Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller can you tell us the tale of your game?

MCA
Well, if you really want to do this for a living, then getting on Steam should be your highest priority imho. Even at a lower price (if Steam should demand that). Something like $19 sounds perfect to me, and I fail to see the dickery in that. If someone who's preordered the game basically objects to a wider exposure and more sales (= more games like/sequels to AoD getting made), then fuck that loser. It's him being a dick and not you.

I don't know, browsing the prices of games on Steam, I don't think $25 is a bad starting price for AoD. There are a number of indie games around $25 right now. Eschalon Book II, a game that was released a couple of years ago with much lower production values, is going for $15. Spiderweb games are a lot cheaper, but their production values are also really low. If Steam's reasonable, they'll allow them on for $25. If not, they can be a GoG exclusive for a few months until the price drops. Steam's also going to have to be cautious about things like that, since GoG is already setting themselves up as a strong competitor.

GoG is a fucking nobody as far as exposure is concerned. Plus they don't offer the same level of dumb-proof management that Steam does.

Zeriel

Arcane
Vince,

Just wanted to pop in this thread and kind of counterweight all the "BUT IT'S TAKEN LONGER THAN DRAGON AGE 2, THAT'S BECAUSE IT SUCKS RIGHT?!" commentary. I remember seeing you come up through the Codex community back in '04 (I think), on to content creation, and then the whole ITS thing. I remember all the pre-AoD game design debate threads that were presumedly laying the groundwork for it. I remember thinking when you announced it, 'There's no way this isn't vaporware', like any skeptical person.

But it isn't vaporware. And it's not total shit. That's already impressive to me, and I just wanted to kind of voice my respect for all the hard work you've gone through to reach this point, while you could have just sat on a forum like the rest of us for all of those years. I'm not a mega-huge fan of some things in AoD, but there's more than enough there to justify the measly 25$ tag. The writing in particular is very, very good (it's a breath of fresh air to read RPG dialogue that isn't drowning in fantasy wish-fulfillment), and if I remember correctly completely your work.

I know you probably don't give a fuck and don't need the support, but I kind of just felt obligated to register my support for what you're doing.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope "it's not total shit. -Zeriel" makes it onto the game box.

Deleted member 7219

Vince,

Just wanted to pop in this thread and kind of counterweight all the "BUT IT'S TAKEN LONGER THAN DRAGON AGE 2, THAT'S BECAUSE IT SUCKS RIGHT?!" commentary. I remember seeing you come up through the Codex community back in '04 (I think), on to content creation, and then the whole ITS thing. I remember all the pre-AoD game design debate threads that were presumedly laying the groundwork for it. I remember thinking when you announced it, 'There's no way this isn't vaporware', like any skeptical person.

But it isn't vaporware. And it's not total shit. That's already impressive to me, and I just wanted to kind of voice my respect for all the hard work you've gone through to reach this point, while you could have just sat on a forum like the rest of us for all of those years. I'm not a mega-huge fan of some things in AoD, but there's more than enough there to justify the measly 25$ tag. The writing in particular is very, very good (it's a breath of fresh air to read RPG dialogue that isn't drowning in fantasy wish-fulfillment), and if I remember correctly completely your work.

I know you probably don't give a fuck and don't need the support, but I kind of just felt obligated to register my support for what you're doing.

Actually Vince reads every post in threads about AoD. He's finicky that way.

But yeah, I must commend what they've done. They aren't a professional studio, it is around three blokes working on the project, living in different locations. I really hope we do see it released in 2013, because I'm looking forward to it so much.

OK, I read through all this, and can anyone of you bros answer, what was bitched about the most? That "teleportation" thing? What else? I mean as VD said, what are weaknesses of the game that most people complained about? What about strengths (good writing?)? Has anything changed, or do you teleport through various scenes and play a game like that for most of the time? Since I understand that Fallout is/was one of the inspirations for the game, will there be a similar type of world travel like in Fallouts? With exploration, random events etc.? Why is the game "specific" as VD says, and unconventional? When compared to Fallout for example, well except the obvious, like setting? Are you more limited because of the "teleportation" thing, but because of that have richer dialogue and better C&C? Is that what the "unconventional" means?

Also I agree he should make it as long as he wants it. It's his dream, and who knows will it sell well enough for a sequel, so the man should make it till he's satisfied. And because I want more games like this, I think you should try to do something with steam VD. It will boost sales immensely...

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I know you probably don't give a fuck and don't need the support.

No bro, that is exactly what they need + some marketing stunts, aka Avellone is saying the writting is better than his, and Fargo fellating all over.

It really needs more coverage now, once it is reaching fruition.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vince,

We do give a fuck and your support does matter. Thank you.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller can you answer on some of the points I asked please? Also when will the R3 demo come out? At least approximately?
Almost done with the latest round of tweaks and fixes. We'll do a final build on Sunday, if the testers approve it, we'll release it early next week.

OK, I read through all this, and can anyone of you bros answer, what was bitched about the most?
On the Codex - teleporting. Overall - combat difficulty. Complaints about it dwarf everything else.

That "teleportation" thing?
Nobody but the Codex seemed to care about it.

Has anything changed, or do you teleport through various scenes and play a game like that for most of the time?
Nothing changed.

Since I understand that Fallout is/was one of the inspirations for the game, will there be a similar type of world travel like in Fallouts? With exploration, random events etc.?
You don't really "travel", i.e. there is no dotted line like in Fallout. You pick a location from the list of known places, click on it and you're there (like traveling to the mine or the camp in the demo). There are no random events, but there are events triggered by your actions, like the ambush at the end of the merchants guild's questline or the fight at the end of the Imperial Guards' questline. They are triggered only if completed quests a certain way.

I think you should try to do something with steam VD. It will boost sales immensely...
Well, we are on the Greenlight thing. It's up to Steam now.

hiver

But I can't shake the feeling that traditional role-playing games just may be a genre that doesn't work well with conventional indie development and distribution patterns.

:lol:

what a moran...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom