Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your personal top ten

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
It's extremely grindy.
Not any more grindy than say, any other Final Fantasy. If anything, it's less grindy. If I ignore all the side content that was added later and just do the original content, I'd barely have to grind.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It's extremely grindy.
Not any more grindy than say, any other Final Fantasy. If anything, it's less grindy. If I ignore all the side content that was added later and just do the original content, I'd barely have to grind.

What versions did you play? The original NES and the PSX re-release "hard mode" are the grindiest ones. Every other re-release requires little to no grind.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Dawn of Souls, PSP, and a bit of original NES

Oh, that explains it. Yeah, NES is the grindiest. What's funny is that the bosses themselves, or at least the ones I fought, are pathetically easy once you overcome the enemies in their way.

mbv123

Arbiter
Not ordered because I'm an indecisive faggot

1. Fallout: New Vegas
replayed it countless times and still found something new each time, just love everything about it really, it's a shame we'll never get a game with such levels of freedom ever again
2. Half Life 2
First fps I played from start to finish. Great pacing and atmosphere. Assaulting Nova Prospect while controlling army of expendable antlions while you hear combine freaking out through loudspeakers and Breen getting pissed was fun.
3. GTA: San Andreas
Know that game from A to Z. Spent shitloads of hours on it when I was a kid, just driving around, doing missions and listening to Radio X. Felt really huge at the time with 3 entire cities + countryside and desert to explore.
4. Medieval 2 Total War
Favorite Total War game for me, has lots of great mods and basically the pinnacle for the franchise for me.
5. Star Wars: KOTOR 2
Despite it's faults, I've never been really that immersed in a game. Great writing and characters. It's a shame that it isn't more polished and while TSLRCM restores most of the stuff, it still doesn't fix the underwhelming ending. But it's the best thing that came out of Star Wars so whatever. Also has the best vidya waifu (Visas).
6. Darkest Hour
Pinnacle for Hearts of Iron style of game, imo. Great mods and overall isn't too autistically complicated like HoI 3 which I could never get into, and has a much better map than HoI2.
7. Mount & Blade: Warband
one of it's kind, a great game overall, lots of great mods ranging from medieval Europe to Westeros and Feudal Japan. Nothing beats leading a cavalry charge with your bros against bunch of peasant fucking shits.
8. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
Creepy as fuck, yet so intriguing at the time. Exploring abandoned soviet factories filled with anomalies and weird shit is great. а ну чееки брееки ив дамке
9. Call of Duty 1 + UO
Best WW2 FPS ever made.
10. Mass Effect
Last good Bioware game (Dragon Age was boring, generic shit). Good setting which was wasted in sequels. Bit clunky and awkward in controls but the story was kept interesting enough till the end and the last hours from Ilos to credits are top tier.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
In no particular order (excluding Fallout 1, 2, PST) here are my favorite games I can still replay and enjoy to this day. I could go on to list influential/shit games of my youth like System Shock, Bioforge, 7th Guest, Worms, GTA Vice City, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros, TMNT, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Bubsy, Gex, Populous, Theme Park, Sims, Quake, Dino Crisis, Wolfenstein 3D, and many others...but I won't. :)

Fallout New Vegas - The best of a bad situation made flesh so to speak. I have probably played this more than Fallout 2 mainly due to great mod potential. Plus after Fallout 3 the hardcore fans just needed a little break.

Shadowrun - the game that introduced me to dialog and problem solving/adventure game mechanics. The music still gets me going. The combat kinda sucks but it was unique.

Earthbound - The nostalgia carries this one I am sure. I love almost everything about it minus the part with Jeff and the ducks. That part drags ass a little.

Doom - Can you get better level design and gameplay in a FPS? I still play it a few times a week.

Warcraft 2 - It is a tossup between this Lords of the Realm 2, Lords of Magic, and Dark Reign, for playtime but Warcraft popped my cherry and the lore was great.

Resident Evil Remake - I am/was such a huge fanboy it is hard not to list the first two games along with this. THIS FUCKING GAME is still tense to this day. It was so fucking good it killed the Gamecube. Silent Hill 2 is a narrow second here.

Civilization 5 - It might not be as refined as 4 but it sure as fuck is fun to play. Mods help.

Metal Gear Solid - The gameplay is dated due to the controls, but I get a fucking hardon just playing the intro in my head right now. Oh God the urges...

Final Fantasy Tactics - Damn I need to restart my last playthrough of this which shows I still replay this. I still remember losing a game due to not using more than one save slot on the legendary one on one fight.

Vagrant Story - Underrated. Overlooked. Obscure. One of the best looking/sounding games on the PSX. FF12 brought it back into the limelight but I see no sequels and the world might be better for it. God knows they would fuck it up.

Super Castlevania 4 - The best playing non-Metroidvania game in the series.

I went light on RPG's due to where the thread was posted. I could throw in some Final Fantasy or Might and Magic, or Super Mario RPG of all things. Limiting myself to 10 in lists like this is futile. I still find myself wanting to namedrop Super Mario Kart or Wizards and Warriors (just did). I think when a game digs a hole into your nostalgia center of your brain it is hard to dislodge, but these are games I could still boot up and enjoy which is rare. It feels good when a game is just fun to play. After playing RPG's for so long sometimes reading pages of text fries your brain and you just want to jump and kill shit.

Last edited:

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Settlers 2
Settlers 4
Also, probably HoMM3.

Top lists are stupid.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Homeworld, Mafia, Blood Money, X-Com, and Splinter Cell (first trilogy) in no particular order, though Homeworld is definitely #1.

Falksi

Arcane
1. The Witcher 2
2. Super Mario World
3. Dragon Age Origins
4. Mass Effect 1
5. Deus Ex
6. X-com UFO Defense
7. Morrowind
8. Final Fantasy X
9. Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting
10. Metal Gear Solid
11. Batman Arkham Asylum
12. God of War
13. The Warriors
14. Phantasy Star 4
15. Okami
16. Monkey Island Trilogy
17. Tie Fighter
18. FF7
19. Smash TV
20. Summoner 2

Even though it's a list of games most will have played, still hope there are a few games in there which are new to some of you, and you enjoy trying.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
1. Might and Magic 6/7 First RPG that i played and it will be in my hard for ever.
2.Deus Ex you all know why
3.Thief 2/3
4.Gothic 3 Played it before Gothic 2 and in a peculiar time ;) it have one of the best open worlds for me.
5.Arcanum
6.Vampire Masquerade
7.Baldur's gate 2
8.Torment
9.Age of empires 2
10.Doom 2
11.Witcher 3
12.Freelancer
13.Fallout 2
14.Shadowrun Dragonfall
15.Drakensang The River of Time
16.Age of wonders 1/2
17.Divine Divinity
18.King of Dragon pass - if you haven heard about this game you should watch a video about it and maybe try it.
19.Laxius Power
20.Quest for Glory
Most of those games are at the same level in my cynical heart.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Muh favourite games? That's a long list. Here it goes:
  • Dark Souls PTDE; Dark Souls II DLC's; Demon Souls
  • Metal Gear Solid V TPP + Hardcore Mod
  • Enderal (Skyrim Total Conversion) + Wild Cat Combat; TK Dodge; Dynamic Shealth; Fire and Ice Overhaul; Ultimate Dragons; iCompass; Enchanced Camera and others less important Mods
  • Gothic II GOLD
  • Battlefield 4 and 1
  • Rainbow 6 Siege
  • Resident Evil 4 and Remake (for GameCube)
  • Amnesia
  • Alien Isolation
  • Metroid PRIME
  • DOOM 1,2 and 2016
  • HITMAN (2016)
  • Thief GOLD; Thief II Metal Age and The Dark Mod
  • PORTAL 2
  • Super Smash Bros. Mêlée - Best Fighting Game Ever
  • The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask; Twilight Princess; A Link to the Past; Breath of the Wild
  • Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Bros. 3 and World
  • Battle Brothers - this was a hard choice, because I was also considering Jaggeed Alliance II and XCOM 1/Apocalypse, but while BB lacks the content these other 3 games have, BB, at least for me, has better combat
  • Metal Gear Solid 3 Substance
  • Deus Ex 1 and Mankind Divided
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Pokemon Soul Silver
  • Realms of Arkania: Star Trail
  • Wizardry 6, 7 and 8
I know it's a long list, but for me each one of these are deverse the honour and are their genres kings. And also because they are the only games that I completed (completing games is rare for me, I tend to only complete games I like and consider good) and still replayed again without getting bored.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Arx fatalis -- I prefer Arx to ultima underworld, mostly because the atmosphere is done much better, it's a shame that the various factions are pretty small, but maybe one day they'll do a nice sequel.

Evil Islands -- kind of a squad tactics with real time combat, it has body part damage targeting which lowers the stats that the limb is tied to (damaging a leg will reduce movement etc...), and it's got stealth too(it's ok). The problem I have with this game though is that it becomes kinda meh after about the half way point.

Heroes of annihilated empires -- hero/RTS hybrid. The level cap is really high if you play on skirmish, the campaign increases the cap by 10 every mission. There's also no unit limit, so as long as you have the resources, you can keep spamming units. One notable thing this game has is that it looks really nice (3D with 2D characters(sprites), it also has a weird shifted perspective view that makes it look interestingly nice).

Spellforce series -- Another hero/RTS hybrid, I'm not sure how the new iterations are, but I enjoyed the 1st one the most, story was kinda crap and the voice acting was really bad, but at the time I couldn't find any hero/RTS hybrids, maybe it's just nostalgia now.

Strider 2014 -- Fairly enjoyable metroidvania with emphasis on speed (my fingers hurt real bad when I was done with it).

Postal 2 -- Pretty funny fps, similiar in structure to deus ex where you have a hub and missions to do that sometimes lead you to other areas. You'll mostly be playing this for the laughs, so don't expect good combat, or story.

GrowUp -- A nice and interesting casual game, kinda like a metroidvania for kiddies; didn't take long for me to beat it either (about 12 hours or less).

Tale of Wuxia -- really hard chinese CRPG with some light interactive novel elements put into it (talking to people, learning combat techniques by training yourself, etc...).

E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy -- The best way I can describe this is a poor man's deus ex. Has interesting lore though.

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I'll do a numbered list but there is no real hierarchy to the way I feel about these games, I like them for different reasons:
1. Silent Hill 2
2. Fallout 1
3. STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
4. Mother 2 (Earthbound)
5. Fallout: New Vegas
6. Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
7. Shadow Tower
8. Demon's Souls
9. Ico
10. Banjo Kazooie

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ah nice, I love these kind of lists.
Note: Except for maybe the runners up this is ( as opposed to for example agentorange ) meant as the actual hierarchy, meaning: 1 is best, 2 is 2nd best etc.

1.: Gothic

2.: Vagrant Story (Playstation)

3.: Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic II

4.: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

5.: Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic

6.: Deus Ex

7.: Deus Ex: Invisible War

8.: Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines

9.: Dragon Age: Origins

10.: The Witcher II

11.: Alpha Protocol

12.: Pillars of Eternity

13.: Max Payne

14.: The Walking Dead - Season 1 (Telltale)

15.: The Wolf among us

Runners up: Max Payne 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Torment: Tides of Numenéra, Wasteland 2, Life is strange, Shadowrun returns, Gothic II, Day of Defeat, Pillars of Eternity: The White March 1&2, Neverwinter Nights 2

Falksi

Arcane
Note: Except for maybe the runners up this is ( as opposed to for example agentorange ) meant as the actual hierarchy, meaning: 1 is best, 2 is 2nd best etc.

Runners up: Max Payne 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Torment: Tides of Numenéra, Wasteland 2, Life is strange, Shadowrun returns, Gothic II, Day of Defeat, Pillars of Eternity: The White March 1&2, Neverwinter Nights 2

Interested to hear more about your opinion on Invisible War mate? Reason being most of the other games on your list are faves of mine too, so we clearly have similar tastes, but I've always avoided Invisible War because of how slated it got.

No particular order:

Silent Hill 1/2
Thief 1
System Shock 2
Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Deus Ex
Max Payne 1/2
Psychonauts
Dark Souls 1/2
Fallout 1/2
Duke Nukem 3D
Starcraft
GTA Series
Hitman Blood Money
F.E.A.R.
Stronghold 1/Crusader
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Half Life
Diablo II
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
STALKER Call of Pripyat
Age of Empires II and III
Age of Mythology

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Interested to hear more about your opinion on Invisible War mate? Reason being most of the other games on your list are faves of mine too, so we clearly have similar tastes, but I've always avoided Invisible War because of how slated it got.
Well, it's a really long time ago since I played it, so I was pretty young and maybe rather easily impressed.
However as far as I remember what I really loved about IW was a) the cyberpunk-ish atmosphere which was real dense and b) that there was comparatively good choice&consequence in the game with distinct factions you could work for, different ending sequences etc.
Back in the day I liked the story as well, I don't know if I would judge it as positively today though.
I remember it's major flaw being way too short. But since it left me longing for more that was still ok.

Since you seem to like The Witcher II as well ( :incline: ) you might have some understanding of what importance atmosphere and choice&consequence usually have in a game.
For most of the Codex, The Witcher II is the most unpopular Witcher, while IW is considered to be total garbage. But I think apart from the hivemind factor this also may stem from a different kind of perspective on gaming per se. This are probably mechanic- and/or exploration-fags who are all about "challenge" 'n shit and can't get past these things if these aspects aren't to their liking.

Falksi

Arcane
Cheers Joni Odin. Think you've hit the nail on the head regards atmosphere etc. I play to enjoy, not to achieve anything. Will have to give IW a try.

xemous

Arcane
I played INVISIBLE WAR a few years ago and felt the same way

it's an underrated game

other classics I recommend are
Condemned Criminal Origins (Condemned: Psycho Crime in JAPAN) and
DEAD SPACE 1 but only with a XBOX 1 and/or 360Controller

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
In no order, because actually ranking them is tough and I'm at work so I can't drink my way through this.

• Baldur's Gate II
  • Deus Ex
  • The Bard's Tale
  • Quest for Glory 1
  • Morrowind
  • Dark Souls
  • Bloodborne
  • WoW (yeah, I said it, fuck you!)
  • Crysis
  • Fallout 2

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
In no particular order:
  1. Heroes of Might & Magic 3
  2. Deus Ex
  3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
  4. King's Field 2 (1 in the US)
  5. Bloodlines
  6. Doom
  7. Rainbow Six: Raven Shield
  8. System Shock 2
  9. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
  10. Deus Ex: Invisible War
Honorable mentions: F.E.A.R, Hexen 1/2, Thief 1-3, Shadow Tower Abyss, TES: Daggerfall, Chaos Overlords, Mordor: Depths of Dejenol, Unreal, Shin Megami Tensei I, King's Bounty (original), Ghost Recon, Alpha Protocol, Fallout, Summoner.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Not trying to pick a fight but goddamn, I feel like I am being trolled when dudes put Invisible War on their lists. Did we play the same fucking game?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Championship Manager 00/01 and Championship Manager 01/02.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom