Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #20: Attributes and Skills

I have a better name for it all:

Strength
Perception
Enchantingness
Sagacity
Haste
Usefulness
Luck

I know it's late @Brian_Fargo, but I will accept a position as wasteland lead designer. I could do this in just a couple minutes, imagine what I could do in 8 months.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
CLASSIC almost seems too cute, but I voted for it because coordination is a better name for expertise.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Power of the Crowd! :kfc:

The only problem with this is that traditionally Strength is always the first stat in the list.

hiver

Retardedness
Plausability
Gayness
Cohoness
Obesity
Delusionism - Denial(ism)
Empathy (obligatory dump stat)
Xenophobia

St. Toxic

Arcane
I'm putting my points in Retardedness and Cohoness. Plausibility seems like a real dump-stat, and I'm sure there's ways of leveling up Obesity and Delusionism.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Given that for melee options, you still had to close the distance between the party (or individual combatant) and the enemy in the original WL, what is the significant difference that renders melee weapons usable in the first, but pointless in WL2?
You have to close the distance, yes, but when it comes to attacking groups there's no need to actually move adjacent to the enemy and attack, then move to the next one once it's dead. You just attack the group and the game decides for you which enemy in the group you attack. There's a lot less movement action going on, when you're moving you're not attacking, one must consider if it's not simply easier to just attack from range rather than dance around.
Roguey is a believer in the magical concept of True Balance, and deeply wishes for RPG systems to be in a constant flux of balancing like MOBA and Starcraft :troll:
I believe in an ideal RPG achieving choice agony through all available options being interesting, fun, and distinct. Choosing between a good build and multiple bad, frustrating builds is boring. Likewise having to choose among options that play in a more-or-less identical manner. Right now I doubt I'd ever play Wasteland 2 a second time, if I even finish it at all.

hiver

I'm putting my points in Retardedness and Cohoness. Plausibility seems like a real dump-stat, and I'm sure there's ways of leveling up Obesity and Delusionism.
Yeah, kinda fits for some ego tripping as well as realistic :P codex stats.
I would go with Xenophobia, Cohoness, Plausability combo of course :P

But im especially pleased with gayness (props to Rads for suggestion of course) since this being codex - everyone would be at least a little bit gay :lol:
-shame there is no T for trolling...-
-but then everyone would spend points on it-
-so just as well-

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I believe in an ideal RPG achieving choice agony through all available options being interesting, fun, and distinct. Choosing between a good build and multiple bad, frustrating builds is boring. Likewise having to choose among options that play in a more-or-less identical manner. Right now I doubt I'd ever play Wasteland 2 a second time, if I even finish it at all.
What about a compromise where the developers make many distinct distinct fun builds to play, but don't take the time to squash all bad builds so there are plenty of them around too?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What about a compromise where the developers make many distinct distinct fun builds to play, but don't take the time to squash all bad builds so there are plenty of them around too?
The idea of wanting bad builds is strange to me, as if others actually get some bizarre sadomasochistic thrill from mastering obtuse systems or grinding through in the most inefficient ways just to say they did. I'd rather everything have strengths and weaknesses.

tuluse

Arcane
The idea of wanting bad builds is strange to me, as if others actually get some bizarre sadomasochistic thrill from mastering obtuse systems or grinding through in the most inefficient ways just to say they did. I'd rather everything have strengths and weaknesses.
I don't *want* bad builds, but it's seems a monumental task to make a character system with none in it. I'd rather they focus on adding more interesting builds than making sure every conceivable possibility is accounted for.

hiver

-shame there is no T for trolling...-

Looks like someone's been carrying bricks again. Obviously Trolling isn't a stat, it's a skill. :obviously:
cmonn you know it was a good bad/good cop work there we did.
and you know the kid needed it. i did him a favor.
better me over the forums then some pissed off worker stomping his face in one day.

by jove, of course. a skill. what ever was i thinking about...

w8FdJ.jpg

Temaperacl

Erudite
Given that for melee options, you still had to close the distance between the party (or individual combatant) and the enemy in the original WL, what is the significant difference that renders melee weapons usable in the first, but pointless in WL2?
You have to close the distance, yes, but when it comes to attacking groups there's no need to actually move adjacent to the enemy and attack, then move to the next one once it's dead. You just attack the group and the game decides for you which enemy in the group you attack. There's a lot less movement action going on, when you're moving you're not attacking, one must consider if it's not simply easier to just attack from range rather than dance around.
Fair enough - there would be more movement than before. It would depend on the game mechanics for if it renders melee useless or not - can we move and attack in the same turn or is it either one or the other? How widely spaced apart do the enemies tend to be, and how long does an engagement last between individuals? How much cover does there tend to be while we are moving (Time spent moving while under complete cover might prolong the combat, but it wouldn't fundamentally change the balance of the combat)?

If we are spending 50-70%+ of our turns just moving outside of cover, then it very well could render melee combat "useless". If, on the other hand, we are only spending 10%-20% of our overall actions moving, then it may be less effective than gun fighting (assuming the average damage dealt for a given time period is the same), but I don't know if it would be sufficient to call melee useless in that case - it would still be a valid playstyle for someone who prefered that.

In other words, I agree that it will add additional complications and factors inhibiting melee combat, but I haven't been convinced that it will inherently render it useless or not a reasonable playstyle.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Plus, if they keep their promise of ammo being hard to get melee weapons would be even more useful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom