Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I live in the middle of the atlantic and theres excellent speed here, plus unlimited downloads.

Gord

Arcane
Has there been any reliable info how much it's going to cost on release?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has there been any reliable info how much it's going to cost on release?

I have no hard information, but I suspect it'll be $40. That seems to be the accepted price for "premium" niche RPGs - Blackguards, D:OS. (Remember that D:OS gave their alpha/beta to all backers so they weren't obligated to set a higher-than-usual price.)

Last edited:

jdinatale

Cipher
I just had a bit of a thought that I'm not sure has been brought up - Has anyone considered that perhaps Wasteland 2 is a guinea pig /trial run of sorts for ineXile? As in, they made Wasteland 2 first so that they could learn the ropes of the engine, and then use that experience and feedback to make what will hopefully be a truly worthy Planescape: Torment sequel?

Angthoron

Arcane
I just had a bit of a thought that I'm not sure has been brought up - Has anyone considered that perhaps Wasteland 2 is a guinea pig /trial run of sorts for ineXile? As in, they made Wasteland 2 first so that they could learn the ropes of the engine, and then use that experience and feedback to make what will hopefully be a truly worthy Planescape: Torment sequel?
Well, that could be the case, but that approach would only end up biting them in the ass. Mass consumers are not as likely to say "Oh, they've learned", rather, "Oh, another piece of failed crap that didn't fulfill any of my expectations". Considering it's "Fargo's dream" and all that jazz, they should really try to make it as good as possible rather than trial running.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I find that theory a bit botched considering InXile is over a decade old and had people like Fargo, MCA and other veterans working on W2...

Duraframe300

Arcane
I find that theory a bit botched considering InXile is over a decade old and had people like Fargo, MCA and other veterans working on W2...

It's great to have veterans, but none of those veterans invested anywhere near their 100% into the game due to production reasons alone.

I know I'm boringly repeating the same thing every time, but its still what I see as the major problem with InXile's approach to development. And why whatever we get with pillars will at least be more *compact*. PS:T will be kind of a mess in that direction as well. Though, I imagine a better one.

Rake

Arcane

It's great to have veterans, but none of those veterans invested anywhere near their 100% into the game due to production reasons alone.

I know I'm boringly repeating the same thing every time, but its still what I see as the major problem with InXile's approach to development. And why whatever we get with pillars will at least be more *compact*. PS:T will be kind of a mess in that direction as well. Though, I imagine a better one.
Why? Torment has Colin, Kevin and Adam, all three giving their 100%. Plus Ziets. It has the potential to be cohesive and compact unlike W2.

coffeetable

Savant
it might just be me, but i get the same kind of salesman vibe from fargo as i do from chris roberts and peter molyneux. grand ideas and great at bringing money in but they've got no damned idea about good software development

Duraframe300

Arcane

Why? Torment has Colin, Kevin and Adam, all three giving their 100%. Plus Ziets. It has the potential to be cohesive and compact unlike W2.

Kevin Yes. (Which is a big part in me beliving that Torment is going to be better among other things.)

Others. No. (Though, I admit I don't know about Ziets current situation)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The development cycle on Torment doesn't seem *too* different from what we've seen from PE and I'll bet that's largely due to Kevin Saunders. They're up to the equivalent of the PE Vertical Slice. The outsourced "designers" are like Obsidian's narrative designers. PE had George Ziets working remotely, but inXile has LOTS of people working remotely.

The problem with Wasteland 2 IMO is they did all of the paper design first before doing anything else. All the areas and dialogues were done on paper, probably even including most encounters. At this stage they had no idea how half of the systems were going to work, they probably designed a lot of the systems based around the content created in the area designs (No doubt the outlines were created first, but that's probably about it). The in house area designers then went along and implemented the content. They probably treated the paper designs as a "storyboard" for the level and implemented it as closely as possible to the paper design (veering off where necessary). The end result being that the areas were quite barren. That's just my guess anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't too far off. To me the culprit of this seems to be the process. The Paper Designers had no idea how the game systems were going to work, what it was going to look like and all that kind of stuff, so they were essentially designing blind. The in house designers implemented the paper content, but the damage has already been done, and the only thing they can really do now is add in bandaids over bulletholes.

This is the opposite of how Obsidian did it for PE. Sure they did lots of high level design and whatnot along side their engine pre-production. They worked on the main story "outside of the game" for a fair amount of time, but once Eric came onto the team full time he's no doubt had the luxury of being able to play the game and get a feel for how to present it, a luxury that the outsourced inXile designers won't have (bar Adam Heine). Obsidian then created the majority of the game's content once their pipelines and systems were locked down.

The way that Wasteland 2 was developed, the "paper design" style and stuff was probably something Brian Fargo himself laid out, Chris Keenan was the producer at one stage and now I think Montgomery Markland has his role once Chris Keenan moved up to Lead Designer. Aside from what I would call "not the best project management", it also seems to lack a clear vision.

Torment seems to have a clear vision and has an experienced Project Director. Hopefully they have recognized the internal issues Wasteland 2 has had in development and are not making the same mistakes again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PS:T, a mess? :o

We'll find out the specifics of how Wasteland 2 was developed when we do an interview after the game is released. My own personal theory is something along the lines of Sensuki's, but with the addition that it was planned that way due to budget concerns. Double Fine went over budget, inXile played it safe and went under budget.

But, we just don't know yet.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I hope they learned their lesson with WL2, and setup a proper development team for Torment, the extensive pre-production can help with laying out the game, but the execution is where it's at...

Essential things like UI design, zone design, encounter design and combat mechanics were/are all problematic for WL2, and unless inxile puts some serious weight behind improving these, Torment will suffer from much of the same.

I can see the cooperation with Obsidian bearing some fruits here, inxile will probably try to maintain a lot of the groundwork from PoE.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I hope they learned their lesson with WL2, and setup a proper development team for Torment, the extensive pre-production can help with laying out the game, but the execution is where it's at...

Essential things like UI design, zone design, encounter design and combat mechanics were/are all problematic for WL2, and unless inxile puts some serious weight behind improving these, Torment will suffer from much of the same.

On the contrary, preproduction is where it's at. The groundwork for all of these things (to varying degrees, UI for example might change until the very end of development) is meant to be determined during preproduction. Preproduction doesn't mean "on paper". It (also) means prototyping systems in a working slice of the game, like what George Ziets is currently doing with The Bloom in Torment.

What Sensuki and are I saying is that Wasteland 2's preproduction appears to have been insufficient for this purpose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom