Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you be interest in a new Top RPGs poll? (READ THE OP)

Would you want a "repoll" of the Codex' Top 95 RPGs?

• Total voters

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's pointless.

Everybody already knows that Planet Escape: Tournament and Water Chip Simulator 1997 are the bestest games evar and that's all anybody cares about. Even autists will fall asleep trying to read some Top 95 list :shitandpiss:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's pointless.

Everybody already knows that Planet Escape: Tournament and Water Chip Simulator 1997 are the bestest games evar and that's all anybody cares about. Even autists will fall asleep trying to read some Top 95 list :shitandpiss:
But which game do you like, Somppu?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If the vast majority of the voters voted 'x' same title as number 1 RPG, who are you to say it doesn't deserve that rank?

And before you give me the usual, NO.
If 'y' game only got the interest of 41 players, who gives a fuck what they thought. It couldn't even attract the remaining 3836253759 ones, ergo no way it could ever be number 1.
I know you're slow because I already explained this multiple times, but I make "QUALITY", not "POPULARITY" polls.

You know which game got a fuckton of votes? Fallout 4. 328 people voted for it, giving it 641 points. That's low because 70% gave it a bad score.
Meanwhile, Fallout 1.5: Resurrection only got 120 votes, but made 498 points. That's high because 83% gave it a good score.

By your retarded logic, Fallout 4 is the big winner here - after all, more people played it and it got more points! Also, Skyrim best RPG ever, just look at those sales numbers! So many people played it! :roll:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If the vast majority of the voters voted 'x' same title as number 1 RPG, who are you to say it doesn't deserve that rank?

If 'y' game only got the interest of 41 players, who gives a fuck what they thought. It couldn't even attract the remaining 3836253759 ones, ergo no way it could ever be number 1.
I know you're slow because I already explained this multiple times, but I make "QUALITY", not "POPULARITY" polls.

You know which game got a fuckton of votes? Fallout 4. 328 people voted for it, giving it 641 points. That's low because 70% gave it a bad score.
Meanwhile, Fallout 1.5: Resurrection only got 120 votes, but made 498 points. That's high because 83% gave it a good score.

By your retarded logic, Fallout 4 is the big winner here - after all, more people played it and it got more points! Also, Skyrim best RPG ever, just look at those sales numbers! So many people played it! :roll:
The markets are never wrong! :mrpresident:

laclongquan

Arcane
It's seven years since Top70 so I am having a curiousity about how the top2012-2016 going to fare in competition with top70.

I'd say redoit. Either by Top70 methodology, or 2012-2016 method. But redo it!

Black

Arcane
All popularity contests are cancer. This is a site where dragon age won rpgoty, never forget that.

Zenith

Arbiter
Maybe we should have a "general gaming" version of the poll? Or non-RPGs? Something different.
Personally, I'd like to see what "sacred cows" the codex hivemind consensus has. And I don't mean FO/PST, those regularly have someone shit-talking them when occasion arises, same with everything else from top10.
I mean something like Thief TDP or JA2 - the sort that could count as :obviously:-harvesting by simply mentioning them. Don't think a poll would work for that though.

Beastro

Arcane
How about an annual one and we get to see how RPGs rise and fall and the places most find themselves sitting in.

Severian Silk

I'm always a couple of years behind everybody, so I am unable to do much with these polls. It takes 3-4 years for prices to go down enough for me to want to purchase a game.

Aenra

I make "QUALITY", not "POPULARITY" polls

I know you fucking beaner and that's exactly the problem, can't you fucking speako Inglecio?

No one asked you to MAKE anything; no one asked you to RE-make a straightforward vote count into a quality statement. No one empowered you to alter the results.
All we asked of you (assuming you didn't volunteer for the good of humanity) was to count them votes. The rest was you distorting the image.
Beaners can count, can't they?

If that's still too hard for your shitskin brain to grasp, go back now and read my first reply to you once more.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Are we going to pretend there was a point in all this? Again ffs?
Because, can i say again.. again? I'd only have to ask you the same fucking question.. again:

Now how is that not the simplest, and as such the most fair?

Also, who said you get to decide whether YOU rank by average, by game length, developer's gender or what the weather was like the day you were counting the votes? Gimme a break dude.

(i'd tell you what i think, but then you'd probably get offended tbh)

edit: i see Ziem beat me to it ^^

By this logic, Fallout 4 is an RPG great.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I make "QUALITY", not "POPULARITY" polls

I know you fucking beaner and that's exactly the problem, can't you fucking speako Inglecio?

No one asked you to MAKE anything; no one asked you to RE-make a straightforward vote count into a quality statement. No one empowered you to alter the results.
All we asked of you (assuming you didn't volunteer for the good of humanity) was to count them votes. The rest was you distorting the image.
Beaners can count, can't they?

If that's still too hard for your shitskin brain to grasp, go back now and read my first reply to you once more.

:trigglypuff:

Aenra

:trigglypuff:

Almost, i'm a bit fatter IRL. I think i managed to fit through a door once. Will never forget. Momma was so proud of me.

Iznaliu for some people, Codexers included sadly, it is.. hence my saying everything i've been saying.
Now if you don't appreciate said fact (i don't either obviously), that's one thing. But as long as we're talking voting here, let it be voting. Not a dork's attempts to color the outcome to his choosing. I think it's real simple guys, could repeat myself a million times over, ain't much more i can add.
You're all welcome to disagree, just don't fucking tell me burito's going FUBAR on the vote count is 'O.K.' or "accurate", lol

A poll is a popularity contest, its whole point is to show what the majority of people think. What are you suggesting is that the poll needs to be hijacked to give the right results. Which really defeats the purpose of doing a poll in the first place. If you think that the majority of people don't understand quality, you can just make your own top rpg list without the input of anyone else. Or, select a few codexers that you find trustful, let them vote and make the elite's top RPG list.

But letting everyone to vote and then trying to make the results as "acceptable" as possible, by the use of the right voting system, is really pointless, if not hypocritical.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
what's the purpose of having people do ratings of games from 1-5? Just ask them a simple question: What is your favorite RPG of all times? let them pick one game from the list. Voila, popularity issue resolved. Even of hundreds of people played FO4 they won't vote it the best RPG ever... or won't they?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
This might surprise you, but there's a reason why I do all these "special algorithms".

Take the 2012-2016 list for example: Rank by points and Pillars of Eternity was the 2nd best RPG, because it was the most played one. Rank by average and Rance VI is the #2, because it got a small but fierce fanbase.

Any fucking system will have distortions - by going for the easiest one all you're doing is being lazy.

What distortion is there to the "average" system? As long as I don't say "the one with the highest average is the best", everything is alright. Me, I would personally like to see the Codex opinion in each one of those games, as opposed to having to rely on a few people considering Wizardry IV for example deserves to be on the Top 70. Maybe with people who actually voice their opinion on the game, we will find out Wizardry IV is a 2/5 actually because they have found it to be a pretentious piece of shit. Or maybe we will find out it is a 5/5, who knows.

Plus I don't think there's anything on these two lists that comes out anywhere as niche as Rance. Anyone who hasn't played that game probably thinks it is shit or just a meme, but not a serious game.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
what's the purpose of having people do ratings of games from 1-5? Just ask them a simple question: What is your favorite RPG of all times? let them pick one game from the list. Voila, popularity issue resolved. Even of hundreds of people played FO4 they won't vote it the best RPG ever... or won't they?

Having to rely on the goodwill of members has given us replies such as "I won't vote Fallout, since it's too popular, so let me bring obscure RPG few people have played at all just to be original". Not saying the game isn't good, but it's like me saying "World of Warcraft is too popular, so let me bring out Argentum Online, a game nobody knows and that is a piece of shit, but hey, at least there's more diversity!".

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It's pointless.

To me, Fallout: New Vegas is much better than Fallout. A poll like this would let me voice what I truly think of these two games: Fallout is a 4/5, great game for its time, nowadays it's a good RPG, but it's so short that it makes little sense to constantly create new builds. New Vegas is the exact opposite: it's a much longer game, and I'd rather sacrifice turn-based combat (literally the only advantage alongside Int runs, over Fallout: New Vegas) for more content that gives many more opportunities to try different builds.

There, I said it: Fallout is a great RPG, but Fallout: New Vegas is just a much more enjoyable game with more RPG opportunities. The top three is a lie. Fallout 2, though, is probably much better than Fallout thanks to its sheer amount of content (from what I've heard).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It's seven years since Top70 so I am having a curiousity about how the top2012-2016 going to fare in competition with top70.

I'd say redoit. Either by Top70 methodology, or 2012-2016 method. But redo it!

This is the driving force behind this idea of mine. People are too scared to see The Witcher 3 break into the top 10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom