Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Whiran

Magister
This is kinda bugging me.

They write about FIVE purple splatters and the graphic displays SEVEN purple splatters plus an unknown one.

What is up with that discrepancy?

The only reason it bugs me is that little things like that really matter when coding and designing. Things should match up unless I missed out on something that indicates that there should be seven.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
This is kinda bugging me.

They write about FIVE purple splatters and the graphic displays SEVEN purple splatters plus an unknown one.

What is up with that discrepancy?

The only reason it bugs me is that little things like that really matter when coding and designing. Things should match up unless I missed out on something that indicates that there should be seven.
We also had to share that our community has grown to over 9,200 strong today! This means all our Kickstarter backers will get a free Dark Elf sling, with 5 special purple splatter seeds and at least 2 bonus seeds too. Let’s see if we can reach at least 9,300 Backers by noon (ET) tomorrow, for another bonus seed.

5 + 2 = 7

e2cc7196.jpg

Whiran

Magister
We also had to share that our community has grown to over 9,200 strong today! This means all our Kickstarter backers will get a free Dark Elf sling, with 5 special purple splatter seeds and at least 2 bonus seeds too. Let’s see if we can reach at least 9,300 Backers by noon (ET) tomorrow, for another bonus seed.

5 + 2 = 7
That was the bit I missed while skimming what they wrote.

Thanks.

Runciter

Augur
Otherside said:
97% have been playing PC games for a decade or longer - where are the young’uns?
Otherside said:
This means all our Kickstarter backers will get a free Dark Elf sling, with 5 special purple splatter seeds and at least 2 bonus seeds too. Let’s see if we can reach at least 9,300 Backers by noon (ET) tomorrow, for another bonus seed.
Seriously?

I have very distinct feelings about this game:

1) When they first announced it, my initial outcry was the same as expecting a trash sequel to Deus Ex.
2) After announcing subsystems which seemed aligned, and even expounded, on the original game, my hopes expanded. No quest markers, no hand holding, was the litmus for me.
3) The promises seem overambitious for a limited budget and a small team, in the manner as radiant AI was overambitious, and findable runes imbalanced D3, forcing them to resort to zero customization.
4) Classes seem redundant, in the same manner as System Shock 2, in that your character is defined by your choices, not your archetype.
5) As I pointed out earlier, generic Tolkien-esque fantasy is a detriment to this game, as they are talking progressive, not retrogressive. Goblins are only scary until you are seeing them a million times. Cthulhoid monstrosities are more interesting, and I hope they do not resort to bipeds, as we are talking an underground ecocology. The generic fantasy cliches seem a detriment to this game, moreso than an advantage, as they detract from an underground ecology, and add in an element of the expected to that of the unexpected, in an ecology that evolved entirely separate from the surface world. Refinement is necessary, as this is like sewing a blanket to another blanket, and calling it a new blanket. In a game that promises innovation, throwing in Tolkienesque cliches is like throwing a carrot in a banana smoothie. It detracts from the originality of the setting, and should be cut, as it not only throws out the element of surprise, it is a detriment to discovery when you walk a thousand miles to find something new and find a dwarf instead. It also causes unnecessary programming.
6) I hope there are survival mechanisms, not only in terms of food and water, heat and frost, but poisons and diseases, and also phobias. Fear of Darkness and Claustrophobia, and Paranoia, serve a purpose in this type of game, and should be managed. If paranoid, you might start swinging your weapon wildly, drawing attention, or throwing spells. Not just surface visual effects, but fleeing from darkness if you spend too long, thus making fire not only serve a survival purpose, but also essential for your own sanity.
7) I hope this game takes a page from Dark Souls, in limited narrative and story, and telling most of the story in narrative symbolism, or unraveling choices as you go.
8) Emergent gameplay is not only defined by choices, but by limitations. If you burn a bridge, you can no longer cross it. How you define your character is based on choices. If you can burn a bridge only to cross it, then you have limited choices, as 'all roads lead to one destination.' Choices mean consequence. In the same manner as killing an NPC in Dark Souls, or allowing potential game breaking combos in Dishonored, you are allowing innovation. Your choices make or break you, and potentially you could screw up your own game, or stumble on a substantial, but game breaking combo. Balance can be tweaked after alpha, and even further, but screwing up your own game should not be out of the question. Even in Dark Souls, you could do that. Like in real life, if you break the law, you end up in jail. If you jump off a cliff, you die. If you find a way to break the stock market, you get rich. This is the true nature of emergence.
9) Otherside is essentially Looking Glass under a new name.
10) +For Warren Spector, if he does not compromise for consoles or 'streamlining,' which ruined sales. There is a reason Deus Ex 1 was successful, and it was certainly not fumbling around, or dumbing down. I hope he has learned his lesson. You expand upon systems, not strip them. 'Streamlining' makes you less of what you are.
11) +For voice of Garrett and SHODAN. VERY plus! :)
12) I hope you save as you go, in the same manner as Diablo, but can revert to an earlier save checkpoint if you ruin your entire game. Thus, you cannot take back your choices, but you can redo an entire game segment if you fuck up your game beyond all repair. This limits choices, while forcing you to define yourself based on them.
13) Use of physics. Period. Any multisolution > linear puzzle design, period. It opens up options. Allows creative solutions, such as stacking crates, or burning a bridge, but defines your game. Also, telekinesis and flying. *COUGH*
14) Interactive elements, such as fire and wind, are a MUST. Physics = Combo spells.
15) Character advancement should be tied into exploration, as in findable runes, spell tomes, et cetera.
16) No obvious puzzles. Finding them is their own reward.
17) In the same manner, no didactic speech. It is superficial when someone tells you their back story, and unlikely in real life.
18) Providing explanation is banal, as none is necessary. I am trapped in a cavern, I need to escape. It is a detriment, as it detracts from the mystery. Survival and advancement are compelling enough. Less is more.

In summary, the game needs refinement, seems to contain obvious tropes, and superfluous elements that detract, and are easily cut. I have high hopes, but they are tempered by time and budget.

Most of all, DO NOT commercial--success is defined by customers, not by sales.

Thanks,

James,
DCLXVI.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Hmm... I day one backed it without watching and reading anything, but then cancelled a day later once I'd actually watched the pitch video and had a think. They seem to be doing their best to drive me away, but I'm still following their progress as I thought UU2 was probably the most atmospheric game I've ever played. Hopefully mindx2's epic tale will finally convince me that they actually know what made the UU games great. The drool he's been emitting since his return is getting my hopes up again. :)

Plus, the Garriott connection is really bothering me. He made some of my favourite games ever, but everything he's said and done since U8 has made me wonder if the previous entries were just a series of flukes, or whether the technical limitations of the day imposed some discipline that he's since shrugged off. I day one backed Shroud as well, but mercifully pulled that before it was too late and have no intention of going back. It's Sunday - I always get philosophical on a Sunday. :negative:

B

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
We are seeing the influence of the team's experience in the mobile game cesspool tainting the PR stew. So long as they haven't forgotten their roots. (I don't think they have).

It is truly odd. In one hand they hold the experience and chops to create something amazing. In the other hand, they hold the most vile symbols of their most recent experience in the mobile shovelware business. Some people are willing to spend on these things, I just don't think anyone interested in this project is and so the messaging is fucked.

* EDIT * the symbols being in-game trinkets and things you usually see in pay-to-win horseshit.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
DawnrazorDCLXVI
Dawnrazor there is a problem with people and new fantasy things. They hate everything that is new. So you have to make naturally new things like Dire Fairies and Lava Bats. But sadly, people have to recognise the genre, and therefore you got to add elves and dwarves to the setting.
And UU had also dwarves. I would also prefer the fungi's vs big eyed lizard people, with a lot of crazy stuff. But elves and dwarves sale. And dark elves sale extreme. Just ask R.A. Salvatore he is selling just one dark elf for now over 30 years.

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Still not funded :negative:

I will likely update my pledge for this one. There is too much possible incline here to let it go unmade.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
We also have our friends at...Torment... helping get out the word.

They have? Where?
Well, Brian backed Underworld for a fair sum (as well as many other inXile team members, including Thomas and myself), and we gave 'em a shout-out in the last Torment update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1119445

Personally this is the most excited I've been about a new Kickstarter project in quite some time. While I was never quite the biggest fan of Underworld (I was too young to fully appreciate it when I played it back in the day), every other Looking Glass game had a role in my "gaming upbringing" (even more so than CRPGs did).

Strange, you seem to suggest here that none of LGS games are CRPGS.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Reposting what Tim did on the Otherside forums regarding play-time and the concerns of some over main quest length of 10-15 hours:

It's like they're reading our minds...

i-thPCpjz-1050x10000.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Too bad it's also Penny Arcade. Is that supposed to endear us to them?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We also have our friends at...Torment... helping get out the word.

They have? Where?
Well, Brian backed Underworld for a fair sum (as well as many other inXile team members, including Thomas and myself), and we gave 'em a shout-out in the last Torment update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1119445

Personally this is the most excited I've been about a new Kickstarter project in quite some time. While I was never quite the biggest fan of Underworld (I was too young to fully appreciate it when I played it back in the day), every other Looking Glass game had a role in my "gaming upbringing" (even more so than CRPGs did).

Strange, you seem to suggest here that none of LGS games are CRPGS.

Paul Nuerath himself sees the Underworlds as the only "real" cRPGs that Looking Glass made with System Shock only being a semi-cRPG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1144227

58e810a9712993f07e924cffd079fdd3_original.png

There has been a lot of chatter about the in-game visuals in the Underworld Ascendant early prototype. Some have called them downright homely. We take no insult.

As with the games we developed at LookingGlass, our philosophy is to avoid putting a lot of time into making pretty in-game visuals during early development. This enables us to iterate fast early on, rapidly improving game play. The tradeoff is having less impressive visuals to show off with a prototype. For fans who want to see gorgeous visuals upfront, this can be a hurdle.

Good news is that we can and will dramatically step up the visual bar. Not at the expense of gameplay, and not to try to chase AAA games that have tens-of-millions to throw at visuals, but we'll deliver a great-looking indie game.

Explaining some of the how:

Beyond tapping into the enthusiasm of Chris’ kids, our art team has track record of delivering games known for their wonderful art style and 3D visuals: BioShock, BioShock Infinite,Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, among others.

As for the software engine, we are currently using Unity 4.6 for the prototype. This version’s visual capabilities are dated. However, it's proven and robust, enabling fast prototyping.

This week we started doing test builds with a beta version of Unity 5. Its capabilities are hugely improved. Notable new features include physically-based shading, PhysX 3.3, and global illumination. Check out what Unity 5 promises to deliver when it is released for production use HERE.

When the Unity 5 beta becomes sufficiently stable that using it will not slow down our development, we will make the switch. We expect Unity 5 will be a good fit for the project’s needs. However, if we are surprised to learn it fails to deliver, we will switch to a more suitable engine.

Underworld Ascendant has a spot in the Community Wishlist on GOG.com. Please head on over and give us a vote. Let's get the GOG community onboard with our game!

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
P.S. They don't seem to have posted about it anywhere, but the pitch video appears to have been redone with additional scenes. Compare and contrast:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom