Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Information Writing by October, Scripting by April: Brian Fargo Comments on Deadlines

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Crooked Bee, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

Speaking to the Codex today, Brian Fargo has elaborated on some of the deadlines he currently has in mind for the development of Wasteland 2. As things stand, InXile plans on having most of the writing and design done by October this year and most of the scripting and levels finished by April 2013, "thus leaving another 6 months for iteration and play test":

"The best production process is pretty fluid", Brian Fargo told us via email, "so I hate to commit to exactly how things roll out but I can tell you that 90% of the writing/design will happen by October. Scripting will start in about a month from now on the levels that are done. I plan to have all levels in and scripted by April thus leaving another 6 months for iteration and play test. The only reason we have the ability to have an accelerated production schedule is that the tools and user generated assets offer us a huge head start over the old ways of doing things. I would also add that in game cinematics can take up to 50% of our time to implement and not having to do that is also a huge savings. In addition, I am not having to make milestones to prove we are making progress which shaves another 25%. But I have been offered a fantastic and unique opportunity to make something special with Wasteland so I will not let the game go [if] it isn't ready and I will have lots of beta testers to make sure that doesn't happen."

"There will always be tons of speculation," Fargo added, "but we just need to do the work and prove ourselves." Addressing the occasional concerns about the 18-month development cycle, he acknowledged that "there will always be doubters which I understand - the proof is in the pudding so to speak."​

He also commented on the issues some people had with the look of the early screenshot. "[W]e have much more to do," Fargo explained, "so they should not get too wound up about early screens. I put it out at the request of the backers so we could listen to the input. Adjusting palettes takes about 1 minute and things do look more toy like without the effects. It will all be good. This new way of development is a learning process for us all."

We thank Brian Fargo for his comments.

• Brofist Brofist x 20
    ^ Top  
  2. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    He didn't mention game show stuff, which I thought would attribute more to the development time. Unless, of course, those would be part of the milestones he mention. He did put some weight on those Unity assets though - interesting.

Thanks for contacting him Bee, you da bomb. And thanks Fargo.

^ Top  
  3. Untermensch Savant

Untermensch
    Parrots:
    I must say that I doubt that they can make a complex rpg in such a short time, but, compared to Fargo, what the fuck do I know about game development.
    I do have confidence in Inxile.

^ Top  
  4. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
  5. Ethan Duvall Learned

Ethan Duvall
    Parrots:
    Someone summon Vault Dweller to comment that!

^ Top  
  6. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    What's there to comment on?

^ Top  
  7. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
    Could Crooked Bee please post the original email sent to Fargo?

^ Top  
  8. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    What do you think of this timeline? Does it address some of your concerns? Is it still too ambitious? Does the "Milestones" shaving off 25% seem like a lot? Do you think these "tools and user generated assets" offer them the huge benefit he seems to think? These are some of the things I would really like to hear your thoughts on. You have some experience, I don't.

^ Top  
  9. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    I can't say anything about the timeline because I have no idea what's planned for the game (in terms of writing and scripting). My concern isn't with anything specific and isn't with Fargo/Wasteland 2, but with a simple fact that I've never seen a full-scale RPG taking less than 3 years. Maybe he can pull it off and maybe he can't, but asking questions about it right now is pointless as he can only assure people that he's on schedule and mention a distant possibility of a delay, just in case. Hope nobody expected him to say "you know what, you're right, come to think about it, we do need 3 years".

For the record, I don't buy "all RPGs take 1.5 years but them milestones, tools, and assets turn it in 3 years". Remind me of:

- But movies cost millions of dollars to make.
    - That's after gross net deduction profit percentage deferment ten percent of the nut. Cash, every movie cost $2,184.

^ Top  
  10. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Another comment from Brian, which I've edited into the OP:

^ Top  
  11. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Er, no, why should I? In any case, if you're so curious, I did link that heated 17-page screenshot discussion thread to him.

^ Top  
  12. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    Sounds reasonable. Swen Vincke confirms:
    That sounds like far more than 50% of the effort goes into cinematics and that's in a game that's nowhere near as cinematic as BioWare or CDP games, so I guess they can save a fair chunk of time by scrapping the cinematics.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  13. Davaris Arcane

Davaris
    Parrots:
    That's just make busy work, while they wait 3 years for the programmers to finish the engines and scripts. Shhh! Don't tell the boss. ;)

^ Top  
  14. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
    Am I bad person for enjoying the occasional and well placed cutscene?:(

^ Top  
  15. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    no :)

^ Top  
  16. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Parrots:
    Am i a bad gamer for enjoying a gameplay so much I am willing to forgo all the cutscene in exchane for 50% shorter development time?

^ Top  
  17. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    They can save a chunk of money (which is why Fargo *can* make a great game with only 3 mil budget), but not time.

Here is what Vincke says - they had 40-100 people working on the game, but only 7 worked on gameplay. Throwing all 40-100 on gameplay would only make a mess and wouldn't speed things up. It's not like the same group of people first does the engine, then the tools, then the scripting, then design, then writing, etc. It's done simultaneously (few exceptions apply). That's why dropping or outsourcing any of those things will only affect the budget.

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :deadhorse: Please do not bait the Dweller.

^ Top  
  19. Davaris Arcane

Davaris
    Parrots:
    Programmers like that are rare, but I've seen a few in the wild. If Pavlish is as good as the guys I've seen, Brian wouldn't need much more.

^ Top  
  20. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    Of course scrapping the cinematics saves first and foremost lots of money. However, InXile has more than 7 employees, and since all of them don't do the cinematics stuff I assume they're working on the gameplay/writing instead, so that part should go faster than it would go when >70% of your staff has to take care about the production values.

^ Top  
  21. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    ToEE used the Arcanum engine (Steam).

^ Top  
  22. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Parrots:
    Wait...cinematics is 50% of the time, and having to show milestones is 25%? If we take out voice overs, publisher meetings/meddling, trade shows, etc., what are we left with, games only really need about 10% of the time to be made?

^ Top  
  23. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Pretty much. You can put one together in a day or two. A week if you really want to impress people.

^ Top  
  24. Ethan Duvall Learned

Ethan Duvall
    Parrots:
    Whats wrong Vault Dweller? Fargo's team could make AoD in less than 6 months. :troll:

^ Top  
  25. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Wouldn't be surprised.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)