Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
But how are key sellers managing to sell European non region locked keys for 26 euros? Where are they getting these cheap keys?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
But how are key sellers managing to sell European non region locked keys for 26 euros? Where are they getting these cheap keys?
No idea. Are they really non region locked? They might be lying about it. Or buying them with stolen credit cards, which is a common tactic among key sellers.

Raapys

Arcane
They're actually rather helpful in my experience, if you have trouble with a key. They depend on a good reputation to get any business, so I guess that makes sense.

There are ways to circumvent the region lock though, ye? Not sure if it's possible anymore, but they used to offer registering the key in your account for you.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
No idea. Are they really non region locked? They might be lying about it. Or buying them with stolen credit cards, which is a common tactic among key sellers.

Or maybe these resellers are buying the keys in large quantities (bulk) therefore they can get the keys at a lower price that whatever the fuck Steam is asking officialy.

All the games I've bought in the last 2 years are from such sites and no account was blocked or anything else. No need for Russian keys activation either.

Steam price means better profit for Gabe and the developer but ... this doesn't mean you have to bullshit about it. If there was something illegal, these sites would be terminated on the spot.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Or maybe these resellers are buying the keys in large quantities (bulk) therefore they can get the keys at a lower price that whatever the fuck Steam is asking officialy.

All the games I've bought in the last 2 years are from such sites and no account was blocked or anything else. No need for Russian keys activation either.

Steam price means better profit for Gabe and the developer but ... this doesn't mean you have to bullshit about it. If there was something illegal, these sites would be terminated on the spot.
I don't know where you can buy "bulk keys". You don't send an email to Valve and ask for 10,000 copies of the game in key form and get a discount. It doesn't work that way. I can't think of any way to get cheaper game keys that aren't in violation of Steam's EULA. Any keys that are created go through the developer/publisher.

Getting web sites taken down can be difficult depending on where they are hosted. Some hosts simply ignore any legal requests, or the company moves their server somewhere else if they get takedown notices from their government. This is all pretty much invisible to the end user, who just sees a pretty-looking site with low prices.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Discount for bulk orders is the key word.

Brother None makes it sound like a shady business but in reality: Amazon, Green Man Gaming, Gamersgate, GetGamesGo, Impulse all are doing this shit and you cannot say they are illegal.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It's not illegal, you just sort of abuse a system that publishers voluntarily set up for dem poor Ruskis and other shitholers.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
sea's question still stands: what bulk? Who is selling in bulk? We're not. Valve's not.

Brother None makes it sound like a shady business but in reality: Amazon, Green Man Gaming, Gamersgate, GetGamesGo, Impulse all are doing this shit and you cannot say they are illegal.
All those sites work directly with the game's publisher and Valve, that's what makes them legitimate. That said, no one said anything about illegal, but "not illegal" is not the same as "not shady", and it doesn't make it any less detrimental to consumers on the long term.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Dunno about you guys but apart from Kickstarters/Crowd-funded stuff all of my purchased games over the past few years have been from dodgy key sites. I bought ME3 Russian version, Diablo 3, all sorts of shit for way less money than the AU steam version here.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, it's becoming really common, and publishers have started taking notice, hence my concern: expect them to become more paranoid and aggressive in counter-measures against this as time goes by. Hence why I feel it's really only shooting ourselves in the foot long-term to use them (though I can kind of sympathize for an Australian, those prices get pretty wild). I don't hold it against people who do, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah, it's becoming really common, and publishers have started taking notice, hence my concern: expect them to become more paranoid and aggressive in counter-measures against this as time goes by. Hence why I feel it's really only shooting ourselves in the foot long-term to use them (though I can kind of sympathize for an Australian, those prices get pretty wild). I don't hold it against people who do, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Well I've paid my fair share for your company's games :P

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
sea's question still stands: what bulk? Who is selling on bulk? We're not. Valve's not.

Please don't speak for Valve and the never-ending campaigns of discounts. And last I know, inXile don't actually publish in Europe therefore you have no idea what back channels are used by Deep Silver.

All those sites work directly with the game's publisher and Valve, that's what makes them legitimate. That said, no one said anything about illegal, but "not illegal" is not the same as "not shady", and it doesn't make it any less detrimental to consumers on the long term.

Nope. Is good for an informed consumer.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw, Brother None, I just checked some sites and some of them are selling a Steam preorder key for W2 standard edition for about 35 bucks. How's that possible? Have you released the standard edition for preorder in some countries?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Btw, Brother None, I just checked some sites and some of them are selling a Steam preorder key for W2 standard edition? How's that possible? Have you released the standard edition for preorder in some countries?

Even if you pay now, the key will be provided on release day. Or a couple of days after the actual release. This is one disadvantage of such sites.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

The publishers are not noticing shit, they are doing it. This is basically a dumping policy. Great for the consumers but toxic for the industry on long term.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Make up your mind on who is doing it toro. First Valve was selling in bulk, now it's publishers doing it themselves? I don't think you're quite as informed on this topic as you seem to believe you are, but at least you're passionate about it!

The only thing they can buy bulk are the boxed versions. So I guess you won't be able to buy a key for a game that is digital only,
Oh that's true, and Deep Silver's boxes do come with Steam keys, so I suppose you can do that via a retailer. Fair 'nough.

Well I've paid my fair share for your company's games :P
Like I said, I ain't judging. And thanks!

Btw, Brother None, I just checked some sites and some of them are selling a Steam preorder key for W2 standard edition for about 35 bucks. How's that possible? Have you released the standard edition for preorder in some countries?
There's no such thing as a Steam preorder key for WL2, quite literally, any key out there now is Early Access, but they might be selling the promise of a key at release. Or they're selling a bunch of keys that will get deactivated on release, but I hope for their buyers that that's not the case.

Last edited:

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Dunno about you guys but apart from Kickstarters/Crowd-funded stuff all of my purchased games over the past few years have been from dodgy key sites. I bought ME3 Russian version, Diablo 3, all sorts of shit for way less money than the AU steam version here.

I don't usually go to shady key sites but I definitely grab the game from GMG or Amazon with a fake address because I'm not paying $90 for a new game which is identical to the one sold in the US for $60. No GST/VAT on digital sales in Australia so that excuse doesn't fly here, just plain old Australia tax (and brick and mortar retailers demanding that games not be sold cheaper digitally).

I don't know why I draw the line at paying US prices but not russian ones though. My ethics are entirely arbitrary, it seems.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am waiting for the non deluxe versión (probable just the game, digital manual) to show up in gog for say $25 to $30 bucks and then it will be an instant purchase for me. The way things are looking I will buy it next week but begin playing it early next month so I will have a nice, mostly bug free and optimized experience.
Really looking forward to this!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Make up your mind on who is doing it toro. First Valve was selling in bulk, now it's publishers doing it themselves? I don't think you're quite as informed on this topic as you seem to believe you are, but at least you're passionate about it!

For the record: publishers are doing it. And Valve is more of a publisher than a developer and they actually did this with their own games: CS:GO, TF2 and L4D.

Anyway fuck this. Have you played the entire game?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

All they'll achieve is pushing people towards piracy the way paranoid and intrusive DRM did in recent years. When the piracy route is more convenient AND offers you a product with spyware/bloatware/authentication hassle removed, people will pick it over legal routes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brother None on the theme of Wasteland: https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8334&start=40#p117901

Brother None said:
I'm just one of the writers on Wasteland 2 (and a really, really minor one, most praise by far should go to Nathan Long), but I think this permeates a lot of the setting, or at least my interpretation of it, this kind of "dunno really" attitude, a focus on the basic human nature to misremember and misinterpret things. That's not exactly novel to a post-apocalyptic setting but it can lead to excellence if done with consistency, and I believe it was a strong element in WL1 with factions like the Guardians.

In WL2 you can see it not just in how people look back to history and interpret it with cults like the Servants of the Mushroom Cloud and God's Militia), but even in more recent events and the vastly different retellings and interpretations of the events in Highpool from Wasteland 1, and even the nascent legends forming about it, or of course the faction struggles of the Rail Nomads, their legend forming and something as simple as retelling an already existing Luddite legend (John Henry) into their own form. A lot of wrong-doings in the history of Wasteland's setting stem from people's inability or refusal to understand each other, from the minor (Bobby and his dog) to the major, and even in non-obvious ways (such as the fact that the Rangers let the inmates live, which we don't know exactly why they did, but it was a mistake probably based on a bad misread of the situation and the nature and intentions of the majority of the people in that prison).

I think that's what bugs Woolfe about this writeup which I can kind of get but it shouldn't be read as a historic document. Remember, in WL2 you can already find different and conflicting retellings of the events of WL1's main story even among different Rangers and in different lore piece. We kept that in very purposefully because that's how human memory works, and that same process is at work here. Maybe the 6 year timespan is to specific to mention, but who knows if it's even true, the intent of it was again more to indicate it was a long, grandscale conflict.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom