Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why was BG2. . . subpar?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
BG2 was great while you were in the Athkatla but IMO it falls apart once you finish the quests in the city and go to the next chapter. The story, the dialogue and quest design in the later parts of the game aren't IMO nearly good enough to carry the game as the quest design in the second chapter (or in the city) is what IMO carries the game.

Massacring the whole drow city is kinda fun but it doesn't save the rest of the game...also why can't I help Irenicus to kill the fucking elfs? Fuck elfs, they should be made extinct!

:flamesaw:

Theldaran

Liturgist
The story, the dialogue and quest design in the later parts of the game aren't IMO nearly good enough to carry the game as the quest design in the second chapter (or in the city) is what IMO carries the game.

Well probably... Suldanesselar is boring, but it has a dragon. Spellhold's maze and the Irenicus battle are good I think. The sad thing is that if it was done today, BG should have a more complete evil path instead of just crushing NPCs.

But anyway, Athkatla makes for a fun game. By the way, I prefer opposing the Iron Throne and slowly uncovering their conspiracy than Imoen's kidnapping and chasing Irenicus.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"also why can't I help Irenicus to kill the fucking elfs? Fuck elfs, they should be made extinct!"

1. He's an elf.

2. He raped you.

3. He will murder you if yuou do not stop him.

Just b/c YOU may wnat to be his buddy doesn't mean HE wants to be your buddy/

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm surprised there is no mod to romance Irenicus and help him with killing the elfs and then bringing revenge on his ex Ellesime.
...although there's Ascension...

janior

Arcane
Patron
Is it just me or every good/neutral character was f!@#$%^ annoying, especially Jaheira aka muh love is dead im so sad etc, naaaaaaaaaaah it is the way of things. Natural process let's just not resurrect him lmao.

pippin

That's Bioware writing for you: every character has only one factor shaping their personalities.

Also I've always thought the fight against Irenicus is dissappointingly easy.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
A minority even here, on the codex.
An elite within an elite. Master race of master races. But looking down it still looks like shit, so I'm not sure if distinction between places is necessary.
There used to be time when Baldur's Gate was decline, not a memory of something from which further decline occurred.

But keep bathing in your superiority complex ;)
I will.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Khalid's death was a conflict of writer's will versus system rules. Designers did not want him in the game, he'd been a subpar character. Forgotten Realms allows for easy, painless resurrection. This happens all the time. I didn't finish Jaheira romance but letting Khalid die was way off character. Best solution should have been to also remove her from the game or give her a death. Besides as a caster she was much more a threat to Irenicus than Khalid.

Enviado desde mi Edison 3 mediante Tapatalk

pippin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are some exceptions about resurrection. For instance, Khalid's body was completely destroyed, and in that state, trying resurrection would drain the cleric who did it. In the same manner, when your characters explode when they die, you can't bring them back.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Well it's very relative. Forgotten Realms has many outrageous stories of main characters making a comeback in the most ridiculous of ways, a la Marvel. The Resurrection spell is nonetheless a 9th level spell and very powerful. Its implementation varies, but it should be nearly a miracle.

Enviado desde mi Edison 3 mediante Tapatalk

Androv

Novice
That's Bioware writing for you: every character has only one factor shaping their personalities.

Most companions have more than one factor shaping their personality. And if it's mostly just one factor shaping their outlook on things it's usually something really major. Like Aerie for instance.

Aerie gets her wings clipped so the devs didn't have to animate avariel wings. she is made to live on ground for the rest of her life, never being able to fly again. To me this would shape your personality quite a bit. Which it really does in her case. Very shy and helpless without her wings: leaving room for character development. if you decide to fuck her brains out one day. Also having to work at a circus for the most useless BG1 companion can't be a confidence builder neither.

And that Jaheira is pissed and sad over Khalids death forms her personality a bit especially since it just happened. And in the previous game she would get quite mad if he died and now it's that pain times a hundred. (Now that it is a scripted event. :D) And her stubborn outlook on death comes back later when she's had time to grieve as well, overcoming a "factor".

So that these factors outweigh the others in these circumstances is totally justified and warranted.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Khalid's death drives forth Jaheira's content and dialogues (but IIRC only in her romance), but it's ultimately stupid in a world where resurrection is relatively common (what about the quest in BG1 where you help bring a kid back from the dead?). Of course the devs come forth and hurry to explain that Irenicus' doings on Khalid's body leave him unable to be resurrected, but that is just a gimmick. If anything there could have been a quest to seek a means of bringing Khalid back from the dead. Such as working for the temple and call on the favors of a mighty priest. Probably boring and just to gain Jaheira's favor, but it could have added something different.

Lhynn

Arcane
Khalid's death drives forth Jaheira's content and dialogues (but IIRC only in her romance), but it's ultimately stupid in a world where resurrection is relatively common (what about the quest in BG1 where you help bring a kid back from the dead?). Of course the devs come forth and hurry to explain that Irenicus' doings on Khalid's body leave him unable to be resurrected, but that is just a gimmick. If anything there could have been a quest to seek a means of bringing Khalid back from the dead. Such as working for the temple and call on the favors of a mighty priest. Probably boring and just to gain Jaheira's favor, but it could have added something different.
Nope, even in D&D theres a point were you cant get resurrected anymore, and there are many, many ways to get you there.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Nope, even in D&D theres a point were you cant get resurrected anymore, and there are many, many ways to get you there.
That may be true for the limited 5th level spell, but not for a quasi-miracle of 9th level. Still there's permadeath in-game (when your characters just explode), but the point is, writers have the final word. If they had wanted Khalid in the game, he could be raisable or not even dead to begin with, but clearly they didn't.

Androv

Novice
You don't have level 5 priest spells or level 6 wizard ones when you find his body however, and the dungeon does kinda implode on itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom