Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favourite The Settlers game?

Don Peste

Arcane
I played The Settlers III when it was released. Now I'm playing The Settlers II on DOSBox. Should I play the others?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
My favorite is 2. I haven't played any others but 3.

...hey, I answered your question.

Renegen

Arcane
I played 1,2 and 7. It's 7 by far. It has quite some elements of board games that make it really fun.

Haven't played anything beyond 3 but from first ones II 10th anniversary edition is my favourite, think they released it for free a little while ago, gameplay is 2, it just has updated 3d graffiks and works fine on new Windozas.

thexspr

Educated
Second, but I stopped at third. Lack of road management there turned me off. Are roads back in 7th?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
10th anniversary followed by 7 and 6.

10th because it's an updated 2.If you speak Kraut or Potato there is a Viking expansion for 10th Anniversary that is more goodness.

7 is closer to the first two in gameplay and apart from the bullshit DRM(which I think has been neutralised now) is good.

6 is more traditional economic RTS but a combination of smooth interface, graphics and relaxed gameplay due to less micromanagement make it fun enough. Don't understand the hate really.

pipka

Savant
Settlers 2 where building roads was fun. Tried S3, couldn't get into it. The pace seemed to be slower and the artwork is shoddy. Never had interest in sequels since.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Surprised by the 7 reactions. Granted I've never played the series but 7 seems to be a shameless DLC milk-fest never mind that horrible Ubisoft online requirement... on legitimate copies.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
So you're saying 7 is good? Weird, I thought the series went down the gutter after the second part (3 wasn't that bad yet, but the next ones... god). Might not remove it from inventory sometime.

catfood

AGAIN
I started with the 3rd one so I'm going to go with that for nostalgia's sake. I also played 2nd, 4th and 5th and then stopped.

2nd one was alright but I hated the combat mechanics. And never understood the road fetish that some people have.

I could barely play the 4th one because the graphics style was so cluttered that I got huge head aches after an hour or so. Come to think of it, HOMM 4 did the same thing to me so that's one thing they have in common apart from the digit.

I also played 5th a bit, but I don't remember much from it apart that you had to build clay pits and timber yards. I also remember there being some heroes. Pretty shitty overall.

Well to be honest, I've had more fun with Knights and Merchants than any of the Settlers games. I've been replaying that one recently. I found even more ways to exploit the AI :p

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
So you're saying 7 is good? Weird, I thought the series went down the gutter after the second part (3 wasn't that bad yet, but the next ones... god). Might not remove it from inventory sometime.

Yup, same here, this thread has woken up my interest. I hated that they turned the Settlers games into a typical RTS later on but from the little info I've seen looks like 7 is back to the roots.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Loved Settlers II the most, also had "hot-seat" mode. Played most of the others as well.

Haha, that reminds me of the fun times I had when playing Settlers 2 on my PC in hotseat with an old elementary school friend. We were like 8 or 9 at that time.

Raapys

Arcane
Settlers 2 was and is awesome. Still enjoyed it when I've played it in recent years.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Yeah I actually played 7 a bit and it was surprisingly good. Yes the road management was back but instead of having bros tied to one section of road between flags they were tied to storehouses. Also the resource chain/tree was a bit different as was the combat. But the basic supply chain gameplay was not that much different from II.

This reminds me that I still need to finish the last mission in the vanilla campaign in the 10th anniversary remake. Hopefully the save files survived the last format as did the installation.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Settlers 2 Gold is the best. I tried the 10th anniversary and, while it was good, they took out some stuff I don't think they should've. Beyond that, 3 is okay, the artstyle is horrid but the game is okay. Never played any after that.

zeitgeist

Magister
Definitely Settlers 2. Played everything except 7, the 10th anniversary was decent but felt off for some reason, can't remember why exactly. Didn't really hate 5 that much either (apart from the population limits), although it wasn't very Settlers-like.

Gerrard

Arcane
2 was the best. 6 had nothing in common with The Settlers except for the title. 7 is reinventing the wheel. Fuck Ubisoft.

After Settlers 2, the Cultures games (which pretty much are a spiritual sequel) are better. And definitely look better than 3/4.

Also (ignore the image, it's actually from the original, not 2)

How do I get rid of this automatic embedding?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Settlers-Of-Catan.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom