Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Underworld Ascendant Update #44: Dev Diary #1, Introducing Aelita, New Screenshots

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Joe Fielder; OtherSide Entertainment; Paul Neurath; Sam Luangkhot; Underworld Ascendant; Warren Spector

After the Underworld Ascendant SXSW panel the other week, OtherSide said that a new video and a new monthly update were coming up next. The video came out last week. It turned out to be a dev diary featuring Paul Neurath, Warren Spector and Joe Fielder, apparently the first in an ongoing series. The video is a basic introduction to the game's design principles. Nothing we haven't heard already, although it does include a few more new snippets of gameplay footage.

As for the monthly update, it's out now, a few days later than expected. The update is pretty big, but there are two main highlights. First, the introduction of Aelita, a rogue character voiced by Fryda Wolff who will be the player's ally. She's the female voice in the SXSW teaser trailer, and was also the protagonist of the old prototype trailer from 2015. Second, there's a batch of new screenshots apparently showcasing areas from Ascendant's tutorial level, which it turns out is a reimagining of Ultima Underworld's first level. It sounds like they're planning to make it part of the game's alpha release.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The first level of Underworld Ascendant may be especially notable for longtime fans of the series because it’s a modern follow-up to the first level of Ultima Underworld®.

As you may know, that level was designed by Paul and introduced players to The Stygian Abyss, and, according to many, the Immersive Sim genre. There are more than a few notable landmarks that fans will enjoy, as well as that game’s signature moldy cheese and other questionable food items.

It’s also our “un-training level” where we try to break players from assumptions they might’ve brought in from other games and how to teach them to teach themselves within the deep immersive sim environment.

You’ll see and hear more about it in future updates… and in the upcoming Backer Alpha.
    OtherSide will be at PAX East in Boston next week on April 5-8, so expect more new stuff soon.

• Brofist x 2
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. frajaq Educated

frajaq
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

:hmmm:

• hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Ogg Prophet Patron

Ogg
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    My reaction too.
    This game has no real art style, it's depressing. And you have to remember it's one piece of "art" they're proud of, since they ended up showing it to backers.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. lukaszek Arcane

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    im still trying to parse this combination of mohawk and hood

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Is there any specific reason they make it look like a mobile game?
    When I think back to Underworld, I don't remember cutesy comics, but a somewhat dark atmosphere.
    What the hell went wrong here?

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Durwyn Prophet

Durwyn
    Parrots:
    Oh, the box-puzzle gimmick game again...

^ Top  
  7. frajaq Educated

frajaq
    Parrots:
    The "cartoony" art style seems to be REALLY popular these days (Fortnite/Overwatch/Most other mobile games), so maybe they want a piece of that too?

Then again I doubt that kind of audience will even fucking hear about this game ever

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MuscleSpark Savant Patron

MuscleSpark
    Parrots:
    Queer + Goth intersectionality.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Parrots:
    That is sad. Couldn't they make the dungeon a dark place? I want a game that it requires main party(or mc) holding torches to be able to see anything, while having monsters that can easily seem in the dark, where every noise can make your group scared of going further into the dungeon.
    I just want an immersive sim that exploring a dungeon is not a walk in the park. It should be scary, terrifying, to get past a part is the reward itself, and the deeper you go, the more you character stinks of blood and looks like a red dot in the darkness. :negative:

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. coldcrow Augur Patron

coldcrow
    Parrots:
    Ahahaha, Arkane Studios must be laughing their asses off. Let me find my Arx Fatalis install....

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Laughing-crying while they work on their online multiplayer game with microtransactions.

OtherSide Entertainment - low budget, cartoony and your last hope

• Despair Despair x 11
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. frajaq Educated

frajaq
    Parrots:
    last hope for what exactly

^ Top  
  13. Crescent Hawk Savant

Crescent Hawk
    Parrots:
    They supposedly want to recreate the art style of D&D miniatures. Which look nothing like this but hey.

^ Top  
  14. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Parrots:
    If OtherSide Entertainment is my last hope, then I have no hope anymore.

^ Top  
  15. TheSentinel Cipher

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    See you on the other side.

• Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Darkzone Magister

Darkzone
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

What a disgusting picture, that is fucked up on every level, of a shitty designed character. Otherside should rather hide this atrocity instead of show it to us.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  18. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The cartoony style is... ok I guess, not a big fan of it but at least the “retro” dungeon looks good
    Honestly trying to find good things about this game, between the development of this one and the Sysem Shock fiasco I really cant be too enthusiastic about any of the pledges I have made in the last couple of years
    Looking at this thread made me nostalgic for Arx Fatalis more than Ultima Underworld

^ Top  
  19. Flou Learned

Flou
    Parrots:
    The cartoony style is a bit of a turn-off for me. Other than that waiting anxiously for the game :)

^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Patron Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Future winner of KK-KODEX "Most Decline Game" of *2018 (or *19)

Zep--
    *with or without sound.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)