Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Wizards of the Coast say the Planescape setting is available for licensing

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
GhS9h1V.png

7XTC9zg.png

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Can be defined as any videogame wherein fundamental play mechanics are reduced to the point where input and output are linked immediately one another with little complexity in rules interactions to think of or consider. Achieving a win state is less a result of complex thinking, knowledge and experience in how to navigate and master a game system, and more in cumulative response tests which rarely go beyond basic pattern-matching. Can be summed up as "click button to see something awesome" or "move cursor over enemy and shoot to win", where additional gameplay considerations are highly secondary.

In this respect, many modern games, not just shooters, can be considered popamole. Several titles that fall under other videogame genres, especially made post-2005 or so, tend to predominantly feature very simple mechanics which are just one step above basic pattern-matching (head + cursor = shoot).

Not all games requiring fast reflexes and which have less complex mechanics interactions are popamole. A fast-paced beat-em-up like Bayonetta requires reflexes, for instance, but also a near-perfect understanding of enemy behaviors, attack types, and crowd-control techniques, which elevates it well beyond the realm of "button-masher".
I submitted this to Urban Dictionary, hopefully it helps more RPG designers in the future. :?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"Things that the Codex doesn't like" seems like a more direct description. You could even add "Everything is shit" - SZURKRARZ, Awor.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Thanks for your definition of Popamole!

Editors reviewed your entry and have decided to not publish it.
Fucking harbingers of the decline right there. I had to dumb it down for them:

liek dat were u do the sh000t sho0t lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Your definition would take away internet space that could be used for quality entries like these.

Pootis
Pootis is the dark slime that seeps down your throat as you watch Heavy swaying left to right, you want to blink but your eyes start to bleed in the painful montion of movement as you cannot look away, you start to clench your fists as you cannot move from your current position, the eyes of the Scout venture deep inside your soul as you begin to sweat uncontrollably, and as you begin to feel dizzy the video continues and continues. The only way to stop this...is to remove pootis.
Remove pootis now!
Inverse Metroid
A sexual position in which one partner latches furiously onto the other'sanus, and the later must drop several "bombs" in order to get the former "off."
1- "Did you hear what Paul did last night with Sue?"
2- "No, what?"
1- "The Inverse Metroid."
2- "What's that?"
1- "He latched furiously onto her anus."
2- "Oh, that explains the series of explosions I heard last night."
1- "...wait a minute. I thought 'bombs' was a euphemism for 'defecates?'"
2- "Hmm. And here I thought Paul was a euphemism for 'Bomberman.'"
(They embrace)

edit: wait a fucking minute.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Popamole

April 2010

BROS LETS PLAY A GAM,E

Aug 30, 2010

...does that mean Blobert didn't invent the term? I DONT KNOW WHAT IS REAL ANYMORE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom