Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

WR - General Chit-Chatter/Tidbits

Discussion in 'What Remains' started by Surf Solar, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Created particle effects, rendered them, put in photoshop to animate, saved as .gif, done? :P

^ Top  
  2. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Here is some silly thing that shows the "Dumbass Trio". You will see them, or hints that they left all over the game if you are an explorer and read many single item or scenery descriptions. They here can be seen in a Dungeon that I still experiment with, as it is the only true "dungeon crawl" in the game - sure there will be other dungeon like experiences, but this one is an entirely optional BIG dungeon up to explore for you. It is staggered into 30 layers, it gets fucked up the more go down like in the true tradition, havens where you can save in get more sparse towards the core, enemies get more and more intelligent the further you traverse the rift. You won't miss any story relevant things while going down there, it is just at the moment the "playground" I use to test and make combat interesting. :)

[​IMG]

The rift was man made and goes down by many levels through a passage in Chicago. Many famous buildings got torn down there, you may recognize these buildings in the game later on and will find a nice surprise at the end that adds a lot of flavour to the lore. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    That sounds awesome!:greatjob:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    Parrots:
    Looks like some nasty texture stretching at the bottom there.

^ Top  
  5. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Yip, you are right. ;) I have to avoid taking textures out of lower pixel photographs... Thank god for photoshop to remedy this, though. ;)

^ Top  
  6. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Sorry if this is spam, but, I am extremely pumped because Luther Blisset, the bro that you never see here but always helps me with my art, has drawn some Portrait for my game.
    I have contacted Justin Cherry, he said he is busy with a new Project, so I am in complete awe that a friend of mine can do such a nice one!

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. 20 Eyes Liturgist

20 Eyes
    Parrots:
    Nice portrait, and all the environments you've posted lately look great. The house in the swamp looks about as good as a lot of stuff you'd see in the Infinity Engine games.

^ Top  
  8. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    We've edited it a bit - this character will most probably used in the upcoming demo where you play a few Detroit city maps (and a different story than the maingame) - extremely hyped up to finally release something already sooner than soon. :D

[​IMG]

Thanks again to Luther! :)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Parrots:
    Whoa, demo/alpha coming out soon? AWESOME. Keep up the good work, Solar!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Thanks GarfunkeL , by the speed we are doing new things at the moment I think it is done by end of August (summer is always a bit crictical with people working on some internet project ;) ). Please note, that this demo is more supposed to show the progress we have so far done, there won't be all new functions and combat possibilities like in the maingame in. It's more to get people aquainted to the new (relatively Fallout unfitting like you seen on the screenshots) art style and atmosphere/writing. As said, you will play (either male/female) the guy/gal in the portrait above (female portrait will follow ;P ) but wont have a party like in the "real" game. We want to put this out so maybe miore people interested in the world and game will try to contact us to work together on the actual game - so it gets faster done. :)

And because I was bored today, some non-related to What Remains art I was doing today for fun:

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  11. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Is there any aspect of RPG development you can't do, SS?

^ Top  
  12. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    What do you mean? :o I am actually quite limited - I can develop ideas to do thing XY do that in an RPG system, but the actual scripting and coding someone else has to do. I don't know shit about programming. :)
    When the tools are very good, like it is in the FOnline engine, even an artfag like me can do things straightforward, making new maps, creating new dialogues, choices, or dialogues. It is just the crucial changes to the engine itself (AI, new perks, editing SPECIAL systems, adding fog of war, party based combat) that rely on other people. ;)

So if this engine wouldn't be there, I wouldn't be able to do shit.

^ Top  
  13. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Ah, I see. How many people are contributing to development?

^ Top  
  14. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Actively at the monent only 2, but there are many contributors who give away small things to the game and upload stuff to the repo. That was the goal of the demo as said - to interest more people to speed up the process. :)
    At the moment I am just in crunchtime to put all the new art into the mapper and edit it so it all looks homogenous - dialogues, quests and outline are done for the Demo. Only thing that I still dont have done completely is the UI. :(

^ Top  
  15. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Parrots:
    If I knew shit about that, I'd help you... :( But I hope you get some talented and hardworking team mates, as this project seems very promising. :incline:

^ Top  
  16. Derper Liturgist

Derper
    Parrots:
    Looking forward to the demo. Will it be out on a ... friday?

^ Top  
  17. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    Parrots:
    Wow those screenshots. This is beginning to surpass any isometric RPG I've ever seen in beauty. This game looks damn good.

You've got a Day One purchase from me. Keep up the good work.

^ Top  
  18. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Purchase? This is a free game, I cant ( wouldnt want anyway, it is a hobby for me) ask for money. ;)
    Thank you though! Still working on the demo, slowly but steady. :)

^ Top  
  19. sea Prestigious Gentleman inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Parrots:
    Any idea what the target length for the demo will be? Or how much content in terms of quests etc.? What about compared to the full version?

^ Top  
  20. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    I took inspirations from the (imo very good and lengthy) AoD demo, so ours will feauture a city hub (Detroit) which is rather big (plus some wilderness/"dungeon" areas). There wont be as much branching as in AoD, because it is a story seperate from the game ( you can meet your demo character in the maingame as an NPC). There will be instead some adventure elements, 6-7 minor and two large encounters to show some new gameplay elements and items.Depending how much you explore, I would say that there is about 1 hour in the inital run.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. sea Prestigious Gentleman inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Parrots:
    Good length for a demo. Looking forward to playing it more than just about any other game at the moment, that's for sure.

^ Top  
  22. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    Parrots:
    I especially like the idea of playing as someone who you won't be playing in the full game. It's one of the reasons I've avoided the AoD demo, as I want to be able to experience the game completely virgin.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    I just had some indepth chat about the demo with the beta ( alpha?) ) testers. The most genuine comments were about "Dude no one will understand this" even though I tried to tone down any real life philosophical bits ( and this is coming from someone who hates "storyfag" stuff). There are genuine "wat" areas, that resemble my favorite parts of planescape translated into the the "modern" setting of Fallout. bits, but the general consent was "there is too much text". Is it really that bad when there is much (optional) text? Some of it is voiced (seldom). There is no political projection at alll, I really cared that this wont be the case. So is this just some usual "LGBT" case?I dont give a slightest fuck about how women are portrayed in the game. For fuck sake, there are factions controlled by many females, (there are reasons you will see), there will be female just "normal" women. For fucks sake, have you seen me posting stuff that "portrays women in a false projection"`?

I just want to make a fucking game. Leave me alone with this shit. I dont portray women as sex symbols, neither do I show males as the same. Get the fuck out. All I want to do is some dungeon romper with cool visuals and some overworked fallout design. Seriously.

As said, I received hate mails from people at a game that hasnt even an official demo. If you pirated the demo somewhere, good for you, but what the fuck has this to do with "gender issues"?

^ Top  
  24. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    Parrots:
    Don't give a fuck about those morons. Your testers sound like Fallout 3 fans whose heads start to hurt from too much writing while the other testers sound like the usual LGBT/Feminist weirdos who demand completely equal representation and portrayal of gays and women, even if it makes zero sense in the setting or reality.

If these people are finding Planescape: Torment level deepness overwhelming you really need some better testers. I've yet to meet any game that has been too intellectually deep for its own good. I even remember quite a few 'Dexers complaining that Planescape: Torment wasn't too different to stuff you'd hear on a Philosophy 101 course.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)