Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WW1 Fleet Simulators?

Phelot

Arcane
Does anyone know of any good WW1 naval simulators? Something that would deal with the Battle of Jutland would be awesome. Turn based or real time is fine (though I assume it'd be turn based) I don't even care if they don't have "campaigns" but rather premade battles.

Also, any individual ship simulators from the same war? Something like Silent Hunter but for a battlecruiser?

THANKS!

Destroid

Arcane
Distant Guns is the only one I know of. I played the demo long ago, I can't recall much about it. They have a Battle of Jutland and a Sino-Russo game, probably some others.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
the simulation is too strong in that one from what I remember. Apparently ships had like 5% change to inflict a hit back in those times. So it's a whole lot of watching shells miss.

Phelot

Arcane
Sergiu64 said:
the simulation is too strong in that one from what I remember. Apparently ships had like 5% change to inflict a hit back in those times. So it's a whole lot of watching shells miss.

Yeah... ideally there should be a lot of different fictional scenarios to choose from. Jutland, when the visibility was decent, had some very precise hits, not to mention some of the tactical decisions that could be made. WW1 seems like a tough setting due to the static conditions on land and the chaos and randomness at sea.

I checked out that game's site, but it seems to be nearly down. Most of the links don't work and I can't seem to figure out just what kind of game it is. I mean, it doesn't seem to describe the mechanics other than it's a simulator and it has awesome graphics (in their opinion)

Destroid

Arcane
Point and click interface, real time with pause. Graphics are... ok, but WW1 ships weren't a lot to look at, especially from the air.

Renegen

Arcane
Now that I think about it, there was this WW1 Sub sim. Released by Strategy First, I think it was actually half descent. Also, I think there was a game named Jutland.

overtenemy

Augur
http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/asp/games/5776/index.asp

Never played it myself. Is surely not "Silent Hunter but with a battlecruiser." Probably more overall tactics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1914_Shells_of_Fury

WW1 subsim. I was going to try it but to be honest it doesn't look very good. It also needs to be said that the majority of ships sunk back then were sunk by the deck cannon rather than torpedoes because torpedoes were shit. Once the Brits started convoying, the gig was up. Seems pretty boring just sailing around and gunning down lone merchants. Gets quite old in Silent Hunter. Still, this is probably the closest thing to what you asked that I know of. However...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=156161

Will it ever be released? Probably not. And if it was there's no reason to believe it'd be any better than Shells of Fury. Still something to look out for. Reckon I'll give it an install if it gets released.

Destroid

Arcane
Anyone played PT boats?

PT_Boats_shot1637.JPG

It always surprises me that the Silent Hunter games never did one about with Japanese subs as their doctrine focused more on attacking warships than merchant shipping.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
You can also try Enigma Rising Tide - alternative world post WW1. It had a lot of potenital, but it just pissed me off that it was an action game, not a simulation.

panzertoter

Arcane
Omg, it looks just like Action Stacions with modern interface! Is there any place 'where i could find this and give it a try'?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
panzertoter said:
Omg, it looks just like Action Stacions with modern interface! Is there any place 'where i could find this and give it a try'?
There's no demo and no pirated version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom