Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Where No Game Has Gone Before: How Mass Effect Challenges Sci Fi's Greatest Achievements

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Meh. About as hard as X-Com with its Elerium 115. Oh well, they gotta pander to the masses.

At least they did try to write out a Codex entry for every strange tech they threw in, so I guess that's what this guy was trying to embellish.

Phelot

Arcane
We do a lot internally to make sure that our science is based on plausible ideas, so it just isn't about magic in space.

What he means is the science of happening upon alien technology that allows you to perform space magic. Isn't that the gist of how all this tech occurred in the ME universe? TBH, I could be wrong, but that's basically the easiest way around our current understanding of physics. I mean, 2001 Space Odyssey did it, humanity can only go so far and then, well luckily they found this relic from some alien race and thus: MAGIC!

I personally don't feel there's anything wrong with this, just a matter of how you present, but please don't act like your shit is all plausible and makes perfect scientific sense.

These fools should read up on some Marathon! (That's my Bungie plug of the month)

Black

Arcane
I was so happy.

10044.jpg

misha

Educated
"Essentially, Mass Effect is a Hard Sci-Fi experience at the boundaries, and what's in between is more of a lite Sci-Fi experience for people who want it to be that as well. And that's the kind of fun of the Mass Effect Universe – it can be what you want it to be."
My Grandma used to say: "if sth is made to do everything, it's a piece of shit which won't do anything in a right way"

NewFag

Educated
It seems to me the video game industry is on the:decline:faster than all the other shit entertainment industries... combined.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hard sci-fi?

Bringing this here from the LOL Bioware thread.

You combine your energy with that of the superweapons, you melt away and your essence and the weapons energy is beamed all across the galaxy, turning all plants, animals and Sapient beings partially synthetic and synthetic beings like EDI, Geth and the Reapers partially organic.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hard sci-fi?

Bringing this here from the LOL Bioware thread.

You combine your energy with that of the superweapons, you melt away and your essence and the weapons energy is beamed all across the galaxy, turning all plants, animals and Sapient beings partially synthetic and synthetic beings like EDI, Geth and the Reapers partially organic.
:what:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
What I took away from this article was a confirmation that Mass Effect is in no way based on quality sci fi, but rather on blockbuster popcorn stuff like JJ Abrams produces (and I liked Star Trek just fine, y'know, for what it was). No surprise, but y'know.

It's not really an interview or news item or even press release.

It's sort of an interview, only the interviewed didn't say anything remotely interesting so the author had to bullshit around it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Perhaps the entire Mass Effect series is simply one huge elaborate GNAA troll?

Cassidy

Arcane

Not only Gayniggers from Outer Space is far more hard sci-fi than any Mass Shit Popamole, but also its story and plot are quite superior, and it succeeds at providing far more and better entertainment.

The screenwriters for this movie are perfect Shakespeare clones compared to Gaider, Hamburger Helper and the rest of shitty writers in Bioware.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I SAID ME IS RELATIVELY HARD SCIFI FOR VIDEO GAMES

I THINK IT TRIED BUT IT DID BAD AT TRYING IN MANY RESPECTS I FEEL BAD FOR THERE ATTEMPTS AT PHYSICS

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I WENT THROUH SOME OF THE ME SCIENCE SHIT AND I FEEL BAD FOR THERE SCIENCE GIUY I THINK THE PREMISE IS THAT IF YOU LOWER MASS YOU CAN ACCELARATE TO FASTER THAN LIGHT SPEED WHICH WOULD BE STATE OF THE ART IN THE 1700S

BROS THEY TRIED IT HURTS MY HEART THAT THEY WEENT MORE COMPETENT

There is a NPC on the Citadel in ME2 that discusses Newtonian Physics.

Yeah, but in the dumbest way possible. The "discussion" was a warning about firing a mass driver randomly and accidentally hitting planets, except that any given trajectory has something significantly less than a trillion to one chance of actually hitting something before it left the galaxy. Of the 1 trillionth of shots that were precisely aimed to hit something in the future, its another billion to one chance that it actually hit something that would harm people (it would almost always hit a star/gas giant/uninhabited planet), and of that billionth of a trillionth it would take tens if not hundreds of thousands of years to actually hit that something.

You are missing the point of why it is even there at all Mr. Average Manatee.

I confess that I can't see much of a point behind anything that happens in the ME series. It seems to be entirely comprised of numerous non-plausible events strung along in succession with no rhyme or reason.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You are missing the point of why it is even there at all Mr. Average Manatee.

I confess that I can't see much of a point behind anything that happens in the ME series. It seems to be entirely comprised of numerous non-plausible events strung along in succession with no rhyme or reason.

The Mass Effect series has always been a B Movie experience.

When you spend any amount of time deeply analyzing it, you are doing it wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom