Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xenonauts shaping up nicely

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
phelot said:
I do kind of fear that they're copying XCOM a bit too much. I don't think any game can live up to that challenge, but it still looks cool.

I kind of wish it wasn't aliens though. Aliens are soooo last decade! People are all about terrorists now.

Really? I really kinda want just a good remake. Every time they tried to change the formula they ended up with a crappier game.

kyrub

Augur
Man, cover system. :o
Destructible cover, with damaged carried over. :o
Now, let's see what they do to nerf sniping from distance!

@Brazilian slaughter
Indifferent landing zone is strange. I could see it reserved for shot down UFOs only, but UFO assault should really have some first step danger. At least it would feel being different.

Xenonauts said:
The loss of troops in the early game is particularly painful, as the player starts with a team of 12 experienced soldiers who have significantly higher stats than the fresh recruits you can hire in to bolster your team or replace the casualties. It’ll take at least two or three combat missions for the replacements to get up to speed.
Woohoo. Actually a pretty damn good idea! More of this smart strategic stuff, please.

As far as these changes make it into the game plus some cool alien stuff, I don't care about grahics. It seems about right, fully fonctional, not bad. I could use some close screenshots during Alien turns when my soldiers are in big danger. One needs more attachement to his troops, which original large screen X-com provides.

Btw, the game needs a more intelligent fog of war. What current unit sees, what other units see, what was explored but is unseen currently, what was unexplored. That is 4 types of light necessary. That would really improve the gameplay.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Unlike the original X-COM, there’s an exclusion zone around the dropship that prevents “Saving Private Ryan Syndrome” (where your troops are massacred trying to exit the ship)

Goddamn faggots!!
That's fucking disgusting. Also, I remember extensively using smoke grenades when exiting the ship in X-Com.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, it doesn't make much sense that the aliens wouldn't see the landing craft coming and not ready a welcoming party to meet it. But then again in the original game the aliens would often be staring in the opposite direction from the craft on the first turn, so that didn't make much sense either.

I guess these guys didn't much like instant Fusion Bomb explosion inside the landing craft much, hence the change.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Don't like that change but in the grand scheme of things, it's quite minor. Having 8 different versions of each of the 6 alien races, plus supporting "vehicles" for them sounds great.

And this is just beautiful:

screen10.jpg

Achilles

Arcane
The game looks beautiful, clean and functional. My hopes (among other things) are raised.

Aliens not being in the immediate vicinity of the ship makes a bit of sense. Realistically you would expect some kind of point defense system or gun ports that would massacre any nearby attackers, along with the aircraft either strafing visible alien groups or landing in a clearly open area beforehand. So its makes sense that an alien craft either just shot down or taken unaware and grounded should be waiting to ambush the craft. Its really not a huge loss anyway, the first step was pretty much never a problem as long as you made it with a tank (preferably of the explosive-ordinance variety).

The screenshots look quite good. It won't be winning any awards for most beautiful of 2D games but it's certainly not bad.

Destroid

Arcane
Indeed, I was going to say you could reason it that you land Hind style dropping a ton of rockets around the landing site to suppress defenders.

The graphics looks fine to me, although the vehicle does look a little funny, like it's levitating or it's perspective is slightly wrong.

Destroid said:
The graphics looks fine to me, although the vehicle does look a little funny, like it's levitating or it's perspective is slightly wrong.

What looks odd to me is that you see absolutely no tracks from where it has driven. It probably gives you that levitating feeling since it can't realistically exist in that state unless it was vertically dropped on that spot.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
How anyone could think this doesn't look good or polished is completely fucking beyond me. Mechanical changes make sense as well, always good to see folks complaining about dumb shit.

Nice to see they're making good progress on this beast. Excited for release.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Sergiu64 said:
Well, it doesn't make much sense that the aliens wouldn't see the landing craft coming and not ready a welcoming party to meet it. But then again in the original game the aliens would often be staring in the opposite direction from the craft on the first turn, so that didn't make much sense either.

I guess these guys didn't much like instant Fusion Bomb explosion inside the landing craft much, hence the change.
To be honest, now I think that the craft would be destroyed almost instantly when landing near aliens armed with any weapons heavier than plasma pistols.
I think that it would be much better if the X-Com craft wouldn't be on map, just like in X-Com: Apocalypse - the soldiers would get to the ship on foot from a safe LZ.
There could be an option of having teams enter from different edges of the map.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The thing i could do with the looks is put some random superficial elements into the game.

Like rocks, flowers and crap like that.
Things that won't change any thing in the game, but make the environment more varied.

a budda

Arbiter
CrimsonAngel said:
The thing i could do with the looks is put some random superficial elements into the game.

Like rocks, flowers and crap like that.
Things that won't change any thing in the game, but make the environment more varied.

seconded
doesn't look bad but too much ufo-like
map layouts weren't necessarily "advanced" either in ufo

so... could do with a bit of pimping and complicating things, also: bigger

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Overweight Manatee said:
Destroid said:

What looks odd to me is that you see absolutely no tracks from where it has driven. It probably gives you that levitating feeling since it can't realistically exist in that state unless it was vertically dropped on that spot.
Actually I think it's the lack of shadows from and on the vehicle.

desocupado

Magister
Garm said:
Fuck this game. I paid for X-Com once already.

Actually, while the game does look interesting, this guy has a point. If I want to play X-com, I install X-com.

What improvements are being implemented, what is changed in the formula for the better?

It seems there's only that air combat thing...

desocupado

Magister
Well, so it's a graphical upgrade, then?

Because I really don't care about graphics, and I'm used to the interface already.

My point still stands, what is improved, what is added?

Besides the bloody superfluous?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The air combat is a big chance, they have added additional aliens and weapons, the research tree is redone and supposedly more extensive. Plus it's a new engine which hopefully means better AI and so on - at least you won't need to mess around with X-ComUtil and/or Extender anymore or remember work-around tricks or anything.

Not that any of that stuff really prevents any of us from playing Ufo or TFTD again and again but it's nice to get something fresh to play in the same niche.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom