Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are we still giving the Schafster money?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Why are we still giving the Schafster money?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I meant "we" in the rhetorical sense, as I didn't purchase it myself. ScummVM has sufficed me for many years now.

Well, at least you know what you're getting when paying him for a game that was made 25 years ago. That's marginally better than paying him for a game that not only doesn't exist yet, but also doesn't even have a name, theme, concept, or artwork.

His list of crimes, as I recall them:

• given wildly more funding than originally asked for, then squandering it, asking for more, and releasing the game (which is artsy-fartsy bullshit) in two parts
  • Spacebase DF-9 "released" unfinished, missing the majority of features
  • cofounded Fig, surreptitiously manipulated the end date for Psychonauts 2 crowdfunding campaign (I'm a bit unclear on this bit)
  • supports Anita Sarkeesian et al. and other toxic personalities

Did I miss anything?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I meant "we" in the rhetorical sense, as I didn't purchase it myself. ScummVM has sufficed me for many years now.

Well, at least you know what you're getting when paying him for a game that was made 25 years ago. That's marginally better than paying him for a game that not only doesn't exist yet, but also doesn't even have a name, theme, concept, or artwork.

• given wildly more funding than originally asked for, then squandering it, asking for more, and releasing the game (which is artsy-fartsy bullshit) in two parts
  • cofounded Fig, surreptitiously manipulated the end date for Psychonauts 2 crowdfunding campaign (I'm a bit unclear on this bit)

Did I miss anything?
You missed him causing the holocaust.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Oh right, there's that.

Well, there's no great shame in buying DotT Remastered. It is, after all, pure incline and one of the best adventure games of all time. I just find it odd to continue to support someone who essentially treats his decades-long loyal fans with disdain and squanders their trust and money.

The game has only sold around 20,000 copies anyway, which equates to around $218,000 profit after Steam's cut. It's not as though he's been inundated with huge quantities of money all of a sudden, and I imagine there were salaries and expenses to pay also.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just find it odd to continue to support someone who essentially treats his decades-long loyal fans with disdain and squanders their trust and money.
Haha, what a load of bullshit. The only thing you can blame Tim for is abandoning Spacebase DF9, the other things are all just behind the scenes stuff which didn't have too much effect on our part.

Mismanaged Broken Age and split it into 2 parts to get more funding? Yes. What did it cost us? Nothing, we still got the game, it was just got delayed, which happen all the time anyway in this industry.
Tim supporting SJWs? Yes, and I hate radical SJWs. But does he rubs it in my face all the time? No, he is not radical so I don't care. I hate Sawyers SJW, but i still like PoE.
Massive Chalice. The game got made, and although it is a mixed game with good and bad, it can be fun for a while and Tim delivered.
Pushing the Psychonauts 2 Fig date with a week? Yes. So...fucking....what? How does that hurt anybody? We don't even know why did they do that? They might have messed up the date for the first time. Or they thought that the campaign ended in a bad date financially.

Fucking people should are about their lives and the games they got, not talking about a developer fucking a goat or not in their spare time.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's not necessarily that he's made any one particular damning misstep (although he has); it's the gestalt of all of those missteps that causes me, personally, to believe that people should probably stop giving him money until he cleans up his act.

Spacebase DF-9 was the worst and was probably the nail in the coffin. As I recall, development on DF-9 began before Broken Age was finished, was fairly obviously a cash grab, and then the people who actually paid money into that cash grab got fucked over by a "released" but very obviously incomplete game... and that was after this promise which was, for all intents and purposes, broken:

Double Fine is not a random fly-by-night indie dev and we are not going to silently pull the plug on Spacebase or any other in-development project. Doing so would be disastrous for our reputation and it would kill us emotionally.

Yeah, they didn't pull the plug on it per se. They just abandoned it and called it "released."

Blatantly lying while ripping off your fans for a quick cash grab is absolutely disdainful, disrespectful, and a breach of their trust, and if you believe otherwise then you are one dumb, deluded motherfucker.

Mustawd

Mostly because most backers feel that a few dozen dollars is enough of a sacrific for the chance that TSchafer can capture lightning in a bottle again. The risk is just not that big a deal (on average of course).

I'd say that giving money to the Coles (of QFG) is a much more idiotic a move.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, sorry but fuck Double Fine. Spacebase DF-9 was the final nail in the coffin in a long string of fuck-ups.

If any of their future games catch my interest, I'll gladly pirate it. I might even tweet Tim Schafer to tell him how much I'm enjoying the game I didn't pay for, just to be extra edgy.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Looks like this was excised from the actual Day of the Tentacle Remastered thread.

That's rather inconsistent, given that people in the primary Star Citizen thread (one example; there are others) are allowed to shit all over the game and its developer for dozens of pages without the posts being moved elsewhere, but this wouldn't be the Codex without some staff member getting butthurt about people being mean to his beloved game and moving posts, changing thread titles, or otherwise misusing his powers for no good reason.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Main reason? Man's got strong nostalgia power backing him up, and gamers are far too trusting in developers and lack foresight or patience. I don't think we've had enough truly high-profile, catastrophic failures in the gaming kickstarter scene to truly put people off the concept (That Yogcast game is the only colossal failure we've had in the past few years).

I'd imagine Psychonauts 2 either failing or being a critical disaster could possibly shake people's faith in Double Fine enough to seriously ruin their credibility, but until they begin fucking up I don't see this trend ending anytime soon.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Blatantly lying while ripping off your fans for a quick cash grab is absolutely disdainful, disrespectful, and a breach of their trust, and if you believe otherwise then you are one dumb, deluded motherfucker.
I think the reason why many people is giving Tim money, is because opposite to what the haters think, they have good intentions, do their best to make good, unique games. Somehow people think that they are sitting in their evil tower and planning about scamming people and making up elaborate lies. When the sad reality is just their management team (meaning Tim) is not the best

They didn't release Spacebase in an unfinished state so they can say "so long fuckers, and thanks for the money". They thought that they can finance the game through early access, but it turned out they can't. And you can surely remember that last year DF had to lay off people for the first time in their history. This showed that they were in a very bad financial situation. Now as a manager, when your company is close to going bankrupt, you sure as hell cancel a project like Spacebase, when it can sunk your company. Or you continue to develop Spacebase, then in 2 months DF closes down, and Spacebase gets cancelled anyway.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't mind if retards give him money.
  • If the useful idiots manage to fund a good game I will swoop in and play it.
  • If the useful idiots fund a flop / unfinished product. Then I can swoop into the Tim Shillfer threads on the 'dex and talk shit.
From a purely pragmatic view - it's win win.

EDIT:
Would I like to see Shillfer go out of business and be forced to scrounge in garbage bags for food? Yea of course - but cucks are gonna get cucked. What can you do.

Looks like this was excised from the actual Day of the Tentacle Remastered thread.

That's rather inconsistent, given that people in the primary Star Citizen thread (one example; there are others) are allowed to shit all over the game and its developer for dozens of pages without the posts being moved elsewhere, but this wouldn't be the Codex without some staff member getting butthurt about people being mean to his beloved game and moving posts, changing thread titles, or otherwise misusing his powers for no good reason.

Whines about people mentioning the Star Citizen in relation to himself, mentions Star Citizen at every turn.

:codexisfor:

Norfleet

Double Fine is not a random fly-by-night indie dev and we are not going to silently pull the plug on Spacebase or any other in-development project. Doing so would be disastrous for our reputation and it would kill us emotionally.

Yeah, they didn't pull the plug on it per se. They just abandoned it and called it "released."
Well, he was right. It certainly hasn't been good for their reputation.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Did I miss anything?
Turning one of his game (forgot name and details) into "game designed for my kid(s)" so you can't attack his decision because KIDS. You can't criticize something for kids or something done to protect them (fuel for censorship) without sense of ostracism (outside of codex, in social media).

Last edited:
Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
The only fun thing this gay lardball has done in the last 20 years is the first 45 seconds of the kickstart video. I'm glad I didn't donate to that fiasco, nor any of his other "enterprises".

I hope he dies already.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I think the reason why many people is giving Tim money, is because opposite to what the haters think, they have good intentions, do their best to make good, unique games. Somehow people think that they are sitting in their evil tower and planning about scamming people and making up elaborate lies. When the sad reality is just their management team (meaning Tim) is not the best

They didn't release Spacebase in an unfinished state so they can say "so long fuckers, and thanks for the money". They thought that they can finance the game through early access, but it turned out they can't. And you can surely remember that last year DF had to lay off people for the first time in their history. This showed that they were in a very bad financial situation. Now as a manager, when your company is close to going bankrupt, you sure as hell cancel a project like Spacebase, when it can sunk your company. Or you continue to develop Spacebase, then in 2 months DF closes down, and Spacebase gets cancelled anyway.

Do you honestly believe that anyone hates him because they think he is some kind of cartoon villain? Their godawful management skills is precisely why people hate them. People are simply tired of giving him second chances and then getting burned anyway.

Athelas

Arcane

Did I miss anything?
With the exception of the Spacebase debacle (which might have been too niche a game to attract much attention to begin with), I don't believe most people outside the Codex view these things as crimes or major screwups.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom