Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Information X-COM: UFO Defense Retrospective Video

Discussion in 'Tacticular News & Content' started by Whisky, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Make America Great Again Whiskygender: ⚧ The Solution

Whisky
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Tacticular Cancer; Xcom; XCOM: Ufo Defense

Resident uber-contributer sser has created a retrospective video of a sort, focused on the development of the original X-COM and the process it took to get it to markets.

Other videos focusing on future games in the series are expected in the near future.

Read the full article: X-COM: UFO Defense Development Video

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  2. ssergender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

sser
    Parrots:
    Here's the article:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  3. Habagender: ⚧ Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Not bad. There are actually retrospective interviews that go more into detail about the beginning of the project and the cancellation phase, but unfortunately in print format.

The key thing in this case (as is with many games), is that the great game we get in the end is more of a result of several lucky coincidences. It is the evil publisher's "senseless" demands that actually made the game what it is, as Gollops vision for the game was rather narrow.

Also, the limited development time proved to be more of a blessing for the game. With all the respect for Gollops, some of their own ideas are simply stupid. Expanded interception, for example, would've not added anything of value to the game. X-Com: Apocalypse is a good example of what happens when you have a bigger budget but don't have all those luck coincidences.

Gollops post-UFO games prove that no matter how talented programmer or designer you are, a great game requires a combined effort of multiple people that can't really be repeated consistently.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ssergender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

sser
    Parrots:
    IMO, an expanded interception element is the only thing missing from the X-Com formula. Gollop's first idea was to have a Star Wars-esque hallway shootout, IIRC. That fundamental idea essentially made it into the game with the singular, up-down movement of the UFO on the interception screen, you're just not in control. Julian - ostensibly - seemed to understand that an air war element was needed. I wouldn't criticize his ideas as "stupid" when the concept itself was handled by him the whole way down the pipeline; we're just looking at the author's scratchpad. Xenonauts is the only "X-Com-esque" game that has taken any real steps to developing a compelling air war. I'm still kinda amazed that the new XCOM not only didn't really even try, but amidst all the 3D and snazzy production values was actually worse than the original. I have a lot of ideas about the 'air war' aspect of X-Com and its spinoffs but suffice it to say I think everyone has done it wrong thus far.

I hope I didn't portray Microprose as evil or with senseless ideas. The Gollops seemed extremely open minded to any suggestions. Of course, they kinda had to be. I didn't include it in the video, but they had a number of other publishers lined up. They wanted Microprose and if I was to hazard a guess it was because they knew Microprose turn a game like Laser Squad into something bigger. But yeah, games that still get played decades later are definitely once in a lifetime kind of things. After X-Com... dunno. IMO, Laser Squad Nemesis and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars are both really good games... even if nobody played them :lol:

^ Top  
  5. Habagender: ⚧ Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Microprose wasn't being evil with their demands, but I wouldn't call it conscious strategic decision-making either. Based on the interviews I've read, it was more of a spur of the moment kind of a thing. But usually great things all come from such.

Unfortunately the modern AAA development has very much eliminated such risks from the picture. While "design by committee" produces fewer spectacular failures, it also kills the rare miracles of luck.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Tzaerogender: ⚧ DEPARTED Patron

Tzaero
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  7. ssergender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

sser
    Parrots:
    Now that is cool. Did you make this?

^ Top  
  8. Tzaerogender: ⚧ DEPARTED Patron

Tzaero
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yup.

^ Top  
  9. MicoSelvagender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Nice video, bros. The number of views is somewhat depressing, though. Maybe you should do some marketing, post it on reddit or something.

^ Top  
  10. ssergender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

sser
    Parrots:
    Eh, not really worried about views. If it gets out there it gets out there. Right now I just want to get better at making videos.

^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Excellent, needs more kool kyrby krackles for perfection.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. TheGreatOnegender: ⚧ Arcane

TheGreatOne
    Parrots:
    So are you going to start making video content like that on a regular basis? Also: you shouldn't leave fuck ups like 4:30 there, takes 5 seconds to edit. Other than that it's a nice review, people very rarely credit game developers apart from main designers, musicians etc.
    You're forgetting something... :troll:

^ Top  
  13. Awor Szurkrarzgender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Interesting.

I'd like to remind people that adding a strategic layer to a tactical game is a good way to create game addiction, which is a pretty bad thing.

Thanks God the interception minigame didn't make it in.

^ Top  
  14. ssergender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

sser
    Parrots:
    Interception is the one thing I think the X-Com/XCOM formula needs to expand on. So much is made of the air war only for its actual mechanics to be grossly simplistic. Obviously the idea back then was kinda lame, but its current implementation is still not very good, IMO.

^ Top  
  15. 7h30ngender: ⚧ Scholar

7h30n
    Parrots:
    Some critique on the video of sser

Don't leave errors in the video.
    It seems like you did a lot of improvising and creating sentences out of notes, I think you should have the whole script planned including the pauses and points for improvisation. This should create a smoother flow and prevent all the awkward pauses and repeats/searches of articles before nouns etc.
    Regarding the footage capture, I presume you couldn't record Open X-Com at fullscreen so you opted for windowed, in that case you should hide the Windows tray panel and maybe also remove the borders of a window.

^ Top  
  16. Gozmagender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Gozma
    Parrots:
    Are there any super-groggy fighter plane engagement board wargames a video game could dumb down? Have two different robust tactical layers would be interesting.

^ Top  
  17. Make America Great Again DarkUnderlordgender: ⚧ Bringing that old Raptor magic. Dumbfuck

DarkUnderlord
    Parrots:
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    It needs a raffle IMHO.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)