Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Underworld Ascendant releasing in September, gets negative previews

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: OtherSide Entertainment; Sam Luangkhot; Underworld Ascendant

The big Underworld Ascendant news that OtherSide Entertainment promised last week has turned out to be a bit troubling. In a new E3 trailer released today, they announce that the game will be out in September, less than four months from now.

Alongside the release of the trailer, two websites - Ars Technica and PC Gamer - have published previews of Ascendant's E3 build. Both previews are scathingly negative, citing uninteresting and above all janky gameplay. An excerpt from Ars Technica:

To start: combat. Nothing about UA's current first-person swordplay and archery feels right. Melee combat strikes were difficult to aim, and any visual or audio recognition of my strikes was lacking. My combat successes seemed contingent on enemy models—mostly ragdoll-bouncy skeletons—but they often didn't react. Crouch-walking around with a bow, meanwhile, repeatedly got enemies' attention even when I was out of their line of sight, despite an on-screen indicator with a closed-eye icon that appeared to confirm my hidden state.

Emphasizing spells didn't help matters. The primary spell at my disposal, a freeze-enemy move, required aiming and firing multiple times to actually ensnare enemies, even when I was aiming at enemies who stood still. The same went for when I tried to use a sticky seed that I found lying on the ground to ensnare or freeze enemies or traps. (When I finally got a skeleton soldier stuck, it wobbled around in the ground like a wacky inflatable tube.)

I was encouraged to set doors on fire as a means of traversal, and sure enough, anything in the world made of wood could catch fire. Why bother finding a key? But there was only so much stuff in the level made of wood, and no other chemical-reaction spells or items were made available to enable creative spell-solution possibilities. Will we see a variety of burnable, freezeable, and meltable elements in various dungeons to use to either solve puzzles or rain down hellfire on our foes? If so, this gameplay slice didn't reveal them.

Instead, I felt like I had my best time just flinging various powers around while tearing through a been-there-done-that take of series like Thief and Dishonored. "This could be pretty good with another year of polish," I thought to myself as I wall-ran to reach a faraway platform, marched through a sluggish, annoying series of traps, and clumsily slapped my sword onto a skeleton until it finally decided to die.

Then I went back to OtherSide Entertainment's site to confirm the release date. September of this year? Say what?!
    OtherSide's community manager responded to these criticisms on the official forums:

The criticisms raised in the articles are honest of the build they saw. We've been reading through the press this morning and feel the same way: They both acknowledge that the game isnt 'done' yet, and negative criticism is the most productive thing we are going to get out of any of these articles.

Fixing movement, animations, and even making sure the level design is adjusted CAN be done. It's GOOD for us to have this feedback, especially as we start to ramp up our external playtesting and QA processes.

We've been transparent about what we've been working on for the past month, and a lot of that has been fine tuning the experience based on what we saw at PAX, as well as throwing in entirely new mechanics and animation systems since then. Puppetmaster is in, and we're still figuring out how to make the motions more satisfying and "less janky." We saw a lot of people get stuck early on the PAX build, so we made the level design easier to read so more press could get through the level. (While PAX press had up to an hour to play through the demo, the E3 press had 15 minutes. We wanted to make sure they could see more than just one room, especially if they were stuck!)

As always, we're taking the reviews in stride and will be heads-down working on the game. The game can only get better as we keep working on it!
    Nevertheless, and this is true regardless of what's in those previews, I just don't see how a game that has been in development for over three years can go from pre-alpha to release in less than four months. I'd love to be surprised, but if OtherSide are out of money we could be looking at a disaster here.

• Despair x 17
    • :M x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bohr Savant

Bohr
    Parrots:
    Hmmm

(inb4 zep zepo)

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  3. Big Wrangle Learned

Big Wrangle
    Parrots:
    Fuck, I hate it when I'm right. Had a slight glimmer it would pan out well.
    :negative:

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    For the first time he'd be justified!

The game is finally starting to look good, what a tragedy if they're now forced to push it out before it's ready.

I mean, you only need to look at what's been released to backers. If the backer alpha is being released in two weeks, it seems logical that what comes out in September would be the beta. This doesn't feel like it was planned!

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Despair Despair x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    Parrots:
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. SophosTheWise Arbiter

SophosTheWise
    Parrots:
    Not surprised. Also trailer looks way too Disney for my taste. I'm sad now.

^ Top  
  7. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Thought it looked shit from the first Torchlight palette/graphics concept screens. Was off my radar since then.

Shit looking and sounding game is turning out shit. Who would have thought?

• Agree Agree x 13
    ^ Top  
  8. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I saw a french gaming journalist on a fairly important website explain his astonishment when they said the game was releasing in September. The builds he played were apparently disastrously incomplete for a game so near release. His opinion was the game needed a couple of more YEARS.

The guy is ususally fairly reliable ; if Otherside wants to release it soon, I guess it'll just be another Shroud of the Avatar.

Who cares ? The Ultima Codex will say it's superb and that it could just do with a bigger text window.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Big Wrangle Learned

Big Wrangle
    Parrots:
    In many cases, it is one. Let the day 1 buyers test the release game for you, and once everything is patched grab it on a Steam sale for more than half the price. :smug:

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Actually Kenneth is pretty much ignoring this game (the one game that he shouldn't be ignoring, as opposed to the assortment of weird crowdfunded MMOs and retro-indies that for some reason make up the majority of the Ultima Codex's non-SOTA front page content).

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Max Heap Scholar

Max Heap
    Parrots:
    Is this the right moment to start asking questions about the faction system?

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. jdmatson Literate

jdmatson
    Parrots:
    I'm glad they're taking criticism well. I think that's a good sign at least.

^ Top  
  13. Big Wrangle Learned

Big Wrangle
    Parrots:
    I guess we can expect yet another delay, then.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jedi Exile Arcane Patron

Jedi Exile
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I am actually excited that game will be out soon. It's the only game that has the spirit of Looking Glass classics. It will be released unfinished, that's for sure, but you can say this about any game this days. Will be ready in a year or two :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Paul_cz Erudite

Paul_cz
    Parrots:
    Really hope they manage to pull it together, although I gotta say I do wish they went for realistic art style instead of this cartoonyness.

^ Top  
  16. LilSassy Novice

LilSassy
    Parrots:
    It's not going to be good. Nobody has ever fixed 'janky' or clunky gameplay within four months.

• Agree Agree x 8
    ^ Top  
  17. toro Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    If humans survived Euro-jank then they will survive US-jank as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    The first thing they should have nailed down during development was movement and combat, above all else.

In an action rpg the combat needs to be addictive, make players search out the next encounter.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. Grotesque Arcane

Grotesque
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Raleax!
    Mods will fix it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Dyspaire Augur

Dyspaire
    Parrots:
    Any team that chose that particular art-style as the one they feel best represents a place called The Stygian Abyss... should give anyone pause.

I kept waiting to see if the art assets were going to iterate into something a little less cartoonish as development progressed, but it never happened.

Maybe it's just me, I dunno. I don't know a blessed thing about polygons and textures and their application; but to me the game just looks like it was painted with a very simple brush.

(If that makes any sense whatsoever.)

2c

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arbiter

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    Parrots:
    I'm not even disappointed at the fact that they look cartoonish, as much as I am about them looking amateurish and poorly modeled/animated in general.

On top of that, it's not like the overall smoothness or the user interface look any more promising.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Blackstaff Savant

Blackstaff
    Parrots:
    Wasn't the game supposed to be riddled with microtransactions anyway ?

Meh

• what? what? x 3
    • No No x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    505 Games clearly not budging on a development extension.

Crowdfunding is highly sought to avoid handicaps like this, but any hiccups and you end up with loan-sharks who make you tow the industry standards anyway.

:deathclaw:

^ Top  
  24. duanth123 Arcane

duanth123
    Parrots:
    Game News - posted by Infinitron on Sat 26 May 2018, 00:44:02

Game News - posted by Infinitron on Fri 1 June 2018, 21:24:51

You are a nostalgia cucking fucking shill, Infinitron

Even IGN would be embarrassed at this point.

• Funny x 7
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    Parrots:
    Maybe if we all condemn it hard enough they will feel forced to delay the game (for the better)

• Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)