Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian Reveals 'Project Eternity' - Kickstarter Live

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
ONE MIRRION DORRA!

mirrion.jpg

Smarts

Scholar
They might be going pretty heavy on the ethical philosophy in this one, even more so than usual.

"One good life. One extraordinary life. What levy must be paid for such a thing?

If the gods won't answer, it's for us to decide.

That's some existentialist shit right there in the 'box quote'. Might need to break out my copy of Ethics for Dummies again.

Pretty sure that's Kickstarter-RPG-as-mythos

Likely, but I think I just spotted one of the devs mentioning Kierkegaard as an inspiration somewhere in this thread or the other one.

I gave them money but at the same time I'm like: in B4 retardo: in six months "Finally we do it 3D! Hooray! And you can take cover but it's still a turn-based old-school experience, promise! Just like GTA 4 for we have to upgrade this shit and IGN and Gamespot! Hooray!".

Fargo has produced a great number of incredible games and I'll give him that: he is a great game producer, one of the best. But I never trust a single word that he's uttering, having been burned on his Bard's Tale reboot. It's the same for the old jewish film producers from Hollywood: Mayer was spouting bullshit all day long while producing sometimes great and astounding movies. I believe in Fargo but I don't trust him.

Great producers are by nature deceptive, it's part of their trade. Artists are dumb for they can only tell the truth. They need a great producer to lie. Urquhart and Fargo are very good at this game.

That's why it's so difficult for Vince or Cleve to finish their games even if they're obviously talented: they need a Great Weasel to attend conventions and say nonsense while feeding the hype.

MCA
The really good and potentially long-term part of this project is: more memorable characters and moments, the kinds of which have been very sparse in recent years and if their development tools and pipeline is robust enough, another surge of games made using the same engine or platform similar to how BG spawned a series of games using Infinity Engine.

Nonetheless, it's enraging that what lies in their hearts is the absolute banality of RTwP (though I like combat in IWD series and BG2 to a degree, TBH).

All things said and done, let's take another look at my thread of predictions. So many people actually expected TB. Massive LULZ. Even The Brazilian Slaughter.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
If they want some easy money, just put "romances" as a 3 million stretch goal. The biodrones will flock like there's no tomorrow ;)

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Congratulations on hitting the $1 million mark, Obsidian. Still, you're a bunch of cowards in my book.

I did support your project, albeit reluctantly - I'd lie if I said I wasn't bitter over your design-related decisions when it comes to the combat system.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I will say this: I want that cloth map, but going from 65$ (80$ for me) to 140$ (160$) is too much. If they had an 80$ tier (it can have that 20$ shipping) that's a 65$ tier + the cloth map, I would definetly upgrade and I think many people would also.

Somebody who has connection, pass it to MCA or others. This would be like when BG sold (at least in Poland) with a map and a fat manual.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would've liked to go for the $250 tier but I chickened out. I'm a fucking pee pants wuss, but I do get the box anyway to either relish or shit in.

Kahlis

Cipher
I will say this: I want that cloth map, but going from 65$ (80$ for me) to 140$ (160$) is too much. If they had an 80$ tier (it can have that 20$ shipping) that's a 65$ tier + the cloth map, I would definetly upgrade and I think many people would also.
It also seems excessive to have to put down $250 for a print copy of the "Collector's Book", which contains the manual, artwork, player's handbook, monster manual, etc. Every boxed copy of the game should at least have the manual's contents in print form. Getting a boxed copy with nothing in it but the game DVD is underwhelming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom