Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

DramaticPopcorn

I've clocked 44 hrs in W2: DC, I am now in hollywood, stumbled upon the route that lets you join Matthias and his goons.

It's taken me 3 months to get here, no matter how hard I try I cannot stay interested in this game, how much longer till the end, men?

Last edited by a moderator:

orcinator

Liturgist
I've clocked 44 hrs in W2:DC, I am now in hollywood, stumbled upon the route that lets you join Matthias and his goons.

It's taken me 3 months to get here, no matter how hard I try I cannot stay interested in this game, how much longer till the end, men?

You still have to go to the God's Militia hq for the final radsuit upgrade and then you can get disappointed by the robot base.

Is the thing that animal whispered companions tend to explode spontaneously when not moving for about a minute a bug or a feature?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Vindication!

Sorry for the long delay, I'm happy to report that just heard back from the support team on this and they did discover a logic error in how the weapon stripping was implemented.

Basically, a shuffled list of outcomes is created during stripping based on your skill level. But someone erroneously added logic that changed the final entry in that list to always be junk; giving a significant bias to junk (over 50% in some cases). A fix has already been submitted and it should appear in the next patch.

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?p=170939#p170939

Took them 5 months to find this one, but at least they found it.

Last edited:

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Jesus Christ. I wish I could erase it from my list of steam games altogether. Everything about it reeks.
All you need to do is go to the Steam Support site, select the game, and click "I want to permanently remove this game from my account". :M

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm really enjoying this game so far. Funny, because I uninstalled it twice (right at the first control tower where you find the robot) and it's the only thing I've been playing these past two days. Incredibly addicting, and finding new and better weapons feels so good.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I'm really enjoying this game so far. Funny, because I uninstalled it twice (right at the first control tower where you find the robot) and it's the only thing I've been playing these past two days. Incredibly addicting, and finding new and better weapons feels so good.

I don't know, I like its combat system but ultimately the story always fails to catch me. I've started 2 parties until now, further I went is this base in Cali you access with an helicopter (or did the helicopter crashed here?). Anyway, I was asked to repair the fence around the base. LAst time I was asked to repair a fence, I was twelve it was in my oncle's farm and it was already boring. Not really the best way to convince me I'm in the middle of an epic adventure. After repairing the electricity in Highpool, the radio tower I don't remember where and the kitchen sink in Damonta, I realise I should have rolled a plumber. I don't want to play 20 hours more just to realise the flashbulbs in the robot base just needs to be changed. Disapointed !

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

I don't know, I like its combat system but ultimately the story always fails to catch me. I've started 2 parties until now, further I went is this base in Cali you access with an helicopter (or did the helicopter crashed here?). Anyway, I was asked to repair the fence around the base. LAst time I was asked to repair a fence, I was twelve it was in my oncle's farm and it was already boring. Not really the best way to convince me I'm in the middle of an epic adventure. After repairing the electricity in Highpool, the radio tower I don't remember where and the kitchen sink in Damonta, I realise I should have rolled a plumber. I don't want to play 20 hours more just to realise the flashbulbs in the robot base just needs to be changed. Disapointed !

That comment you quoted was a week ago... and yes, my perspective has changed a lot since there.

1) Saying every quest is the same would be a lie. But every quest feels exactly as boring as the last one. "Find my cattle", "find my friend", "protect us from X", "recover Y", and so on.
2) The game's choice and consequence feels really forced as well. The worst offender is naturally the Save Highpool/Save Ag Center quest, but afterwards it feels like it's more of a "who do you side with" instead of a "how do you approach the quest" thing. Even if I know that is not completely true (since I've seen many extra dialogue options thanks to Slick's Smart Ass and Kick Ass skills), it feels like it.
3) Battles are boring, and you end up fighting the same enemies all the time. I know, technically, you fight the same enemies all the times in many games. But Wasteland 2's combat is so... boring and predictable every battle feels exactly the same. I haven't had one single memorable battle so far. I reckon I will be playing this again some time in a harder difficulty (currently on Seasoned).
4) My favorite locations so far have been one random encounter under the rain at night, and Damonta if only because of the dozens of infected persons approaching me in slow mo. Other than that, nothing memorable either.

That the game is party-based as opposed to single unit makes it far less interesting as well. My party can pretty much handle every safecracking/explosives/repair/computer/alarm/brute force scenario. So while in Fallout I may say "fuck, I can't do that, I'll catch you on my next playthrough" that isn't really happening on Wasteland.

At this point I'm pretty much playing it to finish it, even though I've already read the (awful) plot.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've clocked 44 hrs in W2: DC, I am now in hollywood, stumbled upon the route that lets you join Matthias and his goons.

Got further than me. It's so, so boring. I only get past AG Center or that other city before I just can't do it anymore. Yeah, I'm not a fan of slow torture.

agris

Arcane
Patron
That comment you quoted was a week ago... and yes, my perspective has changed a lot since there.

1) Saying every quest is the same would be a lie. But every quest feels exactly as boring as the last one. "Find my cattle", "find my friend", "protect us from X", "recover Y", and so on.
2) The game's choice and consequence feels really forced as well. The worst offender is naturally the Save Highpool/Save Ag Center quest, but afterwards it feels like it's more of a "who do you side with" instead of a "how do you approach the quest" thing. Even if I know that is not completely true (since I've seen many extra dialogue options thanks to Slick's Smart Ass and Kick Ass skills), it feels like it.
3) Battles are boring, and you end up fighting the same enemies all the time. I know, technically, you fight the same enemies all the times in many games. But Wasteland 2's combat is so... boring and predictable every battle feels exactly the same. I haven't had one single memorable battle so far. I reckon I will be playing this again some time in a harder difficulty (currently on Seasoned).
4) My favorite locations so far have been one random encounter under the rain at night, and Damonta if only because of the dozens of infected persons approaching me in slow mo. Other than that, nothing memorable either.

That the game is party-based as opposed to single unit makes it far less interesting as well. My party can pretty much handle every safecracking/explosives/repair/computer/alarm/brute force scenario. So while in Fallout I may say "fuck, I can't do that, I'll catch you on my next playthrough" that isn't really happening on Wasteland.

At this point I'm pretty much playing it to finish it, even though I've already read the (awful) plot.

When WL2 was first released, I remember a lot of people complaining that it felt like someone made a checklist of what an RPG must have, and that's how WL2 was developed. Paint-by-numbers applied to a party-based RPG. It's really a shame. I also have uninstalled it twice, barely able to get past the intro AgCenter/High-pool maps. How the hell MCA designed something like the AgCenter still baffles me.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
When WL2 was first released, I remember a lot of people complaining that it felt like someone made a checklist of what an RPG must have, and that's how WL2 was developed. Paint-by-numbers applied to a party-based RPG. It's really a shame. I also have uninstalled it twice, barely able to get past the intro AgCenter/High-pool maps. How the hell MCA designed something like the AgCenter still baffles me.

I think it doesn't help that the game's setting isn't that interesting either. Or that the in-game NPCs don't care about flavouring the game's plot either.

Compare "a bunch of robots went crazy and tried to destroy the world" to "the Master tried to perfect the human race through the FEV virus" and it's a lot of difference. Plus "guy who must learn the ropes of the post apocalyptic world" sounds much better than "bunch of post-apocalyptic cops taking care of the wasteland".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Compare "a bunch of robots went crazy and tried to destroy the world"

That's an oversimplification. Cochise was ultimately trying to protect itself. That's not crazy, it's super-logical.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
That's an oversimplification. Cochise was ultimately trying to protect itself. That's not crazy, it's super-logical.

That's the problem: not my words, the game's. It simplifies Wasteland 1's plot so much it sounds stupid and silly.

It's even worse when you hear them from the man (Vargas) himself.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's the problem: not my words, the game's. It simplifies Wasteland 1's plot so much it sounds stupid and silly.

It's even worse when you hear them from the man (Vargas) himself.

Vargas is a simple man, of course he'd explain it in simple terms. Cochise is far more erudite, especially when you get to the likely-Avellone penned part where you get to define your motivation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom