Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Unwanted

Hornawkawk

Unwanted

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
That just shows a level of mentality that's wrong.

In the DEVELOPER.

By changing that scene, the developer is admitting to being a massive hypocrite. The game's top selling point is the over-the-top violence, everybody knows this. For the developer to get squeamish over a particular kind of violence, but letting all the other violence slide and even seem essential to the game?

That's a double standard the world can do without.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Games are created for adult audience.
Games are new ART form.

Well, if you can't even show a rape on a game how do you expect games to be taken seriously? The ones trying to turn gaming into more respectable branch are also doing their best to make it stay as an entertainment for kids. I'm not advocating rape scenes in games but how do you expect to be taken seriously when you censor everything that causes butthurt and censor even the +18 games?

I think western gaming culture can learn a thing or two from their eastern friends.

garren

Arcane
Patron
You can always use an alt :troll:

I didn't find the guys answers too bad, it seemed to me that he was just trying to avoid being labeled as some ciscentered misogynist rapist by the RPS crowd. The interviewer was really rubbing it in, i would have lost my shit at some point.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

I didn't find the guys answers too bad, it seemed to me that he was just trying to avoid being labeled as some ciscentered misogynist rapist by the RPS crowd. The interviewer was really rubbing it in, i would have lost my shit at some point.

If I use an alt, someone will pull the "Oh look at what we have here, the same IP but different names HMMMMMM" card. Besides, I don't like alting.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin

Borelli

Arcane

From the same guy that brought us this amazing interview: www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/02/cdp-on-cyberpunks-trailer-social-commentary-in-games/
Someday i will enter the social commentary gathering (ordinary people dealing with real life issues, not gamers) and start asking them:"that's nice and all but i couldn't help but notice that while discussing modern human rights none of you are playing a videogame."

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It would be cool to gather a team of violence survivors with PTSD and mount an assault on these fucker's forums.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Sexual assault would seem to fit in the world of Hotline Miami just fine. It's a brutal world, and I don't see a reason to draw arbitrary lines set from the outside that one kind of violence is ok but another is not. Let the developer determine that. I don't like the idea that all video games (or any medium) need to be cleared of all triggers. That's just stifling to creativity, an amount of freedom is required for the medium to grow. I know it's not pleasant, but if you can't stand it, don't play it? The idea that it can't exist seems needlessly restrictive. Rape is a horrifying part of human existence but that doesn't mean you can't show it, it just means you should deal with it in a manner that doesn't belittle it. I agree with the thinking behind these complaints to some extent but I don't like the solution, to just purge it completely.

But speaking of how you deal with it, it does sound like the scene is just poorly handled. It doesn't clearly communicate what's about to happen, control is taken away from you, and you're *forced* to rape her? That doesn't work for me. At the very least give us some options. Though I seem to remember that was never Hotline's strong suit, I once tried sparing a guy but I couldn't leave the area until I killed him. Maybe that form of storytelling works best for them, but I don't think that's playing to videogaming's strengths.

RPS' headline is pretty misleading by the way. All the dev is saying is they'll re-assess after testing in the full game. That's something that probably would have happened anyway. That interview is really hostile anyway, good on the dev for keeping his head.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It seems that RPS has bitten more than they could have chew and had to block comments on that article to stem the tide of negative comments about their hypocrisy.

Sexual assault would seem to fit in the world of Hotline Miami just fine. It's a brutal world, and I don't see a reason to draw arbitrary lines set from the outside that one kind of violence is ok but another is not. Let the developer determine that. I don't like the idea that all video games (or any medium) need to be cleared of all triggers.
One thing that I find problematic that some people think that violence isn't a trigger and that rape is the only legitimate source of PTSD.
Actually, I've read series of articles by some retard from the sexual violence victims lobby that casually dismisses in-game violence as a trigger because victims of murder are dead. Because totally, like murders are 100% successful, don't leave grieving families and people who were merely threatened with death or attacked non-lethally can't have PTSD and can't be triggered by on-screen violence.
In the end it boils down, "it makes me suffer, therefore it shouldn't exist and everyone that likes it is a bad person and if I enjoy something that makes others suffer, I have full right to like it because they aren't me".

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I know how the developers could avoid this negative publicity and keep their message. They just need to make the sexual assault victim a man, then no one will give a shit. Just like in real life!

But when the victim is a man, it's a funny joke. The scene isn't supposed to be funny.

Though I'd love it if the scene was kept but a neon advisory label stamped at the bottom of the screen:

WARNING: RAPE IS WRONG

That just shows a level of mentality that's wrong.

In the DEVELOPER.

By changing that scene, the developer is admitting to being a massive hypocrite. The game's top selling point is the over-the-top violence, everybody knows this. For the developer to get squeamish over a particular kind of violence, but letting all the other violence slide and even seem essential to the game?

That's a double standard the world can do without.

The developer isn't squeamish, the viewers are. He's changing the scene because he doesn't want idiots to label his game as "that game that makes light of rape" and most likely start a boycotting campaign or something equally retarded. Standing your ground is noble and all, but he probably wants the game to be commercially successful too.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The developer isn't squeamish, the viewers are. He's changing the scene because he doesn't want idiots to label his game as "that game that makes light of rape" and most likely start a boycotting campaign or something equally retarded. Standing your ground is noble and all, but he probably wants the game to be commercially successful too.

Which he cannot do without becoming a hypocrite AND a sellout. It's a no-win situation for him.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I know how the developers could avoid this negative publicity and keep their message. They just need to make the sexual assault victim a man, then no one will give a shit. Just like in real life!

Yup. Nobody lifted a finger at the rape scene in FEAR2. Which is my favourite example showing the hypocrisy of the social justice retards.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Ignored Awor. Finally.
You're saying it only because you were never triggered by violent video games and never had post-traumatic stress thingie resurface after playing a violent video game.

You're a typical ignorant l1brul shit that just follows the ideology without having any real knowledge.
I have spent several years on a forum about psychological problems and met many people who were traumatized by "normal" violence.
Contrary to the feminist fantasies, there are many types of events that can create PSTD, including accidents, all sorts of violence and harassment, catastrophes, sudden deaths of close people, etc.

Eat shit and die. I'd add you to me ignore list too, but you're sometimes useful, so I'm not going to do that :x .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom