Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is a Full Scale RPG?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Anyway, 22 months still isn't enough for ol' VD. That's action-RPG development time!
I said nothing about 22 months so why make sensational statements?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Anyway, 22 months still isn't enough for ol' VD. That's action-RPG development time!
I said nothing about 22 months so why make sensational statements?

Because you said three years.

Three years to make a quality, full-scale RPG. I can't say for sure what exactly Obsidian is aiming it, but I doubt that it's a full-scale RPG. BG exploration, IWD combat, PST depth, iirc. Obsidian tends to play it safe (see that Backspace game's details - Mass Effect meets Borderlands! or the PE pitch) and doesn't have Troika's almost religious zeal (can't blame them either), so what would you do if you had a limited budget, limited time (because you have a limited budget), and a game aimed at the IE games' fans?

I would make Icewind Dale Expanded - a combat-centric game with more exploration and more text/dialogues. Take ToEE, for example. It was a combat game, yet there was a truckload of dialogues, non-linearity, choices and consequences, double- and triple-crossing, etc. Then 22-25 months might be enough to make a quality game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Three years to make a quality, full-scale RPG. I can't say for sure what exactly Obsidian is aiming it, but I doubt that it's a full-scale RPG. BG exploration, IWD combat, PST depth, iirc. Obsidian tends to play it safe (see that Backspace game's details - Mass Effect meets Borderlands! or the PE pitch) and doesn't have Troika's almost religious zeal (can't blame them either), so what would you do if you had a limited budget, limited time (because you have a limited budget), and a game aimed at the IE games' fans?

I would make Icewind Dale Expanded - a combat-centric game with more exploration and more text/dialogues. Take ToEE, for example. It was a combat game, yet there was a truckload of dialogues, non-linearity, choices and consequences, double- and triple-crossing, etc. Then 22-25 months might be enough to make a quality game.

I don't understand what the difference is between a "full-scale RPG" and the "Icewind Dale Expanded" that you've described. In fact, I think you've just given yourself an easy escape hatch for when you're proven wrong.

"No, this is still not a full-scale RPG, it's just Icewind Dale Expanded!"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ever seen me praising BG or BG2 as quality RPGs?

Not really, but I wasn't aware you don't consider them "full-scale" either. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

In any case, while PE would be a great success even if it merely equaled those games, I'm fairly certain it will have more choices and consequences as well. Perhaps not as much as inXile's games, though.

I ought to ask Josh Sawyer just how C&C-centric PE is planned to be.

Rake

Arcane
If BG2 isn't a "full-scale RPG" for you (quality aside, that shit is subjective), then PE surely won't be a full RPG. Ziets said that BG2 combat/dialogue/exploration ratio is what they are aiming for, and even in kickstarter the pitch was basicaly BG2 with Torment's story and writting and IWD dungeons.
By your definition is any of the IE games "full-scale RPG"?

Vault Dweller

Developer

Not really, but I wasn't aware you don't consider them "full-scale" either. But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.
There is nothing full-scale about combat-heavy, linear as fuck RPGs with simplistic combat-driven quests: go there and kill some things, now go over there and kill more things. Your ability to influence things is non-existent.

I ought to ask Josh Sawyer just how C&C-centric PE is planned to be.
I'm pretty sure they said that it won't be the focus of the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There is nothing full-scale about combat-heavy, linear as fuck RPGs with simplistic combat-driven quests: go there and kill some things, now go over there and kill more things. Your ability to influence things is non-existent.

Yeah, yeah. In VD-land a tiny RPG like Fallout is "full-scale", while huge-ass 200 hour BG2 isn't.

Why can't you just realize that there are different types of RPGs, rather than defining one type as less "complete" than the other?

I don't believe so.

Vault Dweller

Developer

Yeah, yeah. In VD-land a tiny RPG like Fallout is "full-scale", while huge-ass 200 hour BG2 isn't.
You're confusing quality with quantity.

Vault Dweller

Developer

I don't believe so.
I can't find the quote now as it would require going through all the interviews, but here is what they said during the KS:

"Project Eternity's team is focusing on three core ideas that will capture the Infinity Engine experiences players loved so much:
  • Unique, beautiful, dynamic environments that encourage and reward exploration.
  • A story that is both personal and far-reaching, with believable characters and factions that create compelling dilemmas for players.
  • Fun and challenging tactical combat that can escalate in difficulty through the use of optional game modes."
This makes sense. Charming visuals, tactical combat, good story with good writing. Achievable goals. Branching plot and C&C would simply require too much time and may or may not be appreciated (if most people would play it only once).

Vault Dweller

Developer

"Full scale" is a quantitative term.
Oblivion and Skyrim must be full-scale RPGs then. Hundreds of hours of content!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I don't believe so.
I can't find the quote now as it would require going through all the interviews, but here is what they said during the KS:

"Project Eternity's team is focusing on three core ideas that will capture the Infinity Engine experiences players loved so much:
  • Unique, beautiful, dynamic environments that encourage and reward exploration.
  • A story that is both personal and far-reaching, with believable characters and factions that create compelling dilemmas for players.
  • Fun and challenging tactical combat that can escalate in difficulty through the use of optional game modes."
This makes sense. Charming visuals, tactical combat, good story with good writing. Achievable goals. Branching plot and C&C would simply require too much time and may or may not be appreciated (if most people would play it only once).

That's what the focus of the game is, but they didn't say C&C wouldn't also be a (perhaps smaller) focus. For Obsidian, a quality story inherently involves some degree of C&C.

"Reactivity" is a bigger buzzword for Wasteland 2 and Torment, of course.

Oblivion and Skyrim must be full-scale RPGs then. Hundreds of hours of content!

Yes, they are full-scale open world sandboxy RPGs. The first one is really bad, the second one less so.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Heh, I used to love BG, just like I used to love the Dragonlance books. I guess that's how I would phrase it, Baldur's Gate is the Dragonlance of RPG games. Trite and fluffy with a comic book understanding or morals and ethics. Hey Bioware, news flash, moral equivalence and ambiguity != moral complexity.

Most of it is ham handed trite story telling. "Look at the bigots burning the Drow at the stake! How unreasonable!" Never kind that the Drow murder EVERYONE and EVERYTHING since time began.

Dragon Age, "Look at the Templar persecuting the mages so heavily! What a bunch of Mage bigots!" Nevermind that every SINGLE time a Mage experiments with Blood Magic, dozens, nay hundreds, of innocent people get killed. OOPS!

Get off my lawn you dumb kids!

/cranky old man snarling off

Vault Dweller

Developer

I don't believe so.

That's what the focus of the game is, but they didn't say C&C wouldn't also be a (perhaps smaller) focus.
Yes, 'we're focusing on 3 core areas' means 'we're focusing on 3 core areas, but we're actually focusing on 4'

For Obsidian, a quality story inherently involves some degree of C&C.
What does 'some' mean? NWN2 and DS3 had *some* C&C, but nobody's praising it.

The first one is really bad, the second one less so.
Quite an endorsement. Buy Skyrim - it's not as bad as Oblivion!

Logic_error

Self-Ejected
In my honest opinion, both comic books and computer games should stick to hamfisted morality. At least for several years until more mature writers start appearing in these fields. This actually is an unreasonable expectation (the latter part) since they seem to be disappearing from hard literature.

Rake

Arcane
What does 'some' mean? NWN2 had *some* C&C, but nobody's praising it.
MotB was better on that department. Sure, it wasn't Fallout, but Obsidian never went down that road. Different style of game.
I remember that you praised both MotB and DA:O for their use of C&C. Weren't full-scale-RPGs? Wasn't Torment?
If you are happy with those 3 games i believe P:E will be at a similar level.
Why are you suddenly excpect Fallout/Arcanum ? They never promished that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Much better and I praised it in my review. However, it was an expansion and it was based on the existing engine/systems/assets. They could actually focus on C&C there.

Logic_error

Self-Ejected
Also, I would like to emphasize how *unfair* it is to directly compare Fallout with MoTB. Fallout is way older game. Which means that developers of new games learned nothing from its strengths or weaknesses.

Rake

Arcane
Also, I would like to emphasize how *unfair* it is to directly compare Fallout with MoTB. Fallout is way older game. Which means that developers of new games learned nothing from its strengths or weaknesses.
Troika did. See how well it served them. IT's not a matter of if devs learned from it. If the market won't support it...

The thing is heavy C&C are very time consuming to implement.
AoD development goes for years. Fallout 2 and Arcanum were bugged messes on release. Alpha Protocol had a hell of development and was supbar in every other aspect except C&C.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom