Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Tytus

Arcane
Spectre - I hate damn things, they are immune to overwatch

They are not, I took one of them down through overwatch fire. They do however have a low chance of getting hit in their gassious form.

Avatar could be mitigated better, with new options to reduce avatar counter common situations from XCom2, when you lose just because you cannot reach the factory due to contacts limit, supply limit etc., is almost impossible.

Well you have leads for that. If you can obtain a lead to site, you can do a mission without making contact with the region.

Covert actions could reduce the counter and give you time to reach the facility.

Sabotage covert missions do just that. They remove bars from the avatar project counter.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They are not, I took one of them down through overwatch fire. They do however have a low chance of getting hit in their gassious form.
They could be killed, but when they move, they turn into a cloud and first overwatch always misses, just like Lightning Reflexes. Given that they have shitload of hp, most of the time you have few overwatches to spare.
Well you have leads for that. If you can obtain a lead to site, you can do a mission without making contact with the region.
sometimes you have no leads, or no resources to build comm center for contacts, or power. So you must wait until power plant would be built, then wait until comms would be built. By that time your only hope is a lead, which came from hacking or mission reward. Which is not guaranteed.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You can prevent the priests from going into 1 HP stasis by using a flashbang.

Also I must sadly report the game becomes, on my rig, unstable once you are in the plasma+/post-chosen lategame. About when Sectopods show up.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
They have that annoying skill that prevents them from dieing, leaving them in stasis with 1 hp and only way to kill them is to overwatch because they came out of stasis and can do lots of shit to your soldiers.
In practice, they leave stasis, do something useless and then die.
Flamethrower - Made to counter uber melee rangers
Except shotgun rangers are better than melee ones at all points.
Spectre - I hate damn things, they are immune to overwatch
Except they only stun them, and they die on the next turn, so you get your soldier back immediately.

Silva

Arcane
I don't trust professional critics much, but Kotaku, Polygon and Eurogamer are all praising this shit so it must be good.

Btw, will I miss much if I skip the intro tutorial for the DLC? I hate tutorials.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Start of this expansion is super irritating. You got 2 shitty options. Either play Lost and Abandoned that is super easy but way too long and boring, it gives you "free" xp and a scientist and intel. Or you can skip it and get nothing. You get a bit of sanity but screw yourself on legendary/ironman run that is already hard enough in the beginning.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just add the scientist and intel with console, problem solved.
Shitty design so cheat?

There is a third option in this game, in advanced options while starting a new game you can select to start the game with one of the 3 special soldiers and their HQ but you still lose XP, intel and scientist.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shitty design so cheat?

There is a third option in this game, in advanced options while starting a new game you can select to start the game with one of the 3 special soldiers and their HQ but you still lose XP, intel and scientist.
But on the other hand, you can start buildign the resistance ring ASAP, and start with a hero ally instead of only rookies.
I don't think it is worse playing without the mission overall.

Vibalist

Arcane
Are The Lost ever a challenge? I'm genuinely curious, because they seem way too easy to kill.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Shitty design so cheat?

But on the other hand, you can start buildign the resistance ring ASAP, and start with a hero ally instead of only rookies.
I don't think it is worse playing without the mission overall.
You don't need early Resistance Ring and the Lost and Found mission is pretty early. And by saying you it is not worse just proves you are not playing Legendary/Ironman.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Are The Lost ever a challenge? I'm genuinely curious, because they seem way too easy to kill.

Nope, they're easily the worst part of the expansion. Tedious, non-impactful and boring. They're easy to kill and if you don't kill them it's whatever 'cause they're harmless.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Except they only stun them, and they die on the next turn, so you get your soldier back immediately.
They have extra move after incapitating your soldiers and they usually sneak. Given their high hp it is not always possible to finish them in one turn.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You don't need early Resistance Ring and the Lost and Found mission is pretty early. And by saying you it is not worse just proves you are not playing Legendary/Ironman.
The lost and abandoned replaces a resistance mission, so you don't lose anything, do you? I'm pretty sure I did not get one during month 1 when playing with it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The lost and abandoned replaces a resistance mission, so you don't lose anything, do you? I'm pretty sure I did not get one during month 1 when playing with it.
Even if it does it replaces an otherwise hard mission that does not guarantee a scientist early and a big bunch of Intel. Not to mention L&F is so easy even on Legendary it is "free" xp for your squad.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Btw, a short example on how legendary kills you. I had a mission where I missed 4 attacks vs a single sectoid in a row. All attacks were flanks with 75% or more hit chance... then another pod comes in and sectoid panics one of my guys and mission ends soon after.
Or the usual - disoriented enemy one hit crits my guy in full cover...
So far I had 8 tries a on L/I and 8 fails. Best so far was surviving until month 2 until a full wipe mission where all 4 squads converged on my squad and wiped them fast. So funny how enemy knows your position even when you are concealed and always moves towards you...
And I forgot that low level snipers are worse then rookies.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I wonder how long I will suffer this bullshit before I go back to Long War 2.
Just like vanilla Xcom 2 L/I restarting early game 30 times until you make it to mid game where it becomes easy and you can win by not making many mistakes and then you make it to end game where you win automatically.

In LW2 early game feels fair (you got the tools to make it to mid game as long as you play smart), mid game is challenging and end game still has some challenge.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So I've downloaded this and... well, it just confirms that Firaxis are absolute Decline bringers that ruin every IP they touch.
Exactly what I wanted in my squad tactics game, endless story cutscenes and retarded NPCs that steal the show.
Fuck them for only adding the performance improvements to the DLC and fuck them for completely misunderstanding everything about UFO. This is cargo cult design.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I mean, you could have read any page at all of this thread to know we've always been telling you, again and again and again, that it's nothing like UFO. I really don't understand...

What did you expect? I don't jump into a volcano when I am looking to take a cold shower...

Anyway, I beat it on C/I (without scumming). It's quite difficult, really, though it's clear you're meant to play Legendary because ~50% in you are over the mountain and the game just gets easier and easier once you get your hands on all that tech. The last mission, though, is always exciting. Even my most overpowered teams have a pretty rough time. This time, as I was in Ironman, I had a great time because I somehow managed to trigger four fucking pods:

3 Andromedons
3 Codexes
2 Faceless
2 Berserkers
2 Mk 2 MEKs
2 MK 1 MEKs
1 Gatekeeper

all at once in the second room of the final mission. I /somehow/ recovered, don't ask how. Well, actually: Reaper. I kept chaining Reaper kills with my Templar and Ranger. I lost still two of my most important teammates, all my medkits and all my grenades, but I pushed on and somehow recovered, if barely. At the end the only choice I had was to ignore everyone while taking hits left and right so I could kill the avatars before I drowned in spawns.

Here's to Terror from the Deep - Cthulhu Edition!

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Whoever said you'll like it if you enjoyed Nu-Com and hate it otherwise was correct.
The weird thing is I did like XCOM1 a lot but this iteration is just pure shit. Much like the switch from Civ5 to Civ6. Even if you accept in year heart that Firaxis will never ever make a "real" successor to UFO or Civ, this is still bad. It goes against the genre and the spirit of the original games. UFO had no story to speak of. It had no soldier customization to speak of. It didn't need them in the former's case and people made their own little stories in the latter case.

e: Really I'm just venting, I don't mean to detract from anyone else's enjoyment of the game. I wonder how fucking hard it is to remake UFO as-is though. I mean goddamn.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's true that by disabling Lost and Abandoned and having a faction hero in gatecrasher, you can start your build order with the resistance ring, but is that really a good idea? I would still start with GTS in the empty space, since that squad size upgrade at sergeant is more critical than covert ops. If you go ring first, you have to delay GTS until you get an engineer and add excavation time.
Yes? I built a ring first and still had gts around same time I got a sgt. Ring is also better than gts for training rookies (as long as you are ok with random class).

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's true that by disabling Lost and Abandoned and having a faction hero in gatecrasher, you can start your build order with the resistance ring, but is that really a good idea? I would still start with GTS in the empty space, since that squad size upgrade at sergeant is more critical than covert ops. If you go ring first, you have to delay GTS until you get an engineer and add excavation time.
Yes? I built a ring first and still had gts around same time I got a sgt. Ring is also better than gts for training rookies (as long as you are ok with random class).
Are you playing on Legendary? Because build time of everything is doubled and leveling up shit also takes longer. But still if you don't go GTS first and do missions well you might not have it in time to get a 5th squad member.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I mean, you could have read any page at all of this thread to know we've always been telling you, again and again and again, that it's nothing like UFO. I really don't understand...

What did you expect? I don't jump into a volcano when I am looking to take a cold shower...
Maybe he expected an improvement of Xcom 2 vanilla and got a shitter game with Pay to get bug fixes expansion. Fuck Firaxis.
They fucked it up just like Xcom 1 expansion.
Only good thing is that now modders got more to work with. Just like Bethesda games, modding is only thing that saves these shitty games because these AAA devs don't know shit about good game design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom