Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valve - If we have to sell console hardware we will

Multi-headed Cow

I had that. It was fixed within a day or two of launch, but right at the immediate launch that was the case.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
According to Valve, Portal 2 sold better on PC than on console (source), so hopefully they'll respect their audience enough not to make that mistake again.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Well, it's not gonna be a console, to clarify. What Gabe probably just meant was a custom input/control device, if it's necessary.

And yes, as opposed to the bullshit that MS/Sony is gonna come up with, I'd actually buy that from Valve.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
According to Valve, Portal 2 sold better on PC than on console (source)
I wonder why

No shit. Valve would be in a perfect position though to make PC exclusive games. Why not? It's not like the extra ~$200 million they make from console sales is gonna make a huge change to the already enormous Steam revenue business.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, it's not gonna be a console, to clarify. What Gabe probably just meant was a custom input/control device, if it's necessary.

And yes, as opposed to the bullshit that MS/Sony is gonna come up with, I'd actually buy that from Valve.

I'd wager a guess that he's primarily pissed off at console memory limitations. He doesn't want to make corridor-based games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
According to Valve, Portal 2 sold better on PC than on console (source), so hopefully they'll respect their audience enough not to make that mistake again.
Why next gen codexers are always so naive? Valve respects you about as much as wolves respect the sheep.

I'd wager a guess that he's primarily pissed off at console memory limitations. He doesn't want to make corridor-based games.
Every single Valve game is corridor based. And newsflash - somehow even shitty Skyrim isn't set in corridors (most of the time).

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All I care about made by Valve is Counter Strike series (well, at least as long as the dude who made the first CS works for them), G-Mod and Steam. Half Lifes, Portals etc were fun, but if they decided to not make any sequel ever again I wouldn't really feel bad about it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Valve doesn't develop CS. It's Turtle Rock studios or some shit.

In fact Valve didn't develop anything for 5 years now.

Achilles

Arcane

I think he's much more concerned about the limitations put in place on an operating system level. Console OSes (is that right, btw? Should it be OSs?) are completely closed and noone can sell anything outside of the official store (xbox live-PSN-wiiware).It's the same deal with iOS and the App Store and now Microsoft are creating a Windows Store of their own in W8. Where does that leave Valve and Steam?

Microsoft has already stated that the Windows Store will be the only place to buy programs for Windows On ARM PCs. Does this mean no Steam on WOA PCs? Probably. What if the same were to happen on normal PCs? I think Gabe is sensing that Microsoft is trying to "ban" Steam, so to speak, and he is planning accordingly.

Needless to say, I'm 100% with Valve on this one. If they manage to create an alternative OS on which to play games on, or somehow make PC games play on other OSes like Android or Linux, I'll drop Windows like a stone.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think he's much more concerned about the limitations put in place on an operating system level. Console OSes (is that right, btw? Should it be OSs?) are completely closed and noone can sell anything outside of the official store (xbox live-PSN-wiiware).

You have a point here.

It's the same deal with iOS and the App Store and now Microsoft are creating a Windows Store of their own in W8. Where does that leave Valve and Steam?

Microsoft has already stated that the Windows Store will be the only place to buy programs for Windows On ARM PCs. Does this mean no Steam on WOA PCs? Probably. What if the same were to happen on normal PCs? I think Gabe is sensing that Microsoft is trying to "ban" Steam, so to speak, and he is planning accordingly.

Needless to say, I'm 100% with Valve on this one. If they manage to create an alternative OS on which to play games on, or somehow make PC games play on other OSes like Android or Linux, I'll drop Windows like a stone.

This sounds far-fetched. Also, making an OS is not something a company the size of Valve can do.

Marsal

Arcane

:hmmm:

This has to be the stupidest thing I've read in quite some time. It's stupid on so many levels. Layered stupidity. Well done!

DraQ

Arcane
This screenshot was taken of the PC version of the game.
24otwrl.jpg
Well, PC saves fast enough for that to not be generally noticeable.
:smug:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In fact Valve didn't develop anything for 5 years now.

Portal 2? L4D2? Orange Box?

Yes, those were all Valve developed games.

Funny thing is all of those games (excluding Half Life 2 in the Orange Box) were developed by other studios or modders that Valve simply bought out. Never mind the fact that Portal 2 and L4D2 are just glorified expansions.

Er... well the Source engine isn't going to do him any favors on that end.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Er... well the Source engine isn't going to do him any favors on that end.

Maybe, but who says Valve's next-gen games will use Source? Fact is, we have no fucking idea what Valve have been doing behind closed doors all these years.

Well, other than counting their money and feeding the Gabe. :smug:

MetalCraze

Arcane
What the fuck am I reading?

Is the Codex getting dumber by the day?

Portal 2? L4D2? Orange Box?

Yes, those were all Valve developed games.
Portal 2 isn't developed by Valve. It's developed by those Portal devs hurr.
L4D2 is developed by Turtle Rock bro.

Orange Box? Is that a game? From 2007?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Portal 2 isn't developed by Valve. It's developed by those Portal devs hurr.
L4D2 is developed by Turtle Rock bro.

Orange Box? Is that a game? From 2007?

Wrong. Portal 1 was that concept some DigiPen students came up, they then actually finished the game at Valve. Portal 2 however was 100% Valve. Kim Swing actually left the company at that time already.

Same with L4D. The time the sequel was made, Turtle Rock didn't officially exists anymore, and all employees were relocated to Seattle at the Valve HQ.

The new sprung up Turtle Rock could be an entirely different company for all we know.

Yes, October 2007 (Orange Box release) is still within the 5 year timeframe you gave yourself. Durr.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fact is, we have no fucking idea what Valve have been doing behind closed doors all these years.

header_292x136.jpg

... and on Source engine no less. :smug:

Although to somewhat seriously address the point: Despite their vast revenues Valve is still a relatively small company. The most obvious answer to what they've been doing all of this time is probably the correct one: little to nothing. Outside of their super-expansions for L4D and Portal and an update of DOTA I doubt they've done anything on any new IP short of maybe brainstorming and concept art. I mean, Christ, HL2 Episode 3?

Valve's biggest problem is that the massive amount of money it generates through Steam only serves to stifle their creativity and production time frames. They probably wouldn't have to put out another game for the next twenty years and could still afford to pay all of their 'developers' to just sit around and spin in their office chairs.

Fact is, we have no fucking idea what Valve have been doing behind closed doors all these years.

header_292x136.jpg

... and on Source engine no less. :smug:

Although to somewhat seriously address the point: Despite their vast revenues Valve is still a relatively small company. The most obvious answer to what they've been doing all of this time is probably the correct one: little to nothing. Outside of their super-expansions for L4D and Portal and an update of DOTA I doubt they've done anything on any new IP short of maybe brainstorming and concept art. I mean, Christ, HL2 Episode 3?

Valve's biggest problem is that the massive amount of money it generates through Steam only serves to stifle their creativity and production time frames. They probably wouldn't have to put out another game for the next twenty years and could still afford to pay all of their 'developers' to just sit around and spin in their office chairs.

Valve never has to put out a game again. In fact, they really shouldn't be putting out games. Much of the Steam and Valve hype relies on Valve having the coveted Best PC Developer EVAR! award from a lot of people. The risk of ruining that reputation with the Valve-equivalent of a Dragon Age 2 is probably far greater then any gains they could have from new releases. That's why HL3 will take forever to come out.

It's the same situation Blizzard is in, they know that releasing any games that aren't record breaking damages their reputation and endangers their primary income source, so releasing the bare minimum number of games to keep up hype while milking their primary income source is the optimal business strategy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Valve never has to put out a game again. In fact, they really shouldn't be putting out games. Much of the Steam and Valve hype relies on Valve having the coveted Best PC Developer EVAR! award from a lot of people. The risk of ruining that reputation with the Valve-equivalent of a Dragon Age 2 is probably far greater then any gains they could have from new releases. That's why HL3 will take forever to come out.

It's the same situation Blizzard is in, they know that releasing any games that aren't record breaking damages their reputation and endangers their primary income source, so releasing the bare minimum number of games to keep up hype while milking their primary income source is the optimal business strategy.

This is an excellent point. :salute:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Indeed, it took tons of creativity and effort to 'develop' Portal 2 and L4D2. Same mechanics, pretty much the same art assets, and very little new content. Portal 2 had... what a six or seven hour long single player campaign coupled with a static six or seven hour long co-op (experience is the same every time)? They added a few new hazards and tricks but it's basically Portal... just not the two hour edition. L4D2 could literally have been released as a $10 DLC for L4D and no one would have batted an eye. It added three new infected, melee weapons, and four or five new maps? And their next trick is Dota 2 (which, let's be honest, is just a means of marketing the Steam platform even further and gouging morons with microtrasactions for hats, skins, new heroes, flags, etc.)! Whoa... slow down there, Valve. Don't bust a vessel pumping out these revolutionary sequels. It's the same shit Activision does with Call of Durpies but since it's Valve doing the people slurp it up.

Those are the facts. I'd wager the reason for the HL3 delay is them deciding whether or not they want to make it a cover shooter with regenerating health, removing the physics puzzles, and extended the length of the vehicle sections tenfold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom