Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 to have pretty portraits

Rpgsaurus Rex

Sure, and every post has to adhere to its original topic. Serious business.

Well if you liked box art and scorpitron, you can't dislike this. I think this looks great, as all the concept art from Wallin did. I just want mooooooooooooooooooooooooore. Maybe a sample soundtrack from Mark Morgan? :D

Kahlis

Cipher
I want to see the interface, though that'll probably be one of the last things we see. Actual 3D isometric RPGs are relatively few and far between, so I've never really seen one handle camera controls (*cough* AoD) and interface properly. Will it be something minimalist, or a nice oldschool "framed" interface with a panel along the side/bottom? Since virtually everybody's on widescreen now, I think it'd be cool if those made a comeback...

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Guys, look how much SOUL this image I just made has!

mmrbir.jpg

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

mmrbir.jpg

I think the Blue Square represents non-conformity. The Blue Square chooses not to be cyan or lime green like most people and as a result is a more enlightened soul. Notice how we can bear to look at his soothing color and not the other two? Their conformity sickens us and our eyes.

Truly a work of art.

Johannes

Arcane
I don't think anybody seriously asked for 4-bit colors for portraits or anything of the sort. Doesn't change the fact that the dude presented here looks boring.

Technology has changed, cool, but why must the art style be totally revamped also?

Kahlis

Cipher

mmrbir.jpg

I think the Blue Square represents non-conformity. The Blue Square chooses not to be cyan or lime green like most people and as a result is a more enlightened soul. Notice how we can bear to look at his soothing color and not the other two? Their conformity sickens us and our eyes.

Truly a work of art.

Moreover, note how the blue square does not return the viewer's gaze, but does not have its sight constrained within the confines of the composition either - it looks outward from the frame, perhaps connoting that is possesses a greater sense of self-awareness, and a comprehension that goes beyond the "breadth and ken" of the immediate moment that the cyan squares seem to so consentingly partake in. Indeed, the blue square almost possesses a sort of otherworldly intangibility to it - even more interesting perhaps is how it does not rest upon the green background as the cyan squares but rather resolves to rest atop one of the cyan squares.

The blue square is an order of magnitude more enlightened than the other squares, yet chooses to exist alongside them as a mentor and visionary rather than as an idle figure of the divine or supernatural. Perhaps in some way, his presence atop the cyan square implies that his high position is recognized and reciprocated by his lesser counterparts. The blue square is ordained not by a higher power, but by his common man, which lends him an air of wordly experience and relatability, like the Roman Republican politicians of old.

Classical concepts, but skewed by a certain honesty and humility you would only find during the Neoclassical period. There's a sort of earthly idyll to it, like a fairy tale. I think it's obvious that the artist clearly chose to model the squares in homage to 18th century French sculpture in the Rococo style.

Knowing this, Ion Prothon II is right.

Morkar Left

I don't think anybody seriously asked for 4-bit colors for portraits or anything of the sort. Doesn't change the fact that the dude presented here looks boring.

Technology has changed, cool, but why must the art style be totally revamped also?

Could you show some artwork you would prefer instead?

Kahlis

Cipher
There's actually some Russian Wasteland 2 fan-art thread on the forum that's been producing some really nice concept work. It has a more stylized, "frontier" look to it like a graphic novel whereas the artwork posted by Brian Fargo is your typical run-of-the-mill photorealistic digital painting. I like both, but anything they can do to drive the point home to Bio/Bethdrones that Wasteland 2 is not and does not want to be "Fallout 3 2" helps in my opinion.

Only going to hotlink one example, you can find the rest throughout the thread:
gunmaster.jpg

Kahlis

Cipher
I'm not impressed. I prefer the realistic approach over comicstyle.
People could debate about this forever, but the biggest concern I have for the game's art direction right now is how the Scorpitron has individual legs instead of tread wheels. I always liked the original because it looked more like a tank (or RC car, the scale is hard to derive from the portrait) than a scorpion.

scorpitron.gif

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The game was a lulzfest. If you remove that, I don't really see any differences with generic postapoc.

Of course pixelart isn't feasible. What I am asking is if there will be VISA-sign waving monks in the game?

The art shown thus far goes in a standard "serious" postapoc direction.

Morkar Left

You might prefer realism, but that kind of style is what makes Wasteland, well, Wasteland and not just another Fallout.

I see your point but where was Fallout not comicstyle?

People could debate about this forever, but the biggest concern I have for the game's art direction right now is how the Scorpitron has individual legs instead of tread wheels. I always liked the original because it looked more like a tank (or RC car, the scale is hard to derive from the portrait) than a scorpion.

That was known since the start of kickstarter and nobody was complaining, everybody wanted it and everybody was fapping to it and appreciated the shown artstyle.

And I disagree that Wasteland has to be comicstyle. The coverartwork from W1 looks completely different and the developers cosplay as well. Having lulzy pictures was just common for that era and not specific to Wasteland.

Kahlis

Cipher
Comicstyle is pretty broad. When I say I wouldn't mind a "graphic novel" look for Wasteland 2, I'm thinking more along the lines of Gabriel Knight 1 than Team Fortress 2.

Black

Arcane
There's actually some Russian Wasteland 2 fan-art thread on the forum that's been producing some really nice concept work. It has a more stylized, "frontier" look to it like a graphic novel whereas the artwork posted by Brian Fargo is your typical run-of-the-mill photorealistic digital painting. I like both, but anything they can do to drive the point home to Bio/Bethdrones that Wasteland 2 is not and does not want to be "Fallout 3 2" helps in my opinion.

Only going to hotlink one example, you can find the rest throughout the thread:
gunmaster.jpg
Yup, it's a bullet.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Ah, that totally makes you right then. And if some guys say they find EGA graphics more "interesting" (like PorkaMorka) then it means they whine and they are wrong.

Wasteland and not just another Fallout.

Just another Fallout? And what is another Fallout besides Fallout? You're not actually saying that Wasteland has a more defined style, are you?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
And what does that fan-art have to do with this

night-screamer.gif

or this

warbot.gif

Kahlis

Cipher
I think that's the thing. Wasteland 1 has a very over-the-top 70's/80's science fiction pulp feel to it. I find the official art (of WL2) impressive but in some ways it feels a little too somber. Even the new Scorpitron feels a little too realistic.

centron-deluxe.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom