Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Victor Vran

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
cc93e66fc156653c508b62c3d66e589d80292aab.jpg

I swear, I always see this exact same promo screenshot for every hack'n'slash out there. Every single one.

Renevent

Cipher
Very nice surprise this game. It kicks Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 ass.

I like mechanics like dodging and jumping. Fighting is very smooth and fun. It's meant to be played with a controller, I don't think I could manage it with keyboard & mouse.

Very well presented. Story of course is non existent, but there are a few nice touches as the other narrator (The Voice) comments on your actions, even if change your mind and do another thing than pushing forward.

But the game has a major flaw: It's too easy. I played for about 3 hours and killed the first major boss without dying even once. If you want to die a bit, don't select the 1st option when starting and go with the difficult setting.

Maybe it's the best game Douge Cockle has voiced. :troll:

Have you turned on any of the hex cards yet?

ArchAngel

Arcane
It would seem the freezing I talked about earlier is caused by using M&K control scheme. They said they will hotfix it. I guess I can connect my xbox360 controller and play with that from now on.

Pretty cool game, outside of being too easy so far. The PC sounds like the english dub of Geralt, is he played by the same actor?

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It definitely looks like many dev teams out there dream of making an RPG (well, usually an ARPG) and only create other games to gather experience/funds for that.
I can definitely sympathize, as I would love to make an RPG myself (lack of necesary skills and laziness are big obstacles, though).

I actually know some folks on the dev team (they're Bulgarian). Bros try real hard, cut 'em slack. Also, Tropico is fun.

Last edited:

Villagkouras

Arcane
Have you turned on any of the hex cards yet?

So, I activated some hexes, in some circumstances I had 3 out of 5 hexes on. Haven't died yet, I'm in the second major map. And I'm not a good player, I remember dying a lot in Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3. The game is too easy, but it's really fun.

It could have a bit more variety of enemies, though...

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've been playing it a bit, lv 17 right now. Its pretty fun, I bought it on impulse cause it look like Van Helsing that I also liked. Was pretty lulzy when I heard Geralt in the intro. "we, the demon hunters.." lel

At start the game gives you 3 choices of controlling it, WASD+mouse, controller or mouse only ala PC ARPGs. I tried playing Van Helsing with the controller once and it sucked so I opted for the mouse only config.
Works good so far, jump with space and you dodge by pressing D+mouse direction.

Weapon choices are fun, and it forced me to change it up a bit from time to time. Some of the map challenges require you to activate the hexes to complete them and it can get pretty rough.
One of the nice fights I had was the end fight vs elementals where you shoot one and 3 more spawn with the increased movement for enemies hex activated. There were like a 100 of em at the end bombarding you with rocks.
Couldnt to shit with the shotgun or melee so I switched to electricity gun that does some nice AoE damage with its extra abilities.
Since i got the hexes I got the last one always activated, it makes some weaker enemies into champion versions that also get extra abilities.
Hex that make em harder to kill is just pure bullshit, tho.

So, ye I like it. Its not really a RPG, leveling up doesnt really give you anything to customize, no char sheet or skill trees, its more of a fun action romp with some nice touches like Destiny cards, challenges, etc.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
To be honest I think the thread should be moved to GG. I gave it a short go yesterday after buying it and it seemed like a fun little action game, but the RPG elements are really minor.

Are the people complaining about the difficulty level playing on normal or hard? Atleast after the tutorial it seemed alright on hard, had to dodge hits 'n shit a lot. No health regeneration either. I've heard the game doesn't have any kind of death penalties though, which is a real bummer.

Hoping I'll get some co-op action going on later today, seemed like a great game for that sort of thing.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lv 19 now, almost 6 h play time.
While derping around and beating several bosses giving me some cards and green items game randomly gave me first 2 legendary items like 30 sec apart from some random dudes. Lel

Also if you didnt watch TB Wtf is.. disable AA, it will triple your framerate.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Lv 19 now, almost 6 h play time.
While derping around and beating several bosses giving me some cards and green items game randomly gave me first 2 legendary items like 30 sec apart from some random dudes. Lel

Also if you didnt watch TB Wtf is.. disable AA, it will triple your framerate.
That is a nice tip, I need to try that :)

Shadenuat

Arcane
Not to shabby of a rogue, although they could have done even more with jumping and dodging. Rapier with life leech feels a bit op. Like the music.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think they should be compared as there aren't much similarities other than both having a vampire hunter as the protagonist. Victor Vran is a lot more action focused with very little RPG elements. Still, I'd say I'm enjoying Victor more than I did Van Helsing so far, after about 3 hours of game time.

Villagkouras

Arcane
So, I finished the game in about 14 hours, doing most of the optional stuff.

It's nice that is doesn't drag too much as most games of the genre do, especially in late game. But they could wait to introduce some weapon abilities or even dodging (as it is too easy until mid game) later to keep things fresh. RPG stuff are minor, it's pure action game, but a solid one.

After the main campaign there are some eilite challenges in each area, but I didn't bother checking them.

Solid 7/10, not in IGN kind of way that means that the game sucks. It's nice, good for casual summer gaming sessions.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I got bored through 2/3 of the game and went to play Path of Exile instead.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
WTF :lol: Official Motörhead expansion!

sRMHsmE.jpg

mH4oqxC.jpg

http://www.pcgamesn.com/victor-vran...rty-with-mot-rhead-through-the-ages-expansion

Motörhead crash Victor Vran’s party with Motörhead through the Ages expansion

Well this is new… we’re getting a Motörhead game. As in the rock band headed up by that Lemmy chap who sings Ace of Spades. Yeah, that Motörhead. It’s also an expansion pack to the recently released ARPG Victor Vran. Confused? Let us expand a little.

Motörhead through The Ages is entirely new storyline expansion, with new enemies, weapons and rock-themed skills. It will be entirely Motörhead themed and the established “Victor Vran” universe will be extended with new adventures to experience and bosses to fight.

The new environments will comprise of war-torn landscapes and cities, Wild-West-inspired landscapes and the Dark Ages Castle where the Queen of the Damned resides. They’re all heavily inspired by and based on Motörhead`s history, lyrics and attitude.

The announcement statement says “Motörhead define the themes of the game as Victor faces evils relevant to our own world – religious fanatics, corrupt politicians and power-hungry oppressive rulers. During these quests he will be supported not only by the newly designed Motör-Weapons, -Powers and -Skills, but also a soundtrack with over a dozen tracks, partly never heard before!”

It’s all in aid of Motörhead’s 40th anniversary, apparently. Which is all well and good, but still leaves me feeling a bit lost. Is this really happening? Is this a good idea? How is this even possible?

Then again, I did like Brutal Legend, which is essentially the same thing. Motörhead through the Ages doesn’t have a release date yet, but Victor Vran is out on Steam for you to play now, should you so wish.

Renevent

Cipher
Bad ass! I'm actually surprised though...I thought the game was great but it didn't appear it did all that well based off of looking at the Steam sales/player charts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom