Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Wasteland 2 Crowdsourcing Experiment

Apexeon

Arcane
I think I will make the 3D mesh from these concept pictures (I made one this morning).
I will release the 3D Models/mesh for free so people can jazz them up.

See I am really bad at texture work and work like a snail in that area.
A lot if not all my texture work is only good for 2D stuff. No way am I going to get any 3D engine art done that would be worth anything much.
3D engine art is all about the texture maps.

Apexeon

Arcane
Ok free dish mesh.
Someone see if you can make it look good (if you want too) and send a email here with a mesh wish list info@silkjade.com.

Contact me if you need all that legal mumbo jumbo signed off.
Yes I am bad at UV maps/next to useless at the door.

Free Dish mesh good luck rar rar.

Here she is in Vue (40 minute mesh job).
Vue can make **** look good :D. Love Vue makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Dish-1-Vue-A.jpg

EG

Nullified
What is wrong with the turret model?

Lexx said:
That turret looks like taken out of some comic game and the skull makes me think of Warhammer 40k, somehow. I don't think it fits well.

And, I mean, how does it load with a barrel so big? :troll:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The turret seems fine to me.

I think Wasteland 2 is going for a comic book look. I mean this is right from their style guide:

EG

Nullified

Lexx said:
That turret looks like taken out of some comic game and the skull makes me think of Warhammer 40k, somehow. I don't think it fits well.

Except that's what inXile asked for in their art style guide for the turret.

:( Retroactively retracting pledge through Codex statue drive...

First AoD wasn't fallout and now Wasteland isn't either. Woe, I is.

Stinger

Arcane
Because neither Fallout nor Wasteland never had slightly silly looking designs for their tech and creatures did they?

Pure gritty hardcore realism in those games.

Apexeon

Arcane
That turret looks WAY better than his satellite dish (texture wise).

No texture work was done on the dish.
Its a clean free model.

I only like the IE style or 2D pixel art (big reason why I am a indie then a 3D engine slave).

Don't like the cartoon style I am seeing for WL2.
But meh a game is more then its art.

EG

Nullified
Because neither Fallout nor Wasteland never had slightly silly looking designs for their tech and creatures did they?

Pure gritty hardcore realism in those games.

It is interesting when we both respond to one another in hyperbole, aye.

So, how about I try just stating my opinion: I find the proportions of the concept art fine -- I like parts of the design. Just tone down the barrel a small amount and give the pivot of the torso (the skirt and it s connection to the legs) foless of a "tinfoil" thinkness, and you could arrive at something both (just a bit) less cartoon-y and closer to the given concept art. I'd also like to see something done about the large void on each side of the "pivot" of the barrel. Right now, it looks oddly empty.

The caveat being, if the size of this model in-game is going to be rendered at or below the size of the human characters, it might look just fine, as is.

Clear-ish?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Wasteland 2 is looking fine so far, stop your god-damned whinging.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron

Now? What do you mean "now"? It never was Fallout.

EG

Nullified

Now? What do you mean "now"? It never was Fallout.

I believe I'm successfully trolling people, even though I went out of my way to explain that I was bullshitting. :oops:

almondblight

Arcane
Eh. You can do stylized and exaggerated graphics without going the whole Team Fortress 2/Starcraft 2 route. They obviously have talented artists on the team doing the character portraits; I hope they let them call the shots.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Lexx said:

Except that's exactly what inXile asked for in their art style guide for the turret.

unity-turret.jpg
Yep. I think the guy did a pretty good job and delivered almost a perfect match for the concept art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom