into RPGs with Skyrim, RPing their "I'm a serious gamer" personas, having their shitty arguments.
While the contarian result is funny, anyone who would give BG3 a 1 is absolutely unserious. I have a nice list of posters whose opinions on games I can just outright ignore.
It was you who said you find Pillars of Eternity (1) more fun to play than Arcanum. So much for your taste and your "seriousness".
RT isn't an RPG. It's a text-heavy, tactical, TB game with deep lore and complex RPG build elements
Feigning complexity with "much ability, much number" design is enough to convince you a system is complex, or are you just joking?

Also, YES, including expansion DLCs (!) in a poll about games released in that year makes me question if the poll is composed by people who can make a difference between the two.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Feigning complexity with "much ability, much number" design is enough to convince you a system is complex, or are you just joking?
A bit of a joke, I suppose. However, they butcher and, at the same time, bloat-ware my beloved RPG genre in the most inconceivable of ways possible. Extremely bare-bones adventuring elements, a really bad case of quantity over less-and-quality in writing, an almost hyperbolic soup-opera web of intricacies in questing, often hurting the substance.
But lo, they do combat, builds, and lore great almost without comparison.
I don't know how to feel, probably despair and fried dopamine circuits at the same time :/

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So either BG3 is far worse than D:OS1, or 2024 Codex is far worse than 2014 Codex. Very hard to tell.
Not that hard to tell.
We got a lot more "oh no, wymyn and romance in muh game, such woke" people now who are very insecure and have a strong need to compensate via troll voting.
That and the usual contrarians who just can't stand if a lot of people like something.
But I guess that was sarcasm to begin with :lol:

Doesn't really matter, though. Although JA3 didn't really grab me at all, that was due to me realizing I just don't like that kind of setting anymore (and some minor game design bullshittery), it's a fairly good game and has enough RPG to it to fit in the poll.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Strangely, I do not see THQ Nordic tweeting about this victory. Could it be that they don't want to be affiliated with these gentlemen?
I also don't see Larian tweeting about getting 2nd place on RPG Codex, but they do tweeted about their gayming awards.
Of course, they don't want to be affiliated with the site, also sven more or less said that roxxor DOS review is shit.
I would like a source for this
0.gif

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is shitty vote. You basically put RT that had like 2 weeks to fix its shitty release vs BG3 that had almost 6 months for the same.. remove RT from this fake vote and leave it for 2024 vote.

Rogue Trader is released on 7 Dec, GOTY polling started on 8 Feb and closed on 15 Feb.
So it's actually 2 months, long enough to fix major bugs after full release.

If my memory holds, good to see that recent polling only starts in early/mid Feb, as compared to older polls which started on mid/end Jan.

Still, will advocate to start future polling only in end Feb/early Mar.
So that Dec game releases have more time to be chewed on (= more votes), and thus a better grouped indicator, relative to earlier in the year game releases.
Poll was before even its first major patch. And bunch of people didn't even play it due to waiting for patches.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Poll was before even its first major patch. And bunch of people didn't even play it due to waiting for patches.

Here is a proposition - make a "Codex RPGOTY - Retarded Edition" poll.

Why we will call it "Retarded Edition" is because we will vote on games released the year before last year. So in 2024 we would vote for games released in 2022. That way they will have time to reach a more or less complete state, with DLCs released. And more people will have had time to actually play those games.

In the official description we will say that "We believe that "retarded edition" voting system is the best fit for, and most descriptive of, current year game development cycles and game design trends. And here at the RPG Codex, we like to stick with the trends".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom