Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Wasteland 2 RPG Codex Interview with Brian Fargo - Part 1

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you buy it digitally, a non-DRM version will be made available to you, and/or you can activate it on Steam. The game will be distributed on Steam, but it'll be distributed without Steam as well. The box version will have no DRM.

At least, this is as it was pitched in the version I read. It might change, but I doubt it.

I'm curious Brother None, who are you, or who are you working with that you know so much about the Wasteland 2 project? Are you from inXile perhaps, or a friend of Brian Fargo?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm curious Brother None, who are you, or who are you working with that you know so much about the Wasteland 2 project? Are you from inXile perhaps, or a friend of Brian Fargo?

You don't know who I am?! But I am internet famous! :( :( :(

To actually answer the question: I'm admin over at No Mutant Allowed, and editor over at GameBanshee. One of the first things Fargo did while prepping for Wasteland was get in touch with No Mutants Allowed, to get us involved on the project, as a sounding board and to ensure they're on the right track. He shared the Kickstarter proposal and tiers with me to get some ideas/suggestions.

curry

Arcane
Fargo should get in touch with me instead. I know how this stuff works and I have an impeccable taste for game design and elegance.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

To actually answer the question: I'm admin over at No Mutant Allowed, and editor over at GameBanshee. One of the first things Fargo did while prepping for Wasteland was get in touch with No Mutants Allowed, to get us involved on the project, as a sounding board and to ensure they're on the right track. He shared the Kickstarter proposal and tiers with me to get some ideas/suggestions.

Yeah, well you'd better get rid of my 2 strikes I have at NMA just for defending Fallout's honor in the wake of a glut of F3 faggots. I wrote to complain about that and nothing was ever done.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I thought it was standard procedure for all codexians to also register at NMA...have you people no respect for ancient traditions? (Although I have to admit NMA lost some of it's magic after Fallout 3 was released...)

One of the first things Fargo did while prepping for Wasteland was get in touch with No Mutants Allowed
A wise man knows that Glittering Gems of Hatred are gems nonetheless, it seems. :lol:

Morkar Left

My most important question so far is how the game gets distributed. Is Steam necessary or a constant internetconnection or limited activations?

If you buy it digitally, a non-DRM version will be made available to you, and/or you can activate it on Steam. The game will be distributed on Steam, but it'll be distributed without Steam as well. The box version will have no DRM.

At least, this is as it was pitched in the version I read. It might change, but I doubt it.

A project like this can't afford to have evil DRM, or anything else that might anger the type of people who fund Kickstarter projects. It would directly endanger the project's viability.

Most people don't consider Steam to be evil, though.

Heh, yeah. It's always surprising how people don't care about Steam, even though it's pretty invasive, internet required for activation DRM. There's worse, but there's definitely better too.

I know DF will be released on Steam digitally, though I dunno if that game's boxed version will be Steamworks.

Thanks for clarification. Even DRM free and a boxed copy? All things considered it's a sure bet that he gets my money, then.

curry

Arcane
Fargo should get in touch with me instead. I know how this stuff works and I have an impeccable taste for game design and elegance.

So you got the formula for implementing tasteful rape?

262wg34.gif

Grim Monk

Arcane
I keep hearing people repeating the term “Top Down”, but nobody has clarified what that actually means.

Does Fargo mean Wasteland 2 will have a Truly :obviously: Top Down” perspective, like the original:

Example: Wasteland
jsdBv.jpg

Example: Dreamweb
dreamweb3.jpg

Or is he really saying it will be “Isometric” like Fallout:

Example: Fallout
imgFallout-23.jpg

Example: Veil of Darkness
zCktR.jpg

Achilles

Arcane
I hope it's isometric. It won't stop me from buying the game if it's not, but isometric is much better.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Cool, I didn't know that. Unfortunately I rarely visit NMA or GameBanshee.

:salute:

Grim Monk

Arcane
Lets see now...

Wasteland Designers Checklist:
Ken St. Andre ()
Brian Fargo ()
Alan Pavlish ()
Michael A. Stackpole ()

:incline:

Looks like Fargo has indeed reassembled the core of the original team.
:bravo:

curry

Arcane
Wasteland 2 has to be the biggest troll project in years. Recruiting all those old devs with only the assumption that the Kickstarter money raising will be successful. :smug:

There will be some serious butthurt in the air if they decide it's not enough to develop the game :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom