Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizards & Warriors running (near) perfectly on modern OSs

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok, planning to finally have a crack at this during the weekend. This used to be one of my favourite and most played games but that was 15 years ago (jesus fucking christ) and I don't know jack shit anymore.

Any tips for party creation? Mostly what classes, stats, skills and traits are useless so I can avoid them. Also I can see some mods and patches over at the Jeff Ludwig's page, any of them relevant/worth it?

(Btw after starting a new game I can switch between 3 different towns as if I've already discovered them, is that intended?)

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I dont think you have to worry to much about classes as the stat requirements are so low its easy to switch around. So you can make a pretty standard party but at some point turn them all into ninjas if you wanted to. The only class skill that you may want on everyone is Crusader from paladin, it gives you bonus xp from undead, probably something a degenerate min-maxer would want on all their characters.

V_K

Arcane
To me W&W wins at gameplay - faster combat, more interactivity (reaching almost U7 levels), some of the best dungeons in any RPG ever. Just more stuff to do in general. W8 on the other hand is too combat-heavy (and said combat is a slog), but it does have a less nonsensical gameworld and better story.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
To me W&W wins at gameplay - faster combat, more interactivity (reaching almost U7 levels), some of the best dungeons in any RPG ever. Just more stuff to do in general. W8 on the other hand is too combat-heavy (and said combat is a slog), but it does have a less nonsensical gameworld and better story.

Correct to a word.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure if "less nonsensical" is the correct word when applied to a game about space humanoid rhinoceros and space humanoid spiders fighting a space wizard using swords and robots for the rule of the whole universe.

I love the absurdity of the late Wizardries setting

V_K

Arcane
I'm not sure if "less nonsensical" is the correct word when applied to a game about space humanoid rhinoceros and space humanoid spiders fighting a space wizard using swords and robots for the rule of the whole universe.

I love the absurdity of the late Wizardries setting
Less nonsensical than a collection of pulp fantasy tropes loosely glued together.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
W&W plot and setting is so full of stock fantasy cliches it's almost comical and in the videogame fantasy world that's a big fucking achievement. As if Bradley was taking a mickey out of the entire genre.

PrettyDeadman

Bought it today.
Is there a way to play it windowed?
Also, what mods are must for gog version? The roqua's stack?
Is there HD widescreen mods?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
what is better W&W or W8 ?

W&W. Better dungeons, faster more interesting combat.

To me W&W wins at gameplay - faster combat, more interactivity (reaching almost U7 levels), some of the best dungeons in any RPG ever.

Correct to a word.

WTF? I have an organisation you guys might want to join :cool:

Seriously, this game was once part of the evidence that I had shit taste in games, and now it's better than the gold standard of modern blobbers?
It's only taken a decade, but...

Y'ALL IN MY WORLD NOW, BITCHES :mixedemotions:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
WTF? I have an organisation you guys might want to join

I would like to agree in theory but you recently admitted you've never played the Buck Rogers games. How can you be trusted?

And I recently mentioned this in another post - time separates the hipster shit from the actual good rpgs. Compare what people said about ToEE versus Dungeon Siege when they both first came out. Time proved me right on both accounts. I know for 100% certain in 10 or 20 years I will be proven right about the games I now call shit the poser hipsters love, and games I say are good crpgs the poser hipsters hate like WL2 DC, MMX, TToN, etc. If people listened to me instead of the hipsters posers Troika would still be together making games.

I stay quiet about games I don't personally enjoy but I can see aren't just hipster shit - like Space Rangers 2 and Dwarven Fortress.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter

Ok, planning to finally have a crack at this during the weekend. This used to be one of my favourite and most played games but that was 15 years ago (jesus fucking christ) and I don't know jack shit anymore.

Any tips for party creation? Mostly what classes, stats, skills and traits are useless so I can avoid them. Also I can see some mods and patches over at the Jeff Ludwig's page, any of them relevant/worth it?

(Btw after starting a new game I can switch between 3 different towns as if I've already discovered them, is that intended?)

You will need lockpicking, disarm traps - Barbarian
Healer - Monk
Mantrap killer - mage (meteor spell)
Teleport - Warlock

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why thief skills on a barb?

Also what weps are good to level? There are swords, axes, maces. In some RPGs you find 50 good swords and 2 good axes, is W&W like that?

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Why thief skills on a barb?Also what weps are good to level? There are swords, axes, maces. In some RPGs you find 50 good swords and 2 good axes, is W&W like that?

Barbarians are better thieves: they get most of HP, are proficient with most weapons, get good traits(stunning blow,fury) and do thieving.
Swords are 90% of the drops.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Why thief skills on a barb?

Also what weps are good to level? There are swords, axes, maces. In some RPGs you find 50 good swords and 2 good axes, is W&W like that?

Starting as a thief doesn't give you good survability. Barbs are good fighters that that also open the necessary thief skills. They are super easy to upgrade to (quest is kill 20 enemies), and can be done through the fighter's guild in the first town where you don't have access to the thieves guild.

Unmodded - definitely swords. Modded has more weapon options, but is still sword-slanted.

Edit - Tito posted as I did. Sorry for the double info.

PrettyDeadman

should you max int on all characters to get more skill points?

Roqua

Prospernaut
should you max int on all characters to get more skill points?

This. Also what the fuck presence does and is it a dump stat?

I make my first character a human with okay presence and for natural leader and put some points in leadership.

I believe both the attribute and skill make them targeted more often. I think also makes ninjas/assassins targeted less often.

I pump int up fast for extra skill points personally, but I also save scumming level-upper and try and get 3 attribute points. You can train stats too. They aren't all that expensive when low, but get ridiculous when higher level.

I use the mod that shows the exact formula for intelligence gain on level-up. I know it is less unmodded, but I am not sure how much.

My plan is always first get my fighter I plan on changing into a barb into the fighters guild and get him a barb training thief skills. Then I get everyone into every guild in starting town. Then I advance everyone to their next class with just starting town choices. I grind around town to do this. Once done I do the crypt and I don't advance classes again for a little bit so I can afford to focus on pumping up Int for skill points since I planned out my first class change and have a huge buffer area between the first and second change.

I am very particular in how I play a game. I have an OCD like need of doing certain things in certain orders and clearing every single possible thing fully, so Tito's advice may be better to follow if you plan on playing less formulaic than I do.

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated
Mouse issue fixed in the latest patch.
Tested it out, and now working smoothly.
Kudos to GOG on this as it's been an issue for many years on modern operating systems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom