Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warbands: Bushido

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Did anyone try this? The miniatures and the dice make it look interesting, but the trailer doesn't really convince me yet. Also **Trigger Warning** it's a PC and mobile title.

They had a failed / cancelled Kickstarter this year and are now on Steam Early Access http://store.steampowered.com/app/556820/ for $7.

Tabletop-like gameplay
Unique tabletop-like style of Warbands:Bushido not only recreates classic look and atmosphere of a best games in tabletop wargame and RPG genres, but also combines a legendary complexity and detalization of core rules with fluent and accessible gameplay.

Skirmish and tactics
Find your own tactics and warband setup, test it against other players, win tournaments and get rarest units, which presence on a battlefield will tell your opponent who they're dealing with. Best leaders will gather in high-level tournaments and find out are your guns or katanas are realy the deadliest weapons of Sengoku wars.

Campaigns and stories
Warbands will have quite a number of single-player campaigns, where war and political intrigue will take you through different parts of 16th century Japan, and introduce you to various characters. Spies, ninjas, proud samurais and common solders will become a heroes and villians for dozen stories, each 20-60 missions long. And you will need all your tactical skills to complete them, and get your rewards.

Controls and interface
New control system, will significantly speed up your turns and shorten waiting time for your opponent. You won’t need to infinitely tap your screen trying to select unit, define new route, confirm or cancel your orders. Instead of that you just touch and move your unit, almost as you move your miniatures in tabletop wargames.

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Cards are cancer.

Can someone pinpoint the date when the safe space cutefication of everything started in the Kwa? Github logo? Leddit? Ponies? Is it the estro plastic in the water?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had followed their Kickstarter, the game seemed interesting, but the stuff to unlock with in game money made me weary, given how little they talked about it (there will also be a shop where you can buy stuff with real money).
It depends on the rate at which you unlock stuff, so it is hard to tell at this point, but most Steam reviews are positive now.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I gave it a shot. The core mechanics didn't seem too bad to me, but it has indeed a F2P model (on top of a purchase cost), where you get ingame gold to purchase miniatures, campaign scenarios or cards (said gold can be substituted with real money).
As I was disappointed in each of my F2P tries, I gave up on the game, but it looked neat as a F2P one (despite not being F2P...).
If the rewards are reasonable, that might not be an issue, but there is no way to know during EA within the refund period.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I may have been too quick to judge them:
Originally posted by galdred:
But then, won't you provide way to purchase gold with real money?That's definitely a F2P feature. So not in any circumstances.)
That's definitely a F2P feature. So not in any circumstances.)
Time will tell. Now I wonder whether I should un-refund.
Anyway, as long as I can cheatengine it locally, it should be good.

ColCol

Arcane
Played it. It is pretty damn good. It is Only multiplayer now but it will soon have a singleplayer campaign. An average match is very short but still manages to be very tactically satisfying. It scratches an itch that Chaos reborn did before they messed it up by adding a bunch of garbage. The game only has two problems. First, The game isn't free to play but it does feel like it could be changed to that format at a moment's notice. Second, the theme is weak and the focus on deck/miniature building cries for a theme that has a greater visual appeal.

The battles could be described as short miniature-based skirmishes where your units/miniatures use special cards to ensure that any fight is not straight or fair as a straight/fair fight is often suicidal.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Actually, the collectible structure of the game irks me, as it screams for F2P. Granted, Deathwatch 40K was also collectible non F2P(on PC), but the game tanked, so it is not particularly reassuring.

ColCol

Arcane
Actually, the collectible structure of the game irks me, as it screams for F2P. Granted, Deathwatch 40K was also collectible non F2P(on PC), but the game tanked, so it is not particularly reassuring.

I kind of agree, although what resources the game has given me so far has been more than enough to stay competitive. Hell, half my team consists of two starting units. Either way, I already got my moneys worth for the game and I have not even started the campaign yet.

ColCol

Arcane
It is pretty grindy, though. Does it take as long to get new packs later on?

I don't know. I feel right now that with an hour of play that you will receive enough to get a two card packs or a pack of miniatures.This may change as I level up during future game play. I also feel that the gold reward system has not been fully implemented as of yet.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

I don't know. I feel right now that with an hour of play that you will receive enough to get a two card packs or a pack of miniatures.This may change as I level up during future game play. I also feel that the gold reward system has not been fully implemented as of yet.
But it is more or less what I get in Duelyst, without the ability to craft whatever I want with recycled cards, or to pay to speed up the beginning.

ColCol

Arcane

But it is more or less what I get in Duelyst, without the ability to craft whatever I want with recycled cards, or to pay to speed up the beginning.

This game will eventually have crafting. Regardles, you're right, this game mostly fills the same niche as Dueleyst .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom