Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Witcher 3 Official Gameplay Trailer

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer
jazz hands

tumblr_m54p03A49D1rwz5gwo1_400.gif

Witcher 2's combat was so terrible I'm tempted to play this one straight into easy mode so that this shit is over with quickly.
Oh god, this bullshit again.
Look, it wasn't the most well rounded aspect of the game for sure, and I'm the first to put little confidence in CDPR's ability to develop a great combat system, but at the same time I could easily listen a good dozen of popular titles with *worse* combat of TW2, starting with EVERY TES EVER MADE, that for some reason don't get a fraction of the shit TW2 got for its flaws.

And the second part of your sentence is the typical kind of self-indulgent crap that annoys me the most; it sounds what you would expect from the NeoGAF's Casual Gaming Defense Force, considered how being WAY TOO EASY was *the* most glaring flaw of TW's combat.
Putting the game on the easiest setting wouldn't make anyone "be done quickly with the bad parts". It would make these parts even worse, more trivial and boring.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
No. My problem with Witcher 2's combat was not so much the difficulty than the fact it was ridiculously boring and repetitive. I went through it using muscle memory and not even bothering caring about what was going to happen ; I now realize that this would have at least been a lot shorter if I had played the game straight away in easy mode. If the challenge is uninteresting, you might as well make it quick.

Was not interested in the Wither 3 before. Got interested in it by watching trailer. Stopped being interested in it after seeing dialogue wheel near the trailer end.
It was short!

hivemind

Yeah, a single dialogue encounter that is meant to show of some minor C&C to illustrate the point to people is really a good example from which you can judge the way dialogue is going to be done throughout the whole game.

Dialogue wheel is principally wrong. It is wrong by simply existing. Or are you saying it's implemented only in one instance for a "trailer shot" and all other dialogues are properly presented?

hivemind

Or are you saying it's implemented only in one instance for a "trailer shot" and all other dialogues are properly presented?
Yeah, pretty much. I mean I'm not 100% sure because I haven't played the game but a short, seemingly irrelevant conversation in the trailer is not enough to safely judge how the whole thing is going to be like. Given also of course that the previous games didn't have dialogue wheels and IIRC some other dialogues which they have shown in the longer gameplay presentation were done in the "proper" way.

also

Dialogue wheel is principally wrong. It is wrong by simply existing.
Alpha Protocol had dialogue done through a dialogue wheel of sorts and it worked great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Some of it is good, but some is bad - the 'then fuck off!' vampire was especially disappointing - he sounds much better in English.
Glad I am not the only one noticing this. I watched the polish trailer and that line, hilarious in english, falls flat in polish. The tone of voice is everything.

In general I like english voices much more though. I will get best of both worlds, great english voices and fantastic czech translation.

hivemind

Do you know if there are any plans for czech voiceovers?
I liked them in the first game.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Do you know if there are any plans for czech voiceovers?
I liked them in the first game.
No CZ voiceovers will be produced.
Personally I hated how Geralt sounded in CZ voiceacting (like permanently constipated drunk) so I am happy with english ones.

AngryKobold

Arcane
I say it's very consistent with said customer group. Ain't all czechs permanently drunk slackers?

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What are the odds that the "clear an area and people will move in" thing is one-off scripted bullshit

Or even worse: maybe they work like outposts in FarCry and after a while clearing an area of monsters becomes a boring and rote affair that you'll do only for the sake of completion. If they did go with the Ubisoft-like open world mechanics that's a really stupid design decision IMO.

Darkzone

Arcane
How is the polish vo?
Some of it is good, but some is bad - the 'then fuck off!' vampire was especially disappointing - he sounds much better in English.
Glad I am not the only one noticing this. I watched the polish trailer and that line, hilarious in english, falls flat in polish. The tone of voice is everything.
In general I like english voices much more though. I will get best of both worlds, great english voices and fantastic czech translation.

I agree with you both, and i wanted already say this to Perkel, but i gave a fuck about this. The voice of the Vampire is too weak, therefore it falls also very weak in polish, he also does not address Geralt directly, but gives a overall typical polish answer without a addressee. If the Vampire would have said with a strong angry voice to Geralt: To spierdalaj! It would have been much better, in my opinion.

Stelcio

Savant

I agree with you both, and i wanted already say this to Perkel, but i gave a fuck about this. The voice of the Vampire is too weak, therefore it falls also very weak in polish, he also does not address Geralt directly, but gives a overall typical polish answer without a addressee. If the Vampire would have said with a strong angry voice to Geralt: To spierdalaj! It would have been much better, in my opinion.

I disagree though and I suspect the difference is that I heard the Polish version first, so I was caught surprised with the line and so it made me laugh. Then when I watched the English version I already expected a funny one-liner and those expectations influenced my reception making the English version worse in my opinion. So I think we just end up liking the first version heard better, while both of them are actually good.

Darkzone

Arcane
I disagree though and I suspect the difference is that I heard the Polish version first, so I was caught surprised with the line and so it made me laugh. Then when I watched the English version I already expected a funny one-liner and those expectations influenced my reception making the English version worse in my opinion. So I think we just end up liking the first version heard better, while both of them are actually good.
TO SPIERDALAJ!!

Now as you see it is much stronger and more meaningful than 'To spierdalac'.

norolim

Arcane
Polish VO is mostly good imo. The delivery in the vampire fragment is different, he sounds more jaded, maybe a bit flat. On the other hand I like the Polish „Pierdolniesz kielicha” more than the English "Drink with me, you cocksucker".

Last edited:

Stelcio

Savant
TO SPIERDALAJ!!

Now as you see it is much stronger and more meaningful than 'To spierdalac'.

No, I am well aware of that, it just doesn't have to be strong and meaningful to be funny. In case of Polish VO it was vampire's indifference to anything before that year 1358, even a witcher over his lair, that made it funny - he just didn't give a single fuck and immediately wanted to go back to sleep.

Darkzone

Arcane
Polish VO is mostly good imo. The delivery in the vampire fragment is different, he sounds more jaded, maybe a bit flat. On the other hand I like the Polish „Pierdolniesz kielicha” more than the English "Drink with me, you cocksucker".
Definitely the polish version is in this case better, because for the "cocksucker" he would be in certain circles 30 cm shorter.

No, I am well aware of that, it just doesn't have to be strong and meaningful to be funny. In case of Polish VO it was vampire's indifference to anything before that year 1358, even a witcher over his lair, that made it funny - he just didn't give a single fuck and immediately wanted to go back to sleep.
I see that this joke is already there in the fact that they are waking up a vampire, and the first thing that the vampire asks is if it is already around 100 years later, and after a answer he simply says to the witcher, that he should go away. But in the polish version he is too lethargic, while in the english version he has more aggressive wit.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Yeah, the Polish version of the 'Fuck off' is inferior to the English one.

Rhalle

Magister
Arguably looking more like Assassin's Creed; Mass Effect; GTA than Skyrim.

A horse of course

I am holding off on buying this because I know it's going to have zero replayability value and I'd like to experience it with most of the graphics settings cranked up. I'll wait until I have a new computer in a year or so. Have the english translations caught up to the final book yet (the one where Geralt and his bros storm the tower)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom