Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Would you like an RPG that switches between 1st person / isometric?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'll accept it if my party members are bantering and arguing behind me. Also passively keep buffs up so I don't have to spend a round buffing in combat Loll.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I had to put this new project on hold due to the launch of my current game in Steam being more succesful and time-consuming than I expected. Exiled Kingdoms' success will determine how much time and money I can invest in my next game, so it is something I can't neglect. I hope I can be focusing 100% on the project from June and onwards.

Putting things in perspective this delay has been positive. It allowed me to think and make important decisions about design. Will update this again when I'm back to the project during the summer.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I had to put this new project on hold due to the launch of my current game in Steam being more succesful and time-consuming than I expected. Exiled Kingdoms' success will determine how much time and money I can invest in my next game, so it is something I can't neglect. I hope I can be focusing 100% on the project from June and onwards.

Putting things in perspective this delay has been positive. It allowed me to think and make important decisions about design. Will update this again when I'm back to the project during the summer.
EK Multiplayer when? Also will PC and mobile versions be able to play together?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

EK Multiplayer when? Also will PC and mobile versions be able to play together?

All explained here:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/exiledkingdoms/announcements/detail/1664515438542277920

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Just a brief update on this project.

It is going to happen. Incline cometh. Sell all your Microsoft stock because this is gonna end the genre.

Now seriously: I've been working on it full-time for 2 months already and the progress is quite satisfying. The perspective changes seem to work well; it might certainly limit the area design freedom somewhat, but the tradeoff sounds good to me, and it makes the game quite unique right now. I've been working mostly on the basis of combat controls and turn flow, camera movement, etc and it is working great. In a few months I can probably open a thread about the project with full info.

Skdursh

Savant
Yeah one of the things I like about Risen is that you can enable a isometric mode and a first-person mode with console commands. Playing through the game multiple times with different vantage points keeps it feeling somewhat fresh.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Came to mention Albion only to see you already mentioning it as a source of inspiration. Excited to see what comes of this!

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Just a brief update on this project.

It is going to happen. Incline cometh. Sell all your Microsoft stock because this is gonna end the genre.

Now seriously: I've been working on it full-time for 2 months already and the progress is quite satisfying. The perspective changes seem to work well; it might certainly limit the area design freedom somewhat, but the tradeoff sounds good to me, and it makes the game quite unique right now. I've been working mostly on the basis of combat controls and turn flow, camera movement, etc and it is working great. In a few months I can probably open a thread about the project with full info.

Great. What are your core goals anyway?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Great. What are your core goals anyway?

A handcrafted open world with endless things to explore, try and have fun with. When I say open world my model isn't the modern RPGs like Divinity or WL2 which I consider good games but quasi-linear, I mean something like Morrowind. Besides all the little things in the world, there'll be a compelling main plot in which your choices make a difference and will alter the world. Despite the rich lore and detailed setting, the game will be free from sanctimonious walls of text because life is too short to take yourself too seriously. There will be humor, adventure and unexpected surprises, mysteries and dangers, interesting people to meet and, often, also kill.

It's too early to say much about the rule system, but it is my favorite part of making an RPG. My aim is making it complex enough to allow you to keep trying new things all the time, even in a 100h game. It won't be, however, overly obsessed with balance. Worthy ones will be able to break it a little here and there, just like in the good old days.

On content size: it's hard to make comparisons but it'll be bigger than Exiled Kingdoms. Which means massive size of the world, hundreds of dialogues, etc. It took me around 3 years to create all of EK's content, but this time I'll have better tools and artists to help so I think it can take less than that. Impossible to have good estimates of this part, however.

Even if it's a lot of work, I am not empty-handed either; the project was delayed for 7 months but I gave the game a lot of thought during that time. I have pretty clear ideas on the aesthetics and visuals of the world and its inhabitants. I already have dozens of notebook pages full with quests and encounter ideas, a basic script for the main quest, maps and character sketches, and I've been working on spreasheets for the rulesystem for the last year. But I still have at least 5-6 months of pure development before considering real content added to the game. I keep writing down ideas every day tho, it's a nice thing to do to take a break from coding.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow, this sounds wonderful. I'll try to keep my expectations in check but I really did like your last game so I wish you the best of lu-

I mean something like Morrowind. Besides all the little things in the world, there'll be a compelling main plot in which your choices make a difference and will alter the world. Despite the rich lore and detailed setting, the game will be free from sanctimonious walls of text because life is too short to take yourself too seriously. There will be humor, adventure and unexpected surprises, mysteries and dangers, interesting people to meet and, often, also kill.
Sorry but this boner isn't going down I think I need to go to the hospital.

Jokes aside how we looking on dungeons?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Jokes aside how we looking on dungeons?

Well, dungeons are the essence of it all, ain't them. Everything will revolve around dungeon exploration in the end. In EK I tried to create some unique dungeons, especially by the end when I was more experienced. The Mausoleum, the Icemist Sewers, the Ark, Mount Orogg... and I've always been a great admirer of dungeon design as a player, it's something that, if works, will make a game work no matter if the rest is shit. And if dungeons are a dull chore, the game will be shit no matter how great is the rest. Certainly I'll give it all creating dungeons, and I already have some concepts I can't wait to implement.

Really can't give more details at this early stage. So many cool ideas I'd love to share and discuss, but it'd be a mistake to begin spoiling stuff like that. Back to work now ;)

Mustawd

ss_097ca06ed204b8169da10e107326164d476d9a65.1920x1080.jpg

riva-19.png

blade-23.png

blade-pc-1.png

blade-pc-2.png

My wallet, and my penis, are ready.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom