Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worthwhile WW2 games

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trick question; WW2 is over-done and inherently boring at this point in time.

DemonKing

Arcane
Trick question; WW2 is over-done and inherently boring at this point in time.

Maybe in the strtegy sphere but I have to admit I would like to see a decent WW2 shooter come out as everything seems to be Modern Combat these days. A Frostbite engine WW2 game could be interesting for instance.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Only decent WW2 shooter was RO for UT and then RO: Ostfront. Original Medal of Honor was not terrible either. Oh and original Battlefield. Funny how games almost always get worse over time. I would not mind a game like RO with the scope of BF. Wouldn't need another WW2 shooter ever.

vitamin

Augur
Only decent WW2 shooter was RO for UT and then RO: Ostfront. Original Medal of Honor was not terrible either. Oh and original Battlefield. Funny how games almost always get worse over time. I would not mind a game like RO with the scope of BF. Wouldn't need another WW2 shooter ever.
Seems like Forgotten Hope 2 fits the bill - or it doesn't? RO was good but only in MP, for SP I prefer OFP with some WW2 mods.

Anyway, back on topic... I'd like to ask if anyone has/had some experience with these games:

Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear!
Theatre of War
Panzer Command: Ostfront

Are they any good?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Seems like Forgotten Hope 2 fits the bill - or it doesn't? RO was good but only in MP, for SP I prefer OFP with some WW2 mods.

Anyway, back on topic... I'd like to ask if anyone has/had some experience with these games:

Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear!
Theatre of War
Panzer Command: Ostfront

Are they any good?

I briefly tried Achtung and Theatre of War and my impression was that they weren't as well done as some of the older Combat Mission games. Obviously they play a little differently, but same sort of feel to me. I own the Conflict of Heroes boardgame and it's pretty brilliant, but haven't played the PC version.

vitamin

Augur
Thank you for the info. Looks like I need to dust off my old CC5, and wait a bit more for some new tactical games. Maybe Battlefront will make CMBB remake in this new engine? BTW, how are these new CM games in comparison to the old ones?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I haven't tried the last couple CM games so I can't say for sure. I assume the graphics were just updated a bit and they added more bells and whistles. As someone who only played Close Combat 1+2(CC5=Close Combat 5?) when I was like 10, and never any others, what sorts of mods are you talking about? I guess it would also have to work in Win7 64bit.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
I haven't tried the last couple CM games so I can't say for sure. I assume the graphics were just updated a bit and they added more bells and whistles. As someone who only played Close Combat 1+2(CC5=Close Combat 5?) when I was like 10, and never any others, what sorts of mods are you talking about? I guess it would also have to work in Win7 64bit.

Yeah, Close Combat 5. The base game was OK (though my all-time fave will always be CC3, if only for the Eastern Front setting) but some of the complete overhaul mods will blow your mind. Very detailed historical scenarios, with some very niche/uncommon campaigns available (Khalkin-Gol on the Far Eastern front, the Spanish Civil War, the 1940 France campaign...) You can check them out here: http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Downloads&cid=25

They can be a bit fiddly to install, but instructions are usually available on the forums. I think the game will work fine on Win7.

KoolNoodles

Arcane

Yeah, Close Combat 5. The base game was OK (though my all-time fave will always be CC3, if only for the Eastern Front setting) but some of the complete overhaul mods will blow your mind. Very detailed historical scenarios, with some very niche/uncommon campaigns available (Khalkin-Gol on the Far Eastern front, the Spanish Civil War, the 1940 France campaign...) You can check them out here: http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Downloads&cid=25

They can be a bit fiddly to install, but instructions are usually available on the forums. I think the game will work fine on Win7.

Thanks a bunch, will check it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom