Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are the best/most perfect games

Cadmus

Arcane
I mean, what games do you consider practically perfect and as having achieved all they had set out to do? Where you felt you got the complete experience and while everything can be improved to infinity by adding and adding stuff and patches, which games you thought were just amazingly complete for what they were? I hope you understand.

Sorry but I couldn't find such a thread on here although I think there was some =/

My games from memory that imo are "perfect"

Incubation
Operation Flashpoint
Mafia
Hidden and Dangerous 2
Commandos 2
Lineage 2 C4/5
Max Payne 2
maybe Heroes IV

Maybe Fallout 1 and PS:T, probably not.
I also think Morrowind might fit but having tried to play it recently, it just bored the fuck out of me so I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm writing them because I have such a memory of them and most of them I haven't played for a long time, maybe I don't want to look at them with a critical eye and also I just spent so much time on them that no further replays are needed, dunno.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Well, let's see. In no particular order.

Thief: The Dark Project
Quake/Quakeworld
Ultima Underworld
System Shock 1/2
Fallout
Unreal
Gothic 2 with Night of the Raven
Doom
Operation Flashpoint
Silent Hill 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (even with just ZRP it's awesome)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (still need to mod it 'cause it looks shit vanilla)
Natural Selection (Half Life MP mod, spent more than 1,500 hours on it).

laclongquan

Arcane
It depend on genre.

A sim-trading, balance-sheet and stuff, plus some combat, is the best in Patrician 3. Port Royale 2 is just muckle it up.
:
A choice and consequence, rpg with some combat thrown in: Vampire Masquerades Bloodlines

Tactical, turnbased, squadbased, recruit-manager is the holy trinity of JA2, Fallout Tactics, then Silent Storm (Sentinels)
Tactical, turnbased, squadbased, with strategic layer but generic is prolly UFO Aftershock, and/or UFO ET. I vote on AS because I completed it, something cant be said for ET, or Aftershock, or Afterlight

A choice and consequence, rpg with great setting: Fallout New Vegas

A choice and consequence, turnbased rpg : Fallout 2

Renfri

Cipher
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Helbreath
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Halo 2 multiplayer, Legend of Zelda OOT and MM, Alpha Centauri, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Final Fantasy Tactics, Doom 2, Chaser and if I think of anything else I'll list it.

Eyeball

Arcane
I mean, what games do you consider practically perfect and as having achieved all they had set out to do? Where you felt you got the complete experience and while everything can be improved to infinity by adding and adding stuff and patches, which games you thought were just amazingly complete for what they were? I hope you understand.

Sorry but I couldn't find such a thread on here although I think there was some =/

My games from memory that imo are "perfect"

Incubation
Operation Flashpoint
Mafia
Hidden and Dangerous 2
Commandos 2
Lineage 2 C4/5
Max Payne 2
maybe Heroes IV

Maybe Fallout 1 and PS:T, probably not.
I also think Morrowind might fit but having tried to play it recently, it just bored the fuck out of me so I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm writing them because I have such a memory of them and most of them I haven't played for a long time, maybe I don't want to look at them with a critical eye and also I just spent so much time on them that no further replays are needed, dunno.
This is weird. Out of the games you listed:

Incubation is great, but is a bit too much like a puzzle game at times.
H&D2 is clunky in the extreme despite making an excellent attempt at commando warfare.
Max Payne 2 is insanely boring compared to MP1 and the story makes no sense in a non-ironic way.
HOMM4 is the WORST HOMM of the series and have few redeeming qualities.

Only near perfect game I can recall would be Mount&Blade and it most certainly is not perfect, it's just really, really good.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Where you felt you got the complete experience and while everything can be improved to infinity by adding and adding stuff and patches, which games you thought were just amazingly complete for what they were?

Mmm... imo nothing is above Super Metroid.

But since this is the Codex, that answer probably won't suffice. So I'll go with Fallout 1, Planescape: Torment and Jagged Alliance 2. More modern games somewhat below this tier might be Dark Souls and Warband, maybe.

Last edited:

Eyeball

Arcane
Guess it could be perfect, then. Did not care for that aspect, though, which just goes to show that "perfect" does not exist.

Silva

Arcane
I think it would be more interesting the other way around: What games are successful but didn't actually reached its apparent design goals ?

I will begin with Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. It's highly regarded by critics but 1) its shallow, incomplete and bugged as hell and 2) seeing the previews and developer diaries it seems they intended the game to be sooooo much more. The point 1) was retified somehow by mods and sequels but point 2 remains. Don't take me wrong, I'm a big Stalker fan (specially after Autumn Aurora and Misery1) but the vanilla game is definitely lacking.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'll take "achieved all they had set out to do" as the definition of "most perfect", and append "are fun to play" to that. In which case, here are some (but not all, of course):

Dark Heart of Uukrul
Chaos Strikes Back
Wizardry 4
Wizardry 7
Labyrinth of Touhou 1&2
Gothic 2: NotR
Dark Souls

Rake

Arcane
HoM&M 3
Sacrifice
JA2
BG2
King of Dragon Pass

EDIT: Age of Decadence :smug:

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

TIE Fighter: Collector's CD (the one that was still in DOS and had the iMUSE soundtrack)

There was no way that it could be possibly be better for the time it was released. I did get a lot of stack overflow issues when I first played it back in the 90s, but on modern systems, using DOSBOX, it works beautifully.

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Great, non-linear singleplayer campaign and some really good multiplayer for the time - lots of mods and maps, really good clan gaming on the old MSN Gaming Zone. The MP could very easily be hacked too, but that was part of the fun.

Unfortunately I can't name any RPGs because none of them are perfect. They usually have one or two issues - usually the combat. My favourite RPG, Morrowind, had awful combat and the engine was pretty unstable. I can say the same regarding stability for Fallout: New Vegas, and the same regarding combat for Torment and Fallout 1/2.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
The only RPG which i can say is perfect is Legend of Grimrock 1. Did exactly what it set out to do, was very focused and tight package, and the whole game kept me interested until the end, plus the final boss was THE best final boss ive played in a long time. I played the game twice, plus several fan made dungeons. Just a great dungeon crawl. And the main theme is just amazing.

Karellen

Arcane
"Achieved all they had set out to do" is kind of a vague standard, since it's hard to really tell exactly what developers meant to accomplish. In that regard I'd amend "perfect" to mean a game that has very few if any flaws and feels complete, coherent and well put together - nothing extra, nothing missing. Which means that I'm omitting games that I've enjoyed more than the ones I'm listing here, but which have such serious glaring issues that you couldn't really call them perfect.

LOOM
Prince of Persia
Resident Evil I
Dark Souls
Legend of Zelda: Awakening of Link
Chrono Trigger

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Some of my favorite single-player games of all time are probably these:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
Europa 1400: The Guild

None of them are perfect.

Trying to be objective, I'd say something along the lines of...
Civilization II, Age of Wonders II, Age of Empires II, and Super Mario Bros.
I don't particularly like any of them very much, but I can't really find any flaws.

Helbreath
Shit, man, the korean or whatever MMORPG? Damn, those were the days.
Highly flawed game though, and there were thousands of games like it. Legend of Mir and all those.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Planescape Torment is far from perfect: its combat feels out of place with the rest of the game and its stats setup is inconsistent.

Rainbow Six has inconsistent teammate AI that craps in your one-hour elaborated plan half the time.

Idem for Operation Flashpoint.

I think it will be difficult to find games that are perfect in all aspects. Perhaps those with more simple goals and narrow scopes. Half-Life 1 comes to mind here.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom