Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You wanna know what I miss?

odrzut

Arcane
Oh yes, I'm not complaining about supply and demand pricing, but rather the way it was implemented. The problem is that the merchants' inventories never change, so the prices always go down once you sell a merchant an item*. Thus, if I wanted to sell those bandits' long swords, I would wait until each character was carrying a couple of them, then sell them all in a single transaction. Not that the price per item decreased each time if I sold them individually, but only once when sold as a group,

Hmm, nice system and seems easy to fix:

- count selling groups of items same as selling them individually (each item in group costs less).
- spawn new enemies/NPCs taking their inventory from nearby shops so the most popular items disapear from the shops

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You can't summon that many summoned creatures in the BGII engine MicoSelva what cheat are you using to do that? :M

That is one of the reasons I still prefer the BG engine, because of the EPIC SUMMONS. And that's how I killed Saervok (the very first time I played BG, before the Expansion and patch, which beefed him up considerably).

I believe a Kobold archer actually placed the final blow to him. THAT WAS SO GLORIOUS......

Melcar

Arcane
You can't summon that many summoned creatures in the BGII engine MicoSelva what cheat are you using to do that? :M

That is one of the reasons I still prefer the BG engine, because of the EPIC SUMMONS. And that's how I killed Saervok (the very first time I played BG, before the Expansion and patch, which beefed him up considerably).

I believe a Kobold archer actually placed the final blow to him. THAT WAS SO GLORIOUS......
Yeah, kobold archers where the best summons. One of those fuckers always rolled a 20.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
- count selling groups of items same as selling them individually (each item in group costs less).
From a common-sense point of view it makes sense, since the merchants are paying a higher price for a bulk transaction than buying items individually (opposite of real life), but on the other hand it can lead to prices decreasing real fast. Also, to reflect supply and demand, merchants in the same town should technically lower their prices as well. But there's an iron shortage going on, so the price for items made of iron should not decrease all the way to 1 gp. To top it off, merchants never lower their prices even when they have a ton of short swords in stock.

In my opinion, the developers should not have bothered with decreasing the prices: if they removed the batch loophole, the prices would go down to fast; they left it in, so players can get full price by switching merchants and selling in batches, but this takes extra time. I guess one can argue that the point was to inconvenience players who wanted to maximize their loot revenue, but I doubt Bioware thought that far ahead.

On the other hand, the broken economy creates an incentive for munchkins who figure out how to abuse its rules, in keeping with the spirit of D&D.
:troll:
Edit: I re-read your post and your second suggestion would remove the problem of prices going down to 1 gp per item.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
No cheat. The version of tutu/BGT I used allowed for BG1-style summons. And good that it did, or I would never be able to solo it. ;)

You can solo SCS/Tutu without summon cheese, on Insane. Well, maybe not you. Judging by the links in your sig, you're a noob. But I and others can.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
You can solo SCS/Tutu without summon cheese, on Insane. Well, maybe not you. Judging by the links in your sig, you're a noob. But I and others can.
It's not considered good form to belittle those who use their valuable time for writing awesome LP's for our entertainment.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It's not considered good form to belittle those who use their valuable time for writing awesome LP's for our entertainment.

I know it sounds bitchy, but it's hard to say someone sucks at a game without telling them. And his LP didn't entertain me in the slightest. I'm a hard critic of LPs, you either need to be an expert or be somewhat witty or both: he is neither.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
By all means, go ahead. It will be my pleasure to read your LP. ;)

I started doing an SCS2/Ascension solo run, but as I wrote up the first few battles I came to the conclusion that the Codex isn't the best forum to exhibit such a thing.

I might do an LP of another game in the future, though. One that the Codex (generally, there are a few genuine IE veterans here) aren't embarrassing noobs at.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, of course I am butthurt, Lilura! How could I not be when such a prominent poster decides to tear apart my IE prowess and the life's work that is my LP, with such detailed and well argumented critique, and then concludes by saying that his/her own LPs will be hosted elsewhere, as codexers are generally a bunch of 'embarassing noobs' when it comes to IE, which apparently makes them not worthy of witnessing the marvel that said LP will be.

Actually that latter part causes me even more butthurt, because I will not be able to see your IE mastery and learn from it, and my life will never be complete! Or maybe it will, if I beg enough? Please, sensei, teach us, show us the true IE ways! Save us from eternal noobness! Maybe you can post Your masterpiece both in that other place and on The Codex (crazy, right)? Maybe just a sneak peek? Throw us noobs a little bone now and then? Pretty please?

odrzut

Arcane
Edit: I re-read your post and your second suggestion would remove the problem of prices going down to 1 gp per item.

For the best immerssiun when game tries to spawn archer and no shop nearby has a bow make him spearmen instead and let him bitch in the fight that you couldn't buy a bow these times.

Now that I think about it I remember top-down space shooter-trading game: warpath. http://www.synthetic-reality.com/images/warpath1.jpg

It had similar economy system to what you described but the planets used up resoures after you left them. It was nice.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Well, of course I am butthurt, Lilura! How could I not be when such a prominent poster decides to tear apart my IE prowess and the life's work that is my LP, with such detailed and well argumented critique, and then concludes by saying that his/her own LPs will be hosted elsewhere, as codexers are generally a bunch of 'embarassing noobs' when it comes to IE, which apparently makes them not worthy of witnessing the marvel that said LP will be.

Actually that latter part causes me even more butthurt, because I will not be able to see your IE mastery and learn from it, and my life will never be complete! Or maybe it will, if I beg enough? Please, sensei, teach us, show us the true IE ways! Save us from eternal noobness! Maybe you can post Your masterpiece both in that other place and on The Codex (crazy, right)? Maybe just a sneak peek? Throw us noobs a little bone now and then? Pretty please?

Thanks for reminding me what wit isn't, and that the only power overdone sarcasm has is to make the source of it look daft.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks for reminding me what wit isn't
Any time. Although, you have read my previous posts, so why would you need reminding? ;)

the only power overdone sarcasm has is to make the source of it look daft.
That is not its only power, but it can do that, yes.

Sarcasm aside, I really think you should consider posting your LP on The Codex too. Of course I cannot force you, but people here would probably like and appreciate a solo/insane/SCS2 LP (I know I would). You could probably just repost it from that other place, with maybe slight alterations when it comes to emoticons, etc.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Do it, man.
What's the worst that can happen?
If in doubt check my signature and see how people will not hate you (overtly) for trying and abandoning it after 3 updates.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
One thing I miss is larger party sizes. Whereas the Wizardries, early M&M's, Gold Box and IE games had parties of size 6-8, it seems like 4 is the default in more recent titles (ex. last few M&M's, Dragon Age) .

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
One thing I miss is larger party sizes. Whereas the Wizardries, early M&M's, Gold Box and IE games had parties of size 6-8, it seems like 4 is the default in more recent titles (ex. last few M&M's, Dragon Age) .

Largely true, though Mount & Blade Warband allows for 16 companions in your party. They have backgrounds, inter-party conflicts, moral standards and unique missions. They also bolster the lore. Awesome game.

BG2 and PS:T allowed for 5 fleshed out companions of varying quality, but Origins companions - like them or not - apart from the Dog, they're all fleshed out with voicesets and unique body language (I'm not saying Origins companions are better, I'm saying it takes more time to dev, and is more expensive). Arcanum allowed for 7max, but again, they're of varying quality.

The varying quality is, imo, as such: Vhailor and Ignus have nothing on Morte, Dak'kon, Annah and Grace; Cernd and Valygar have nothing on Jaheira, Viconia, Edwin, Sarevok and Imoen, and many of the Arcanum companions are weak against Virgil and Raven.

Mask of the Betrayer only allows for 3 companions in a party (more with mods), but I'd take them over a party of 30 Bioware abominations, anyday.

If you want more companions for combat and lots of laughs, well, nothing beats Jagged Alliance 2.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

Largely true, though Mount & Blade Warband allows for 16 companions in your party. They have backgrounds, inter-party conflicts, moral standards and unique missions. They also bolster the lore. Awesome game.
I played the vanilla edition and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm thinking of trying out some mods as well, like Diplomacy mod or Middle Earth. Only 8 of the heroes are able to be in the party at once for the long term, due to said inter-party conflicts, which is still more than pretty much any other game.

Bought JA2 a couple of months ago, didn't have time to try it yet. I'm looking forward to it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Only 8 of the heroes are able to be in the party at once for the long term, due to said inter-party conflicts, which is still more than pretty much any other game.

Not sure where you read that, but it's not true. It's possible to keep them all if you know what you're doing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like picking up stupid junk as long as the interface is made in a way where picking up useless crap isn't automatic or easier than ignoring it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom