Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wii Games recommandations and tons of subquestions

v1rus

Arcane
Long story short, got a Wii , with no $$$ spent. Tried it out couple of times earlier, and while i rather enjoyed it , I didn't want to shell out any $$$ for it. Now, the dream is alive, hoozah!

As such, I'd like Wii game recommendations. Any good game will do (and Im quite sure there aint a lot of those), as long as they are Wii exclusives/utilize the Wiimote well. I really dont wanna play a generic ps3/pc/w/e port while swinging the Wiimote randomly, unless its actually extremely well done and worthwhile.

Now, onto some specifics.

The only game I tried out is Super Mario Galaxy, since I figure that an entry in such respected and stable series will most prolly use Wii's advantages to the maximum. Played for an hour or two, and I must say, it does seem incredible for now, like every other Mario game I ever played. Not saying there are no bad Mario games out there, but no bad ones come to mind easily, really. Yes, I'm a real sucker for a good platformer. The spherical maps hurt my head a bit, but i guess its gonna get better further i get in the game. As such, any moar gewd platformers are incredibly welcome, since I'm also a big fan of classic Crash/Ape Escape/Spyro/cantremembermoar games.

The next game that comes to the mind is the Nintendo's other big money maker, Zelda. I played almost next to no Zelda games, which is something I wanted to correct for a long time. The problem i had was that i wanted to play through all of them chronologically, so I could understand the context/improvements and the rest fully. Needless to say, I have tried the first game for X number of times, and yet have to finish it. Figured out that I'm prolly wrong and that I dont really need to play every single one chronologically to enjoy the actual good ones (I didnt play all Mario games either after all), and as such, I'd like some moar info on Zelda series in general, with a focus on WIi ones ofc. Should i play any big ones before playing the WIi ones, or what? Which ones are truly TEH SHIT? Afaik, Ocarina of Time takes that title, but I could be wrong, since, well, I havent bloody played it. Similar question concerns Metroid, will I enjoy Metroid Prime (if its any good in the first place ofc) without playing the older Metroid games?

Next obvious group of games are party/multiplayer games, ofc, which should really shine on WIi. Got myself Mario Party 9, Mario Kart Wii, Punch Out!!, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and some Wii sport game. Any moar info on those, and other party/multi games worth a shot? Sadly, I only have two wiimotes, but if any of those turn out really good, Ill try getting 2 moar. Meh homies and I really enjoyed 4 player Crash Bash back in the day, still do as the matter of the fact, and Mario Party seems like the inspiration for that one.

Last, but not and least we have JRPGS. Have no idea are there any good ones on Wii. Been wanting to play Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (yes, I'm also a sucker for a good trpg) for a quite long time, but I seriously need to finish Path of Radiance first since save transfer and all (I adore that mechanic). Sadly, I have no gc controller, and playing GC games on the wiimote looks like a chore. Will try to get my hands on one of those for sure tho, since GC prolly has a decent library itself. Beside FE, only other JRPG that comes to mind is Xenoblade Chronicles. That thing any good?

Ofc, any niche titles are also welcome. Mad World looks like its worth a shot. Maybe I should finally sit down and play through Okami, or the ps3 version is better? In the end, all the game needs to be is good and well, not sucky to play on Wii.

Also, what happened with that "private servers" deal? Remember hearing about that one, buts thats all. Is there a community focused on maintaining Wii multiplayer servers or anything?

v1rus

Arcane
Throw it in the bin and download Dolphin.

Actually, the original plan was to run Dolphin all along :D Got 2 wiimotes, but then realized i need a sensor bar. Got a sensor bar, but it only had a wii entrance, and couldnt get my hands on an usb/wirelless one. Got an old wii from a friend of mine so i could plug the sensor and run dolphin. By then I realized I might as well play the fucking wii since i got the whole thing standing on my desk. + my shitty bluetooth stick cant find the wiimotes (found them once, but it cant find anything now) Same shit, really, since I softmodded and it works, flawlessly. Booting from external HDD is as easy as it gets, adn as far as I know, i can transfer the actual Wii saved games to the Dolphin in 2 mins.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
My favourite Wii game is maybe Zack & Wiki : Quest for Barbados'Treasure. It's kinda played like a PC point&click, the game is divided into levels and the puzzles are really cool, the wiimote is also used for gimmicks. Little King's story is also fun, it's a little like pikmin but there's also a PC port now, which may or may not be better.

For multiplayer games, next to the ones you mentioned there's also a Wario Ware.

I didn't played a lot of plateformers on the Wii, I liked Mario Galaxy, I also liked the 2D Wario Land : The shaked dimension but it's a weird game with objectives, but really not like Mario 64, you really must masterize some aspect of a level to get a star (I'm not saying it's particularly hard except for the hidden levels).

Regarding JRPGs, I didn't like The last story nor Xenoblade Chronicles for different reasons but don't listen to me, they're said to be good including here.
Concerning not-exactly-JRPGs :
I played the roguelike Chocobo Dungeon a little, didn't go very far but still had some fun and will certainly go back to it at point.
I liked Fragile Dreams, it's a short linear "action" adventure RPG with very basic gameplay and some weird features, but I liked the cute melancholical post-apo story.
I kinda enjoyed Pandora's Tower, it's more like a 3D Castlevania or something like that (for lack of a better description) with annoying dating sim elements than a real action RPG but the dungeons are good.

I'm not fan of the Wiimote, but the Wii has several cool games, multiplayer or not, I still have several game to get or to try (Paper Mario, Fire emblem).

v1rus

Arcane
My favourite Wii game is maybe Zack & Wiki : Quest for Barbados'Treasure. It's kinda played like a PC point&click, the game is divided into levels and the puzzles are really cool, the wiimote is also used for gimmicks. Little King's story is also fun, it's a little like pikmin but there's also a PC port now, which may or may not be better.

For multiplayer games, next to the ones you mentioned there's also a Wario Ware.

I didn't played a lot of plateformers on the Wii, I liked Mario Galaxy, I also liked the 2D Wario Land : The shaked dimension but it's a weird game with objectives, but really not like Mario 64, you really must masterize some aspect of a level to get a star (I'm not saying it's particularly hard except for the hidden levels).

Regarding JRPGs, I didn't like The last story nor Xenoblade Chronicles for different reasons but don't listen to me, they're said to be good including here.
Concerning not-exactly-JRPGs :
I played the roguelike Chocobo Dungeon a little, didn't go very far but still had some fun and will certainly go back to it at point.
I liked Fragile Dreams, it's a short linear "action" adventure RPG with very basic gameplay and some weird features, but I liked the cute melancholical post-apo story.
I kinda enjoyed Pandora's Tower, it's more like a 3D Castlevania or something like that (for lack of a better description) with annoying dating sim elements than a real action RPG but the dungeons are good.

I'm not fan of the Wiimote, but the Wii has several cool games, multiplayer or not, I still have several game to get or to try (Paper Mario, Fire emblem).

Yup, I already have WarioWare, forgot to mention it :3 Tho I only glanced upon Zack & Wiki, im sure its just the thing Im looking for, while i added the rest to "try out asap" list.

Paper Mario seems insteresting cuz Mario game, but I'm kinda sad its no longer a jrpg. Really enjoyed the first Paper Mario (the "rpg" one). Wonder when they are gonna go full jrpg once again tho, like in Legend of Seven Stars. Worked rather well, that one. I was only 12 or something, but I was blown to bits. "Its Mario, but in Final Fantasy!"

Max Stats

Liturgist
playing GC games on the wiimote looks like a chore.

It's impossible, not a chore. Unless you're USB/SD loading them with Nintendon't or Devolution or similar "emulators", GC games are only playable with a GC controller.

I'd like some moar info on Zelda series in general, with a focus on WIi ones ofc. Should i play any big ones before playing the WIi ones, or what? Which ones are truly TEH SHIT?

Since they change the setting and protagonists every game or two, there's more of a continuation of themes and familiar elements than any coherent storyline to follow and keep track of, unless you're a sperg into that sort of stuff.

Regarding the Wii ones, Twilight Princess was really a GC game with waggle controls tacked on to capitalize on the way the game had been delayed so long the Wii would be out around the time it was done. I'd definitely say the Wii version isn't the one to play if you have any chance to play the GC (or Wii U) version with regular controls.

Skyward Sword on the other hand, was built from the ground up for Wii (and the motion plus improved tracking later released for the remotes). If you only have older remotes without a motion plus built in or the add on motion plus unit, you can't play the game, you need motion plus. Even then, some people seem to find it doesn't control well at all, while others, myself included, have found it exactly what motion controls always should have been. It's very contentious.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Okami is the best 3D Zelda-type game. It was originally released on the Playstation 2 in 2006 (and later re-released on the PS3 in HD) but ported to the Wii in 2008, though the motion-based controls might be less responsive than the original ones.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade was released in 2009 by Vanillaware, the makers of Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown. It's a similar type of game to Odin Sphere in that it's a semi-beat-'em-up with a single PC and fully 2D view (i.e. no lateral movement).

v1rus

Arcane
Okami is the best 3D Zelda-type game. It was originally released on the Playstation 2 in 2006 (and later re-released on the PS3 in HD) but ported to the Wii in 2008, though the motion-based controls might be less responsive than the original ones.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade was released in 2009 by Vanillaware, the makers of Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown. It's a similar type of game to Odin Sphere in that it's a semi-beat-'em-up with a single PC and fully 2D view (i.e. no lateral movement).

Ye, I know, been wanting to try out Okami for years now, even had the PS2 cd (and a ps2). There are two ports tho, Wii version and PS3 version, any input on which one is better? I liked both Odin Sphere and Dragons Crown, as such Ill def give Muramasa a try.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My own take on the worthwhile games in the Wii Library:

Donkey Kong Country Returns - The best platformer on the Wii, a lot tougher than the Mario games.
Little King's Story - A great little puzzle/action/strategy game. Think of it like a more combat focused Lemmings I guess? A great game.
Muramasa - Solid 2D beat 'em up action RPG. Very similar to Odin Sphere I guess.
No More Heroes 1/2 - 3D beat 'em ups that apes a lot of stuff from GTA. The first one is a bit of a grindy slog at points & there's too much meta humour (not my thing), but the boss battles are fantastic. The bosses are over the top and gimicky, but in a fun way and there are lots of good fights throughout the series. With only a few changes these could literally be Crank: The Game.
Sky Crawlers: innocent Aces - Mind bleedingly stupid plot, but it's a super solid and under appreciated arcadey combat flight game that makes great use of the motion controls.
Trauma Team - Another great motion control game, it's a super anime medical simulator. The others in the series are all about surgery, but this one has different specialties to switch between so you get things like the diagnostician where you do logic puzzles or the coroner that does point and click style mystery segments. No requirement to have played the other trauma center games.
Mario Kart Wii - Probably the best Mario Kart, and one of the best modernish Kart Racers.

JRPGs are a bit of a mixed bag on the Wii, there are some I like, but they are all flawed in my opinion:

Xenoblade - An offline MMO. Generally well done, but very grindy and long. Absurd amount of dull sidequests that you sort of need to do to stay leveled up really kill an momentum in the game.
Pandora's Tower - Presented as a JRPG, but it's more of a Castlevania style game. Very enjoyable dungeons in the game (although I never finished it so the might have gotten worse as the game went on), but the mechanic about keeping the girl happy is kinda annoying.
The Last Story - Another on I never finished, found it bland and dull in a second rate PS1 JRPG sorta way.
Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga - Lots of people seem to not like this one, but I rather enjoyed it. It wears its Wizardry influence on its sleeve. Very dull colour palate for this game, and it requires you to retire your first character one third of the way through to play as his child which I think turns some people away since the first bunch of gameplay as the child is going over old ground again. Still I found it to be an enjoyable JRPG with some old school sensibilities.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I thought Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga was decent. I can see why many people would hate it, but I thought it was kinda cool. I guess one of the main problems is that the game doesn't really start until the 2nd half of the game, when the challenge ramps up and the game gets a lot more complex and interesting. Might have to dig up my Wii to replay it again.

v1rus

Arcane
Should i be getting that improved motion bullshit, or whatever its called?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Ye, I know, been wanting to try out Okami for years now, even had the PS2 cd (and a ps2). There are two ports tho, Wii version and PS3 version, any input on which one is better?
The PS3 version has the advantage of being in HD. Otherwise, as far as I know, the only differences lie in the controls, so it depends on whether you want to use the original PS2-style controls or experience the game with Wii motion controls. Okami didn't sell well in its original PS2 release but found popularity on the Wii, for what that's worth.

Hyperion

Arcane
Should i be getting that improved motion bullshit, or whatever its called?

Some games don't work without it. Skyward Sword is an example. Be sure to look it up before you buy the game.

Xenoblade was decent. It starts off slow, but gets better once you get your full complement of skills. People bitch about FF12 being like an MMO, but praise Xenoblade in the same breath, it's astounding. There are LOTS of fetch quests to do. If you're interested in rebuilding towns, you have to do them all, and will probably require a guide for requirements. They're also necessary for characters' optional skill trees. Doing them will skyrocket your level, and trivialize most of the content for the main story, but there's a pretty large amount of high level side content that I never bothered to do. Characters are mostly more tolerable than your average JRPG character, with the notable exception of Riki. Soundtrack is without a doubt the highlight. I found myself wanting to travel certain areas at night only because the song was so much better than during the day.

The Last Story was mediocre on all fronts. I kept expecting it to get better, more to happen, more gear options to open, and then before I knew it, the game was over.

I hear good things about Pandora's Tower. It's actually sitting next to me still in plastic wrap. I always wanted to play it, but for some reason never pulled the trigger.

Arc Rise Fantasia was another JRPG you could give a shot. Mechanically, it's the only turn-based, traditional one you're going to find. The voice acting is fucking ABYSMAL and you'll want to shut it off within the first hour of play. Unfortunately, if you do that, you won't hear the characters' warning you of a boss's special attack you need to defend. The entire time I played, it reminded me of a turn-based Tales of game for some reason.

Radiant Dawn is expensive. Not Path of Radiance levels of exorbitance, but it's up there.

P.S. - Invest in a classic controller for all of these games. Can't imagine holding the Wiimote sideways for these games.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm pretty sure ARF has an undub out there (though that'd largely has the same problem, but at least you'll know the second time). The last Wii firmware (assuming you have a model with an SD card slot and USB parts instead of the shit one nobody bought) is exploitable so you should have CFW.

sullynathan

Arcane
Since you mentioned Metroid I will recommend Metroid Prime. Just got into the series with Prime and I will say it is a good place to start. Chronologically, Prime is like a prequel or something and story doesn't matter much anyway in this series. Metroid Prime is great, I recently started Prime 2 and its pretty good too.

There''s also Twilight princess which I haven't played much but its the 2nd 3D Zelda with camera controls so thats worth something.

I like Donkey Kong Country returns a lot, it's probably the best 2.5d platformer I've played. Both Mario Galaxies are also very good games.

However, I think the Gamecube library is a lot better than the Wii's in general. F-Zero GX and Metroid prime were amazing.

v1rus

Arcane
I'm pretty sure ARF has an undub out there (though that'd largely has the same problem, but at least you'll know the second time). The last Wii firmware (assuming you have a model with an SD card slot and USB parts instead of the shit one nobody bought) is exploitable so you should have CFW.

ya, on cfw already :3

Got bunch of these right now :3 Life's awesome. Now, to get a that motion sensor plus+ and a gc controller. I wonder is there a gc controller compatible with both wii and pc

Wii Sports is fun, they did a great job with tennis and bowling. The tennis/fitness drills are a fun way to move around and throwing a few innings in baseball is cool. Wii Fit is also great for this.

Remember that you have the Gamecube catalog available to you in addition to the Wii one. Not saying you forgot.

As few others have said prepare to expand dong and get into to konga line with DKC: Returns.

Remember that you have the Gamecube catalog available to you in addition to the Wii one.

This is tha main advantage of Wii but from the native games I'll second for Pandora's Tower plus excellent and unique fighting gaem Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, even if you can't stand animu it's fun as hell, IMHO better than Smash Bros.

v1rus

Arcane
Remember that you have the Gamecube catalog available to you in addition to the Wii one. Not saying you forgot.

As few others have said prepare to expand dong and get into to konga line with DKC: Returns.

Well ya, Im really looking forward the gamecube games, but, I need to get hold of a GC controller, asap.

Remember that you have the Gamecube catalog available to you in addition to the Wii one.

This is tha main advantage of Wii but from the native games I'll second for Pandora's Tower plus excellent and unique fighting gaem Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, even if you can't stand animu it's fun as hell, IMHO better than Smash Bros.

Actually, I played it 5-6 years ago, and ye, was quite fun. Sum of that ANIMU shit translates rather well into fighting games. Also remember playing Naruto Shippuden Ultimate bullsiht something 3, and it was actually fun, despite the game being a cheap ps2 (or sum other console) port, with random swinging thrown in for good measure. There is something in watching a mate swing like a lunatic while playing cheesy bullshit.

Exhuminator

Arcane
My all time favorite Wii game is Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. I don't even care about rail shooters but that game exploded my nuts out my earlobes.

Another non-JRPG that I really enjoyed was Trauma Team. It's a 30 hour long adventure game about a group of medical professionals dealing with all sorts of stuff. Tons of variety, super rad game. And speaking of adventure games, I also adored Another Code R. But most people wouldn't give half a dangus about Another Code R so I'll just stop there on that.

Far as JRPGs go of course you want Xenoblade. On the more obscure side I highly recommend: Shiren the Wanderer and Baroque. I also loved the piss outta Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers. I understand enjoying that game is a crime against humanity, but hey it's a secret Saga game. And while we're talking about how terrible my tastes are, I really enjoyed Dragon Quest Swords. It's a rail-slasher action-RPG. Beating the last boss made my arm hurt for days, but I really enjoyed overall experience. If you have spare cash and "friends" you want to get rid of, check out Dokapon Kingdom. It has a 20 hour long adventure mode that's like a JRPG-board game hybrid for all of you to gleefully suffer through.

I could go on and on. There are lots of excellent games on the Wii. It's totally a system worth having. Despite all its haters it doesn't make your penis any smaller to enjoy it.

v1rus

Arcane
Been having a blast with Rhytm Haven Fever. Any moar similar stuff to that or WarioWare?

Exhuminator

Arcane
There is a WarioWare game on Wii called WarioWare: Smooth Moves just in case you did not know.

You might also like Furu Furu Park, Let's Tap, and Bit.Trip Complete.

Walden

Savant
Wii:

-SM Galaxy
-SM Galaxy 2
-Metroid Prime 3
-Super Paper Mario
-Fire Emblem radiant Dawn
-No More Heroes
-Lost Winds
-NSM Bros
-Dead Space
-Muramasa
-Mad World
-Lost Wind 2
-MH Tri
-Silent Hill Shattered Memories
-Elebits
-Metroid Other M
-No More Heroes 2
-Red Steel
-Red Steel 2
-Epic Mickey
-Xenoblade
-Lost in Shadow
-Zelda SS
-Kirby's Adventure
-The Last Story
-Pandora's Tower
-Monster Lab
-Destroy All Humans
-Project Zero 2
-Fragile Dreams
-Lost in Shadow
-Wario Land Shake dimensions
-Zack and Wiki
-Sin and Punishment

Gamecube shit:

-Skies of Arcadia
-Luigi's Mansion
-Pikmin
-SM Sunshine
-Metroid Prime
-Zelda WW
-Eternal Darkness
-Star Fox Adventures
-Baten Kaitos
-Tales of Symphonia
-P.N.03
-Paper Mario
-Pikmin 2
-MGS Twin Snakes
-Metroid Prime 2
-Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
-Geist
-Baten Kaitos Origins
-Odama
-Zelda TP
-Lost Kingdoms
-Summoner 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom