Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry 8 sucks! (LOL)

Is op a fag?

• Total voters

Zeriel

Arcane
*whispering softly*

So is dragon age...

*massaging shoulders gently while yelling loudly*

SO IS DARK SOULS, AN ACTUAL ACTION GAME

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
TLUaJPU.jpg

A0AHtrg.jpg

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
wiz8 is great, the last classic blobber, I've played through it like 5 times

it's not really an rpg though except that it gets grandfathered in with the rest of the old school blobbers

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I played Wizardry 8 only once when it came out and never finished it. It was a pretty disappointing experience after the brilliance of Wizardry 6 & 7.

The character system and the magic system remained pretty much the same - which was excellent. The story, dungeons, NPC's were all sub-par, however.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I've been lurking here for years and years, and nobody ever mentioned Wizardry 8 had a lot of combat. Hur! :roll:

Snufkin

Augur
A very good tactics early on is exploiting the terrain for your own advantage. Make monsters start walking towards you and then run back to places like corners where only 2-3 can attack you. Basicly have some kind of wall or mountain behind your back. The less monsters will be attacking you the better.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Is this a deja vu ? I swear we had the exact same thread at least 2 or 3 times in the last few years.

To OP:
As others have said before me Wizardry 8 is a good game but if you are a storyfag/c&c-fag you obviously will not enjoy it. It is a good game at what it does but it isn't an all-in-one kind of rpg. It is a blobber, and a combat-centric one with some exploration added on top of it (there are puzzles too of curse but they are few). If you like that kind of games you will probably enjoy it. If not then stay away from it. Think of it a bit as of Planescape Torment looking itself in the mirror - you can see combat instead of walls of text. If you enjoy reading walls of text and exploring an original (for a crpg) setting you will probably like Planescape despite its horrible combat. If not, you probably wont. This is a very similar case.

What makes you (again - probably) just a troll is claiming to lurk on the codex for a long time and then complaining that wizardry is too combat-centric and has many random fights. As if it was never mentioned in all those time.

pippin

if you are a storyfag/c&c-fag you obviously will not enjoy it

It depends. I consider myself more of a storyfag than a combatfag, but I do enjoy Wiz8 quite a lot. Perhaps its detailed character system, with lots of freedom and room to explore, it's what appeals to me the most.

Lhynn

Arcane
Which word exactly are who having trouble with?
How does anything but an rpg being originally on PC makes it a CRPG? like its in the word.
We arent trying to define RPGs here, just stating a fact.

Arcanum should have been recieved as the greatest rpg of that decade. It was strangely panned as being bug ridden but, as far as I know, had only one bug patch. Arcanum , in my opinion, is the hardest crpg in terms of solving it's meta game puzzles. Arcanum is deep, it is top 5, it is a big reason why I have respected and followed the codex for years. That and Torment.
Everytime I read a post like yours I'm wondering so many things it's hard to get across.

A) You say you like combat which makes you think, but...
Ok here I have to bring up something. I've noticed there seems to be a division between RPG gamers who like combat-intense RPGs and those who don't. I think it has its roots in war gaming or strategy gaming, even.

First, the developers behind "greats" such as Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale have stated that Baldurs gate was 50/50 story/combat and PST was 75/25 and Icewind Dale was 25/75, or something. They also stated Icewind Dale was supposed to be more like Diablo, as they were instructed to make it that way. So it was marketing too...

What I'm trying to tell you is whether you think the combat is boring or not, perhaps you just like story more? I say this because I hated Planescape Torment. I played it twice, trying to get interested, and it didn't catch. You apparently like it? Now, right here I can tell there's a difference between us. My question is, how far does the rabbit hole go?

Have you tired Jagged Alliance 2? It's a hybrid RPG/Strategy with lots of combat. I loved it. If you could play that and get back to me, maybe we'll get closer to the truth. Maybe I'm a sucker for combat grinds or who knows what.

I've played lots of strategy games in my time, including military simulation games and online FPS deathmatches. I'm far from a story loving player. In the recent poll, I voted Combat/Exploration/CnC, noting story and systems were less important.

Also want to add I tend to prefer dungeon crawls to questing in MMORPGs. Questing is too linear. Maybe I'm an exploration grind fag? I don't know the full truth behind it all, but I do think there's a pattern to my preferences.
B) Save scumming is part of that era, and I hate it...
I can't agree more. What's especially obnoxious is the games of that era ENCOURAGE you to save scum. They don't just do it by accident or something. They fully expect you to save scum and actually give you cookies sometimes.
C) Sometimes a game can suck for inexplicable reasons
And for that I can't comment. Believe it or not, sometimes a game sucks and we don't know why.
D) Old games usually have terrible GUI's (or otherwise user-interfaces)
No where did you state anything about GUI's, but in my expeirence GUI's in old games are nearly unusable. For me that's the hardest part to accept. A customizeable key layout and a easy mouse interface is not always there.
E) I have not played Wizardry 8, except for a brief stint with its demo
I can't say for sure whether I'd actually like Wizardry 8. I can't say you hate it BECAUSE you're not a combat-focused RPG gamer. I only suspect that. You might be right that its combat sucks and it's badly organized. Even though I like combat "grinds", I love tactics and strategy more. If I'm not thinking, I'm not having fun.

Note: I tried a demo for I think Wizardry VII (?) some years ago. I'll admit I hated the overwhelming dismal odds in some of the random fights. Death was virtually certain, like nobody tried to balance the fights. This meant save scumming or at least reloading on a frequent basis was common. I didn't like it. So maybe we agree?​

Last notes....

I didn't like Fallout either. Too many deaths from criticals. I felt, given my situation, there wasn't enough content. So, I ended up not liking another supposed great on the codex. BUT atm I'm playing Baldur's Gate 1 and so far enjoying it.

Last edited:

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Fact: Wizardry 8 is actually not that hard.

Click here for proof
I've never heard anybody say that Wizardry 8 is hard. People who complain about it mostly complain that the combat is tediously slow, largely due to the use of 3D character models over a 3D landscape, and that when you pluck out the length that this imposes you actually discover a rather limited experience compared to the previous two Wizardries.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom