Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
denizsi said:
Terribadness of writing somewhat dissipates after fast forwarding to 20th c. but then the gameplay becomes even worse. Shittier firearms mechanics, retarded AI, grind and 20th c. environments in 3D are as dull and boring as they come.

I always found hilarious how you could fight using sub-machine-gun and a riot shield :lol:

Eyeball

Arcane
I found it hilarious how you didn't actually need any weapons at all since the Ranged Blood Drain ability was just so goddamn powerful your main character could pretty much defeat any non-boss enemy in the game single-handedly after getting it.

haptsonir

Novice
It's one of the games where, if you're able to look past the flaws, you might really like it - but the flaws are severe from an objective point of view.

The writing is long winded and technically poor, but spirited. GREAT art direction, music and atmosphere, good setting. No CnC etc. and the gameplay is repetitive grinding with a simplistic combat system.

I love it, for what it is.

haptsonir

Novice
Jaesun said:
There is actually 1 C&C.

Yep, and the humanity you gain or lose through your actions during the story actually matters in the end, so that was a bit unfair.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
This is one of the worst games ever. Up there with POR2, AP, TOTB, DTU, and ES series. It's disgusting that BL has to share part of the same title and often confuses people into thinking it's actully as equel to such a shit game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Is it any good? seen it in gog, and i ran out of "fresh" titles.
Enjoyed bloodlines, like the setting. Am a proud Gangrelfag.
It's an even worse VtM game than Bloodlines.:avatard:

But Redemption is also a horrible game overall, It's basically kotor's goth brother.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I still say it is an enjoyable Action RPG with the VtM setting. Considering the age of the title. But I am a gigantic VtM fan. It does some good stuff, and some retarded stuff. The entire sum of it's whole is overall good. Bloodlines is vastly superior however.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I still say it is an enjoyable Action RPG with the VtM setting. Considering the age of the title. But I am a gigantic VtM fan. It does some good stuff, and some retarded stuff. The entire sum of it's whole is overall good. Bloodlines is vastly superior however.
I agree. I don't think it's a terrible game, it's just simplistic. It came out of the same time period as games like Dungeon Siege. The setting and story do a lot to push the game above the hundred other Diablo clones.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Agreed. The setting and story are good for the most part (in the VtM setting). If you are a fan of the setting, and keep in mind this was made in 2000 (and possibly a Story Fag™) you might like it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
At least as far as I got, which I admit wasn't very far, it could be just a generic vampire game. The only things that reminded me it was a VtM game were the familiar terms like Brujah or disciplines.

And the story is good? Really? At which point does it stop being a melodrama?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
At least as far as I got,which I admit wasn't very far, it could be just a generic vampire game. The only things that reminded me it was a VtM game were the familiar terms like Brujah or disciplines.

You probably never got through the mines in the beginning area (and that..... Methuselah fight)? It does get a bit better after that. That's pretty much when the story takes off. The retarded Aneska stuff is, well.... retarded. Just kind of ignore it. heh

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
At least as far as I got,which I admit wasn't very far, it could be just a generic vampire game. The only things that reminded me it was a VtM game were the familiar terms like Brujah or disciplines.

You probably never got through the mines in the beginning area (and that..... Methuselah fight)? It does get a bit better after that. That's pretty much when the story takes off. The retarded Aneska stuff is, well.... retarded. Just kind of ignore it. heh
I see. That's exactly where I stopped, I actually killed the boss but gave up soon after. Guess I'll give it another try and see how it goes.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I see. That's exactly where I stopped, I actually killed the boss but gave up soon after. Guess I'll give it another try and see how it goes.
It gets better once, you know, actual vampires and stuff get involved... which is incidentally right after the mines area if I recall. The melodrama is kinda silly but honestly I think it fits the setting and theme of, again, vampires. Christoph isn't really meant to be a likable protagonist, I don't think - his chivalry and faith come across as naive at best and insincere at worst, which I think was the intention.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'd say play until you get to Prague and do the quest you need to do there. If at this point you are bored to tears, then quit. It is about this time all of your stats/skill selection now come into play as well as your gear. I restarted may times after this point. Prague is (IMHO) one of the best areas in the game. Well done.

The one thing Bloodlines does better, in that they encompass the "rules/setting" of VtM withing a single city (and they do a good job). In Redemption they are trying to expose you to the ENTIRE Vtm setting, lore and world, which is very hard to pull off. But for the most part did an OK job.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Redemption is one of the worst RPGs I've ever played. It's also one of the very few games of any genre I've actually thrown away, together with other turds such as Warlords 4 and M&M 9. If you're a huge fan of ARPGs for some reason, and not allergic to bad writing and voice acting I guess you could give it a try.

oscar

Arcane
I got sick of endless and tedious "lol kill 100 mindless Cappdocians now kill 100 mindless Noseferatu now kill 100 mindless Tremere" bullshit. I didn't mind Christoph so much, after a long string of edgy, anti-hero, grimdark heroes (but he sort of represents the insufferable other end of the spectrum).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The game has great atmoshphere (fuck, it has better atmosphere than Bloodlines :smug: ). The music is amazingly good, I think the voice acting was OK. I also liked the story, although it is not excellent by any means. Combat was OK, repetitive, but bearable.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The only good thing is the atmosphere, combst is dull. the best weapons in the entire game until the final battle are the dreadswords, guns are lame, and about the whole humanity score, you can easily lower it or maxing it as you please by talking to the human heads in the hallway before the final encounter, that resemble your love interest(see once in the entire game).

PS:
Did I already mention the awful AI?

Gord

Arcane
I quite liked it at the time, the atmosphere was very good, story was ok and there anyway weren't many Vampire games to choose from.
The start (pre-vampire Christophe) was lame, though.
Combat-wise it's a typical run-of-the-mill H&S, so don't expect much more than hacking away through lot's of mindless cannon-fodder.

One thing that was interesting was the integrated DM system. I never actually used that or played a multiplayer game with it, but it looked like it had potential.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I quite liked it at the time, the atmosphere was very good, story was ok and there anyway weren't many Vampire games to choose from.
The start (pre-vampire Christophe) was lame, though.
Combat-wise it's a typical run-of-the-mill H&S, so don't expect much more than hacking away through lot's of mindless cannon-fodder.
Still, I played through two times, so that was bearable.

One thing that was interesting was the integrated DM system. I never actually used that or played a multiplayer game with it, but it looked like it had potential.
It can be fun, I can tell you that. It just requires effort on part of the players and DM (the DM function is very easy for setting up encounters though). The WoD Mod people made for the game is also pretty good when it comes to getting the rules right (it also added Mage and Werewolf options), but it had some mechanical wonkiness concerning hit rolls and such (a good example is that melee almost never hit but guns hit all the time). It also helps that the basic maps provided are good, and there were some good fan-made maps (extremely hard to get now unless someone stored all that stuff).

Heck, I wouldn't mind larping it in multiplayer with a band of bros, it can be pretty fun and the visual element helps (though again, it must be stressed that the GM has a huge workload so the players should learn to wait).

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's not... *terrible* exactly, it's just really fucking boring. The game is basically an endless crawl through long, uninteresting dungeons, swatting the same 2 or 3 enemies repeatedly as you go.

What it does do well is a fairly in-depth conversion of the VtM system. It has all the disciplines doing what they are actually supposed to do, unlike Bloodlines. That said, considering how lackluster the game itself is, I'm not sure that's really enough to recommend it.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, it was all around mediocre. I had fun with the story teller mode thingy, though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom