Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vtm Bloodlines for the first time

laclongquan

Arcane
In my personal arsenal, I consider the katana as the best melee weapon. Then the fire axe. I notice you say I am wrong yet offer no listing of your own.

My god, do you at least have the ball to say you are a wesp fanbois out to ruin my reputation, such as it was, or do I have to spell it out in excruiating detail?

madrigal

Augur
In my personal arsenal, I consider the katana as the best melee weapon. Then the fire axe. I notice you say I am wrong yet offer no listing of your own.

So you consider the katana better than the Tal'mahe'Ra Blade even though it is pretty much the same but swings twice as fast. You really are stupid.

laclongquan

Arcane
I actually dont remember whateveritsname blade is. make no impression on me. I do remember sail through one or two runs' final battle with katana.

As for who being stupid, these exchanges should show clearly.

Man, and I thought I was a rabid Bloodlines fan. All this drama over what the author calls his mod/patch... who gives a shit? If this is all about staying true to some ideal Troika released (as opposed to a buggy and rushed game they really did release), well it's not like Tessera didn't add stuff of his own (restoring or writing additional dialogue lines) or changed things (restoring and changing histories, adjusting weapon damage and lots of little things, many of which make sense). And that's just things from one patch notes I could be bothered to find. So get off your high horse already Tessera (and put on some clothes for fuck sake).

Oh, and the fire axe is the fifth best melee weapon in vanilla, right? Bush hook, Tal'Mahe'Ra (I think it's bugged in vanilla - no surprise there), katana, sledgehammer, axe. It can be purchased in the second hub from Fat Larry. I always liked that guy, great and funny NPC. One of these days I'm going to reinstall this game.

madrigal

Augur
I actually dont remember whateveritsname blade is. make no impression on me. I do remember sail through one or two runs' final battle with katana.

Clearly, maybe the person who has a lack of knowledge about the game he is criticising and insulting a patch that does not even do what they say it does and even if it did the reason given is so stupid given how easy bloodlines is overall. Further the reasons used to justify the wrong assumption about item placement are clearly wrong and when these mistakes are brought up they go on a tangent rant about fanbois and other such nonsense.

Sykar

Arcane
No no, Tessera's patch is the one with no additional content (unless you count nude bodies extras but that stand separate). That's why he stopped waaaaaay earlier, around v4. Nothing left to fix.

Wesp's mod is the content restoration mod. He restored cut content, fill out what's not, and in so doing introduce fuckload of bugs. THAT is why he cant stop fixing. His patches, now v9~, are just fixing what he mess up.

So much this. Wesp and everyone who thinks his "basic patch" does not mutilate Troika's original vision is a retard. Yes, a strong statement but completely justified. Because Wesp and these people have no fucking clue how games, movies, books, and plays are made. What Wesp calls "restoration" is mutilation of a work of art.

Imagine Wesp "fixing" a book. He would take the original handwritten manuscript and put back in all the parts the original author had struck out. Where these parts are unfinished he would "complete" them himself. If you do not understand how retarded that would be you are a fucktard.

Imagine Wesp "fixing" a movie. He would take the raw film material e.g. 6 hours of film being cut to a 2 hour movie is not unusual and "restore" those other 4 hours of film material the original creators decided to cut. If you do not understand how retarded that would be you are a fucktard.

Unfortunately Wesp is actually "fixing" a game. Any unused (i.e. cut!) asset (dialog, graphic, script) he finds in the game's data files he "restores". If you do not understand how retarded that is you are a fucktard.

Wesp does not understand how art is made, cutting is a vital part of the creative process, instead of doing "restorations" you might as well just piss all over a piece of art. Stuff he "restored" was cut for a reason, in most cases it is obvious why, but Wesp is a fucktard with no sense of .. anything, so he does not even realize that. E.g. he "restored" a Love Parade-style raver chick and put her into the Asylum club.. fucktard has obviously never left his basement to think that she fits in there. Really she sticks out like a sore thumb in that club (or anywhere in the game world for that matter!). I guess that is why Troika decided to remove her - fucktard!

Or what he did with the pedestrians. Troika decided to give every area its own set of pedestrians, this is part of what creates the unique atmosphere of each area. The pedestrians are basically set pieces. Then comes powertard Wesp and decides he wants "more diversity" one the streets and wildly mixes up pedestrians from all areas. Yes, every area having its own limited set of pedestrians is one of those things Wesp "fixed". Or at least he did at some point. He often reverts his own "fixes" in subsequent patches. Really.. I cannot even comprehend such utter fucktardness.

And yes details like that matter. Bloodlines does not have great game mechanics, the atmosphere, the writing, the characters are what is great about it. And Wesp's patch degrades that atmosphere with his fucktardations. Not totally of course, most of the game is still intact, but if someone painted a tiny butterfly tattoo on the cheek of Mona Lisa one would not be amused either.

Sorry, but Bloodlines is not only one of my favorite games but also one of the best examples of "video games as art", and Wesp mutilating this piece of art and most people ending up playing his fucked up version instead of the original is something I feel strongly about.

If Wesp would correctly label his work, namely call it "Wesp's Mod" then I would have no problem with it and wouldn't call him a fucking fucktard. But as long as he tries to sell his mutilation of VTM:B as a "bugfix patch" I will keep calling him what he is: a fucktard.

Tl;dr: Wesp is a fuckard and his "patch" a crime against Bloodlines.

The analogy of comparing cutting content in film with cutting content in games is not really valid. The main reason you cut film is due to the fact that most people won't watch a movie much longer than 2 hours. Games on the other hand especially cRPGS routinely sport lengths of 30+ hours so length per se is not the problem in games. Cutting content in games is in most cases merely a desperate measure to avoid prolonged development time, not necessarily because the developer did not want that extra content. I am fairly certain that Troika did cut mostly due to lack of time.

I do agree though that Wesp should call his mod a mod and not a patch since even the so called basic patch adds and changes too much to just call it a patch.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane

Clearly, maybe the person who has a lack of knowledge about the game he is criticising and insulting a patch that does not even do what they say it does and even if it did the reason given is so stupid given how easy bloodlines is overall. Further the reasons used to justify the wrong assumption about item placement are clearly wrong and when these mistakes are brought up they go on a tangent rant about fanbois and other such nonsense.

Generalized accusations again?

Wesp did change the placement and put the fireaxe at the ghost hotels. Fireaxe is second chapter's weapon, very much stronger than 1st town's melee weapons,this is undeniable.

Now, whether fireaxe is second best melee weapon in the game is somewhat subjective topic. Technical details argue that it is not, maybe, I dont want to bother comparing everything so I can take your words for it. But it's an objective fact is that fire axe is a second chapter;s weapon, and the most expensive melee weapon in Fat Larry's inventory IIRC. The other weapons you must find during the course of quests, but fireaxe you must pay for it. And Wesp gave you for free at the start of the game so you dont have to scrimp and scrape up money for it.

Generousity or not it breaks the balance.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
So what does the Clan Quest mod exactly do and why so many people dislike it? I've never tried it myself and I'm thinkng about playing VtMB again, this time as a Malk.

Unbeliever

Learned
Need some advice about You Only Die Once A Night quest.

Is it possible to defend a cemetery gates just with fire axe, with no use of ranged weapon? Are there some tricks for this damn quest? I'm not in FPS games, so I got my ranged feat just to 5. Have melee at 7. My vamp is Brujah, have celerity on 2 and always use it in last three minutes, but zombies are still winning. Last sixty seconds is killing.

Andnjord

Arcane
Need some advice about You Only Die Once A Night quest.

Is it possible to defend a cemetery gates just with fire axe, with no use of ranged weapon? Are there some tricks for this damn quest? I'm not in FPS games, so I got my ranged feat just to 5. Have melee at 7. My vamp is Brujah, have celerity on 2 and always use it in last three minutes, but zombies are still winning. Last sixty seconds is killing.
Time for you to reroll as a :obviously: Tremere and enjoy those mass kill spells.:troll:.

I did it fine with a Katana and Celerity on a character more disposed to utility skills than combat skills (first playthrough, before I discovered It's Totally Impossible to Avoid Combat in VTM:B); although it did take me a few tries you should be fine with a fire axe and 7 melee skills.

EDIT: Actually, do spells like Mass Suicide and Blood Boil affect zombies at all?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I'm not sure celerity at 2 will suffice, these gates open pretty easily. I've managed to defend it either with a Brujah with celerity at 5 or with some other clan that had firearms maxed. You can always bring Romero a hooker though.

Unbeliever

Learned
No, now it is question of doing a quest or doing my comp with a fist.

And Romero is fucking Dilan Dog/Delamorte Delamore. To much respect to buy him a hooker. :troll:

Andnjord

Arcane
I'm not sure celerity at 2 will suffice, these gates open pretty easily. I've managed to defend it either with a Brujah with celerity at 5 or with some other clan that had firearms maxed. You can always bring Romero a hooker though.
Ha, I might have had more than Celerity 2, that's a possibility.

No, now it is question of doing a quest or doing my comp with a fist.

Hey, this a cRPG so you can always come back later with Celerity 5 and destroy all the zombies!

Unbeliever

Learned
:yeah:

Finally.

Well, I was good so far, but definitely must add point or two in celerity. Great game, to bad for really crappy combat.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
wat?
Brujah is awesome for combat. Using guns in this game sucks though and i remember that even with 5 celerity it was nigh impossible to stop the invasion of zombies. Some other class may have been better at that one quest. Otherwise with maxed out celerity and blood boil (or what was the ''i be stronk'' skill called?) they mow down anything, including bosses with ease.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The combat isn't really bad. On my first playthrough as a talky/academic Tremere which is probably the worst combat choice some levels were actually p. scary like the ones with all the fleshcrafted monsters.

Then, on my second playthrough as a full combat Brujah I was already an one-man congoid apocalypse by the time I got to hollywood, the contrast was actually p. fun to witness. Felt good just rushing in giving absolutely no shit about those meatballs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom