Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe he's not doing dungeons?
Not that I've compared the two but questing is insanely fast these days. Every new expansion they nerf the curve. Even levels 100-110 take no more than two or so hours a level.
They did nerf dungeon xp at some point, if my memory serves me. Still, if he is a healer or tank, then he should spam dungeon finder to level up. If he is DPS, then I think questing comes close.

Although, if this is his first character, then I think exploring the world is worth his time. WoW is still good for that.

Windwalker

Stygian Software
Developer
So...

I have been playing WoW for like, 40 hours. I am really taking it slow, like for every game I play. I'm human, level 35, warlock.

And I'm afraid there is something I don't get in this game. I clearly am not playing it properly because while the mechanic I'm experiencing is very addictive, I don't think I'm having a fun time at all.

All I have been doing so far is going from an exclamation point to another, spamming the Drain Soul spell which makes me absolutely invulnerable. I have never, ever, healed myself. Drain life is making me regenerate faster than the enemies can harm me. I was expecting the game to get tougher, to force me to learn new abilities, but I frankly don't even care at all to check if I can improve my equipment, or even to bother looking into the spells I have to see if I have something more powerful. Following the game flow, nothing is a threat to me. The entire game so far has been moving from zones to zones, following quests that involve for most of them killing 10 things, killing said 10 things by standing in front of these and just pressing 1, getting the XP, and moving to another zone.

It's simple. It's brainless, and it works if I'm on the laptop watching TV drinking beer, but I don't feel like I'm achieving anything.

What the hell am I missing ?

Some people suggested to bother checking the other spells, so that "I can kill enemy faster", but why ? So I can move to the next enemy even faster ? What is the point ? I'm doing progress without even being in danger, that's another form of playing properly, I guess.

Wow had that experience back in vanilla, there is no point, in my opinion, for going slow in WoW nowdays, those days are gone. You are not missing anything actually, it's just because of 12 years of constant updating and adding content, expansions etc, game is forcing you to have true experience on max (atm 110 lvl). Below that you can just call exploration missions, which also you can do much easier on max level.
It's a truly amazing game and worth every penny but you have to accept the fact that they want you only to play latest content. Only on max level you have quests, gear, skill which have purpose and can be competative.
Level number should be irrelevant for you. Go max and enjoy fighting one npc for 2 minutes and heal the shit out of yourself :)

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I almost wish blizzard would add a newgame+ type feature with the older zones. They already have the feature in place with Legion zone scaling, but it is limited to the Broken Isle. I think it would be entertaining to fight a jacked up 110+ Hogger.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I guess he's 'exploring' then. For laughs I made a new character on the PTR -- human warlock like taxalot. No hair-looms or anything. Took under twenty minutes to get to level six and out of the starting area. Obviously the time increases as you level but 35 is still low. He said he was afk for a good portion of his time so fair enough.

taxalot maybe try another class. I never found warlock particularly interesting leveling or in groups. But if you're only going to spam one spell/ability then nothing is going to be fun.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
The problem with warlock in my opinion is that you need at least 20% haste (I cannot vouch for affliction), or you will have an awkward time. Demonology especially needs haste, because you have to hard cast virtually every spell, and more haste equals more imps, which means better Thakiel Consumption hits (steals health from each active pet for a nuke, more pets, more damage). Haste smooths everything over.

Direwolf

Arcane
Jesus Christ WoW fanboys are at least 2 standard deviations below the average IQ. I very clearly explained how the Pre-Legion invasions were exploited for massive XP gains IN THE EXACT SAME WAY AS THESE WQS and Blizz did nothing about it but I guess that flew right over your dumb heads.

Here's an example: CCP (makers of Eve Online) would NEVER punish anyone in a situation similar to this; where the player takes advantage of the game's systems for some sort of gain. They also encourage emergent game play rather than doing everything in their power to stomp it out.

Of course, WoW is much more popular because it appeals to the lowest common denominator. They'll ban anyone that thinks outside the box to get some sort of advantage because the retarded playerbase wouldn't be able to compete otherwise. And that's why Blizz games (besides starcraft) suck. Just do whatever DBM tells you and follow your quest compass. Keep the skill ceiling low.

I'm trying to keep these posts short because you guys have the memory of a peanut and can't follow a logical progression that's longer than a sentence. No wonder the rest of RPGCodex looks down on this thread.

Except that pre-Legion invasions were meant to be abused that way. Blizzard specifically mentioned that they expected people to level alts using those invasions and level them fast, but obviously your memory is even shorter to remember that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ That. They explicitly stated it was meant for people to level alts... the result of which would be to drive more sales of Legion.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I bought a faction change for one of my characters last night and it still says "pending" in the service history thing and I even can still log in onto that character on login screen :< I hope nothing went wrong there

Mortmal

Arcane
The problem with warlock in my opinion is that you need at least 20% haste (I cannot vouch for affliction), or you will have an awkward time. Demonology especially needs haste, because you have to hard cast virtually every spell, and more haste equals more imps, which means better Thakiel Consumption hits (steals health from each active pet for a nuke, more pets, more damage). Haste smooths everything over.

Demonology needs the more haste you can stack , and its hard to get it, get the items with the haste pray you get titanforged, that means you almost never get upgrades.Gameplay is very boring,you are a stationary turret with no defenses, its ok on single target raids , mediocre in dungeons, absolutely awful in pvp .
Aflliction need even better gear to start to shine , 30% haste is required and as much mastery you can.Great to do aoe in mythic dungeon, good in pvp, awful in raids.
Destro 30% haste and as much crit you can stack.Good in pvp, mediocre in dungeons, mediocre in raid except when you can cleave.
Demo is good at single target, affli at aoe , detro at cleave, that means a considerable amount of ap to farm to get viable in all situations, no class has to do this , even when you max it, it isnt specially good.

Theres a lot lot better to pick,and more fun, i'd suggest a mage a shaman or a druid instead.
I highly suggest new players to pick another class, you've been warned , i wasnt.

Revenant

So I bought a faction change for one of my characters last night and it still says "pending" in the service history thing and I even can still log in onto that character on login screen :< I hope nothing went wrong there
Diablo 3 servers appear to be down as well, maybe they are having some sort of technical problems.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

Demonology needs the more haste you can stack , and its hard to get it, get the items with the haste pray you get titanforged, that means you almost never get upgrades.Gameplay is very boring,you are a stationary turret with no defenses, its ok on single target raids , mediocre in dungeons, absolutely awful in pvp .
Aflliction need even better gear to start to shine , 30% haste is required and as much mastery you can.Great to do aoe in mythic dungeon, good in pvp, awful in raids.
Destro 30% haste and as much crit you can stack.Good in pvp, mediocre in dungeons, mediocre in raid except when you can cleave.
Demo is good at single target, affli at aoe , detro at cleave, that means a considerable amount of ap to farm to get viable in all situations, no class has to do this , even when you max it, it isnt specially good.

Theres a lot lot better to pick,and more fun, i'd suggest a mage a shaman or a druid instead.
I highly suggest new players to pick another class, you've been warned , i wasnt.
Mage is a safe bet. I can only think of one raid tier mages were truly horrible (Sunwell). Otherwise, I think it is a straight forward caster, especially compared to warlock, and they perform well.

As for warlock, Demonology can be fun with high haste. Thakiel's Consumption and Implosion were the fun parts of the spec for me. You can pull off nasty hits with Thakiel's Consumption, but a split second delay could lose you 100k or more in damage, because the spell does not factor in total demon health until the end of the cast. You need to factor in demon numbers, demonic empowerment (increases demon health), and cooldown summons (big health pool demons). Therefore, you have to mix and match short cooldowns (12 seconds for imps and empowerment), moderate cooldowns (15 second for hounds, 25 seconds for Beholder), and long cooldowns (2 minutes for Doomlord). As for implosion, you need to hit Implosion just after you cast Hand of Guldan. That way you suicide bomb the prior/first batch of imps just before the second batch of imps form.

Warlock can be rewarding, but a Mage can do similar damage without jumping through so many hoops.

Edit: Mortmal also brought up a good point. Gearing right can be a pain. A 850 level item can be inferior to a 810 level item solely because of secondary stats. Haste is that important to demonology.

In contrast, Holy Paladin favors crit and mastery, and haste is virtually useless. When I see haste on an item, I nearly cry. It is such a waste.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Nothing to add to what maculo said, a mage will do the same dps without the clunky mechanism .There's some VIP classes the devs play , lock isnt one , theres some story about the previous lock dev (xelnath)not being appreciated by his peer and now they are undoing his work. Also rumored he cucked one of the guy, so they somewhat hate warlock with a passion.

Mortmal

Arcane
Faction change worked. Ironically it was on my lvl 100 warlock :P I'll only be using it for pvp tho
Avoid demonology its absolutely awful for pvp now. So far affliction seems to do the biggest number but destro is more satisfying , get the -20% life pvp talent and spam chaos bolt . But none of this is viable in arenas.

Mortmal

Arcane
Warlocks are shaping up to be the more potent raidclass though currently if you look at warcraftlogs, especially Trial of Valor

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/12

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10

I agree on the other hand that mages are more fun to play. Best class along with rogues since vanilla.
Raid its ok i am topping the chart, but at what cost... no mobility , and i never do so well in mythic+ . I can do some but its way below other dps for clearing trash and good for single target, or its the other way around. Its far from optimal ,f people can get better in group they sure will do.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Faction change worked. Ironically it was on my lvl 100 warlock :P I'll only be using it for pvp tho
Avoid demonology its absolutely awful for pvp now. So far affliction seems to do the biggest number but destro is more satisfying , get the -20% life pvp talent and spam chaos bolt . But none of this is viable in arenas.

I'll go affli. I think affli can work in arena, sure it is immobile and prone to dispells but when you play smartly you should be able to outplay some ppl. I also like trying exotic stuff ;) but usually I heal anyway

Mortmal

Arcane

I'll go affli. I think affli can work in arena, sure it is immobile and prone to dispells but when you play smartly you should be able to outplay some ppl. I also like trying exotic stuff ;) but usually I heal anyway

you can outsmart dumb people for sure... Problem is you will meet skilled people too, and then better have the fotm classes. A skilled melee close in, youa re dead, nothing you can do anymore as lock.if you want exotism youll get exotism....
but that kind of exotism:
006-PRINTS.jpg

dsc02510.jpg

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

you can outsmart dumb people for sure... Problem is you will meet skilled people too, and then better have the fotm classes. A skilled melee close in, youa re dead, nothing you can do anymore as lock.if you want exotism youll get exotism....
but that kind of exotism:
006-PRINTS.jpg

dsc02510.jpg

Isn't this some sort of logical fallacy? In any multiplayer ladder, you're going to get to a personal cap where your win ratio is .5 and you don't really advance so unless you're trying to be #1 you're better off just playing whatever class you enjoy.

Mortmal

Arcane
Isn't this some sort of logical fallacy? In any multiplayer ladder, you're going to get to a personal cap where your win ratio is .5 and you don't really advance so unless you're trying to be #1 you're better off just playing whatever class you enjoy.

Getting the warlock to 110 require quite the farming, especially maxing the artefacts,getting good gear and relics, its a massive time investment to get a class that will be ok in wild pvp but unplayable in arena. I am speaking of pvp cause its what scrooge will do. For pve , no one want them in mythic + groups.
I am the evil guy telling the truth no one wants to hear, but after the time investment and comparing to other classes, i think it will be very hard to have fun with it.Its the least played class now , theres a reason.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Warlocks are shaping up to be the more potent raidclass though currently if you look at warcraftlogs, especially Trial of Valor

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/12

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10

I agree on the other hand that mages are more fun to play. Best class along with rogues since vanilla.
Warlocks can do solid damage, but I would not recommend it for a beginner. You need to know more about gearing, what spells to chain together (at least for demo), and a basic understanding of Weak Auras (would not play warlock without it). As the raid tiers progress, mage may slip behind warlock, but I am confident it will not be by a drastic amount and mage will remain relatively stress free.

In theory yes, but I would argue the initial gear curve hits warlock hard relative to some other classes (mage, Demonhunter). For a beginner, that may be a lesson in frustration, because the basic gear does not necessarily start you off with 20% haste. 20% is when I think Demonology and Destruction begin, and I do not know how many beginners would know that. Compare that with Mage or Demon Hunter, and there is a night and day difference.

I cannot emphasize enough how important haste is for Demonology. It is easy to think the spec is terrible, until you understand Thakiel's Consumption and gear accordingly.

Goodluck, I have heard that PVP is a melee fest, and so I would mentally prepare.

One thing to know is that the developers scrapped the main mechanic attached to Affliction's artifact. If I remember correctly, souls/ghosts would randomly spawn during a fight, and you would kill them for a temporary damage buff. As far as I know, there was no real replacement mechanic. Instead, Affliction has a multiple ramp up mechanics that rely on either killing an opponent first or a procs.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I got my first legendary on my Holly Paladin (Chain of Thrayn), and initially I thought I got a raw deal. Currently, Chain of Thrayn provides a 15% heal if you cast a blessing. This is apparently good for prot pally (I have no interest in tanking). I checked the 7.15 patch notes, and it is getting changed to 35% healing and 25% damage increase during Avenging Wrath. Avenging Wrath already grants 35% to healing and 20% to crit chance. Thus, come the patch 7.15 I will have 70% healing, 20% crit, 20% to damage for, and 4 second cd for holy shock (bread and butter spell) for 25 seconds every 2 minutes.

Now, I am definitely invested in this character. I have not had this much fun with the game in a while. The same faults are there, but the talent and gear system feels better than in prior expansions. I just hope blizzard does not try to fuck it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom