Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial Arcanum Patch (Original Thread)

Ausdoerrt

Augur
hal900x said:
Ausdoerrt said:
I have a glitch with the patch - I started a new game, and when I tried combining stuff in the tech skill window, the number of items used and received was wrong. For example, I got 3 spike traps using only 1 spike and 1 spring (instead of 10); same thing happened for the first herbalist tech, and the flintlock pistol. Anyone come across this, and know how it can be fixed?

Errrm...I think the number you are referring to is how high your skill in the respective tech discipline needs to be for each ingredient. It has nothing to do with how many are produced.

So, you mean when in the tech window for, say, flint pistol, I get Broken Flint Pistol (8) Small Tube (1) it's not the # of items required to combine, but the skill? I just started Arcanum so I'm a bit fuzzy on all of this. And I was also wondering how I can get THREE spike traps with just ONE spike? :?

The thing is, it didn't work that way in the original w/o the UAP. I'll double-check that later today though.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
foobie said:
There's a bug with the Half-Ogre island. No way to go back, no ship captain and the steering wheel is inactive.
Just played through the whole quest to check this, haven't noticed any problems, everything works.

Could you describe your installation? What patches/mods do you have installed?
Ausdoerrt said:
The thing is, it didn't work that way in the original w/o the UAP.
Very funny (not). Read the manual before asking silly questions.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Allright, sorry, I was wrong then (double-checked it). I did read the manual, but must've missed it... In any case though, it seems weird how you can fill up half of your inventory with Healing Salve even before leaving the Crash Site.

Game working well this far, love the new HQ maps - look great together with High Res patch! Thanks for the work.

Helo

Novice
OgreOgre said:
Helo said:
I went to go find Stringy Pete...and he's not there.

The ship is there, the location is where it's supposed to be, but Pete himself is gone.
The powergaming exploit has been removed.
The UAP Changelog said:
[F] Stringy Pete will no longer appear until either you take a look at Salty Seadrick's map or Edward Teach tells you about him.
Stringy Pete was a powergaming exploit? How so?

I usually go for him if I want a quick way to get to Caladon.

Is there any specific time at which Teach will tell you about Pete and where can I find Salty Seadrick's map?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Helo said:
Stringy Pete was a powergaming exploit? How so?
Acquiring Stringy Pete's ship would let you go to Thanatos at any time, i.e. you'd be able to skip large parts of the main quest.

Besides, this fix isn't even my own idea. The game was designed this way, Salty Seadrick's map and Edward Teach's dialog set a global flag which makes Stringy Pete appear. This was all already included in the game, they just didn't put a flag that turns off Stringy Pete until the condition is met. Talk about poor QA.

Helo said:
Is there any specific time at which Teach will tell you about Pete and where can I find Salty Seadrick's map?
You can find both Salty Seadrick and Edward Teach (his 2nd appearance) in Black Root when you're given a quest to go to Thanatos. This is a part of the main quest and happens late in the game.

foobie

Novice
Drog Black Tooth said:
foobie said:
There's a bug with the Half-Ogre island. No way to go back, no ship captain and the steering wheel is inactive.
Just played through the whole quest to check this, haven't noticed any problems, everything works.

Could you describe your installation? What patches/mods do you have installed?

latest official patch, UAP, custom resolution patch, hq townmaps, hq music, no-cd crack.

I could send you a savegame right before going to the half-ogre island if that could help.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
foobie said:
The save file: http://rapidshare.de/files/48000343/Save.rar.htm

Book passage to half-ogre island and there will be no captain on the ship.
17fo06.png

I suggest you reinstall the game, there's obviously something wrong with your installation. The correct install order of the UAP and extras is:
1. Install the 1.0.7.4 patch (be sure to check the path, as it doesn't auto-detect your Arcanum folder).
2. Install the UAP.
3. Install the high resolution patch.

HQ townmaps and HQ music packs can be installed anytime, in no specific order. Also, a no-CD is not needed, because the UAP removes the CD check.

Svartalf

Educated
Hi,

Weird thing just happened to my character, I was roaming the Dernholm Castle when, as I was walking, I pressed ESC-> Save Game. Now I'm stuck inside the walls and I can't find a way to get out.

Trapped.jpg

Here's the save:

http://rapidshare.com/files/262312337/Trapped.rar.html

Another thing, on what does finding Pure Ore at Bessie's Haunted mine (Before freeing her ghost) depend? I mean, with some characters you walk into the mine and find it while you're exploring, and hence complete the Shrouded Hills' Blacksmiths' quest, but with others you can't find the damn Ore. Is it random or what?

Thanks Drog, keep up the good work!

Svartalf

Educated
Hi,

Sorry if I did not make myself clear. I didn't share the save or pic to look cool, I'd like to know if there's any way to fix it so I can get out and keep on playing.

Coyote

Arcane
Another thing, on what does finding Pure Ore at Bessie's Haunted mine (Before freeing her ghost) depend? I mean, with some characters you walk into the mine and find it while you're exploring, and hence complete the Shrouded Hills' Blacksmiths' quest, but with others you can't find the damn Ore. Is it random or what?

I believe that the placement of certain items in-game is semi-random. IIRC, it's based on the player character's name. So for instance, a character named "Ivan" will receive a magic robe and some cash from the chest next to the kite shaman in the first area, while a character named "Kingcomrade" will receive a magic leather armor, an emerald, and some different amount of cash from that same chest.

Fryjar

Augur
Does the mod that removes the level cap break something in the unofficial patch? Also, have there been any rebalance mods released that work with it?

Double Ogre

Scholar
Fryjar said:
Does the mod that removes the level cap break something in the unofficial patch?
The universal level cap remover works with the UAP.
Fryjar said:
Also, have there been any rebalance mods released that work with it?
No.

Xerzes

Novice
I may have missed an answer to this, but it doesn't seem like it. Somebody else apparently registered to ask the same question and got no reply. Where'd the race mod go? The bit to let you play as dark elves and ogres and orcs and whatnot. The previous download link for it went away.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Xerzes said:
Where'd the race mod go?
Down the gurgler.

While I managed to make all necessary engine additions to unlock the three extra races and include support for backgrounds, portraits, reaction modifiers, etc for them, there's just way too many dialog and script checks that would need to be expanded. There's a lot of race specific content in the game, and I don't think it's worth it to go through the trouble of adapting it for the extra races. Arcanum is not like Morrowind, where your race is just a different skin and stat modifiers.

puppyonastik

Augur
Would you be so kind as to expound on what those races were and provide some descriptions or screens of art assets (if there were any), Ogre? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Double Ogre

Scholar
We're talking about the three NPC only races: Dark Elves, Ogres and Orcs. Sometime ago I was working on a mod that would let you play through the game as one of them.

puppyonastik

Augur
I see. Well thank you for making the attempt. I hope down the road it becomes possible to do the dialog and script checks (maybe with the help of a few motivated people?), as I would certainly find it interesting.

Double Ogre

Scholar
While the next version isn't outright canceled, I have no idea when it's coming out.

Someday, probably.

I haven't touched Arcanum in a while and don't plan to. I can play it in my head.

Tulkas

Novice
First of all I want to say that I love Drog Black Tooth in a very heterosexual way for this patch.

I play Arcanum atm (again) with the UAP081229 (the latest one) with Extra Content. This page http://drog.terra-arcanum.com/extracontent.html says that the Levered Machine Gun is one of the upcoming changes. But at the end of the page it says that the Gun has been given to Captain Wheeler. I would really like to have this gun in game. Can I expect it to appear in this version or not.

Thanks a lot for the work you have done.
You have made this game so much better.

Also as a sidenote:
Hümmelgümpf said:
[R] Restored original skill icons (Combat, Thieving, Social and Technological).
Could you post them here?
Drog Black Tooth said:
MetalCraze said:
It's obvious why they weren't used - too much detail, too many objects and not much of a style. Icons should be simple.
I agree that the current icons should stay. They are simple and classy. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT Aug 19: I got to the Donn Throgg quest now. Captain Wheeler displayed a disappointing lack of Levered Machine Guns. Well, I really hope it gets included in the next release. More Guns is always a good thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom