Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WH40k: Dawn of War

Surlent

Liturgist
Well I'm having a blast with this game and have to say it is way more balanced than Warcraf3:TFT will ever be (no matter how many times Blizzard is going to patch it).
The single player was quite straight forward, but had good Space marine feel in it.

But the multiplayer is where the game shines, it's fabulous.
Sorry Xemous you didn't like it, at least you got your money back. Maybe you just fought against noobies and won, that's all ?
To me the mechanics are okay. Troops are balanced enough, so you don't end up massing one or two unit types. You need to capture strategic points to get req, so you need to wander around the map and not turtle. Game isn't dictated by army commanders, unlike in Warcraft3 where you need to level up your hero and fight creeps (bots) and use overpowered skills to beat the enemy.

This game definitely needs expansion and maybe even a sequel few years later. New races are ofcourse a must.

And Imperial guard as race ? Lol, they are cannon fodder.
Not a force to be reckoned with.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Unless they get Commisars to lead them. Take a look at Epic: Armageddon and how the Imperial Guard and Space Marines, led by Commisar Yarik were able to beat back Warlord Ghazghkull of the Orks.

almondblight

Arcane
How does this game stack up against Myth? I've yet to play a RTS that's trumped it, but would like to.

Fez

Erudite
It is nothing like Myth really.

The single player story for DoW is no where near as good as Myth 1 or 2. The skirmish matches in DoW (the real meat of the game) are great fun. It doesn't have the variety of game modes for online matches as Myth 2, though what is in there is good. More game modes may appear in the future though, perhaps with an expansion or with mods.

The battle in the game is very different to Myth. While Myth battles could be swift and brutal, the DoW battles often drag on and give lots of time to send out reinforcements to groups in trouble. In Myth it was pure strategy and there was a lot to it, a good commander could win against superior troops using ambushes or manoeuvring — in DoW it is more to do with the build order for your base and rushing out to attackhard and aggressively. It compares best with Warcraft 3.

Both DoW and Myth are games I like, but they are very different. As someone who likes Myth a lot I can say I have not regretted buying DoW at all. The story for DoW may be weak (criminal when you consider the rich setting) but the skirmish is where it shines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom