Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Jazz_

Arcane
You know what would be cool in Underrail? Having companions.

Doktor Best

Arcane
A friend of mine cant get underrail to load. she says its on the task manager a second before it closes after executed. Anyone can tell me what could be wrong?
Does she start it from the steam interface? Tell her to go to the folder, look for the .exe and try to start it directly.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Having Companions in Underrail is very much the antithesis of one of the game's central themes: on your own, surviving, a certain aspect of horror and the unknown, and loneliness. You being apart from all others creates incredible levels of tension early on, which continues throughout the game. It's part of the overall atmosphere. The loneliness, the idea of being lost in seemingly endless tunnels, surrounded by death... It creates something that even having the option of companions destroys. Danger around every corner, coming across a settlement that appeared obliterated, with half-eaten corpses and rathounds nearby, having to piece together what may have happened when you see something truly frightening: a garage door jammed open, a dead man, his legs partially devoured as he was dragged through and stuck half-way. All you can do is guess what happened next.

Maybe they became weak because they grew dependent on one another in someway, or emotionally attached. Maybe they became careless. Maybe when that rat hound dragged him through, the door came crashing down on him, and he screamed. Maybe the girl, in her haste, rushed out the front door without thinking, to save him, and at that moment, the monsters came rushing through. Who really knows. All you have is some clues and your thoughts. And in the end, none of it matters. You loot the fallen and take what you can.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Having Companions in Underrail is very much the antithesis of one of the game's central themes: on your own, surviving, a certain aspect of horror and the unknown, and loneliness. You being apart from all others creates incredible levels of tension early on, which continues throughout the game. It's part of the overall atmosphere. The loneliness, the idea of being lost in seemingly endless tunnels, surrounded by death... It creates something that even having the option of companions destroys. Danger around every corner, coming across a settlement that appeared obliterated, with half-eaten corpses and rathounds nearby, having to piece together what may have happened when you see something truly frightening: a garage door jammed open, a dead man, his legs partially devoured as he was dragged through and stuck half-way. All you can do is guess what happened next.

Maybe they became weak because they grew dependent on one another in someway, or emotionally attached. Maybe they became careless. Maybe when that rat hound dragged him through, the door came crashing down on him, and he screamed. Maybe the girl, in her haste, rushed out the front door without thinking, to save him, and at that moment, the monsters came rushing through. Who really knows. All you have is some clues and your thoughts. And in the end, none of it matters. You loot the fallen and take what you can.

ye

Latelistener

Arcane
I don't care about companions, but the combat system is too good to be alone, so it is a huge waste of potential. Big battles are rare, and what is worse, you can't control your allies.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The only improvements I want from Underrail are:

1.Implement a run mode outside combat.
2.Much bigger areas, so you don't have to navigate through a gazillion of small screens to reach your destination.
3.A lot more shortcuts and transportation means.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
The only improvements I want from Underrail are:

1.Implement a run mode outside combat.
2.Much bigger areas, so you don't have to navigate through a gazillion of small screens to reach your destination.
3.A lot more shortcuts and transportation means.

While I agree with all these points, I'd understand why point two and three just aren't very realistic this late into development, as they would require extensive overhauling. Implementing a run mode, however, seems like such a minor task compared to the profound effect it would have on some of the game's more tedious parts. I seriously hope Styg takes it into consideration if he hasn't already.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
A run mode based on a combination of agility and endurance? You can get tired out, and if you do that before a fight, or the more tired you are, the more likely you are to be affected by status ailments.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Underrail already has enough "waiting for cooldown to wear off" moments.

Lhynn

Arcane
Underrail already has enough "waiting for cooldown to wear off" moments.
Thats build dependant im guessing. As an unarmed character those moments were really rare, i mostly only waited for expose weakness in fights against very tough opponents.
Tho thats a feat that should not have a cooldown, could have been balanced by dealing diminished damage or something.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Is this expansion gonna be coming out anytime this century? Seriously does anybody know when this thing is coming out?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Pretty sure it'll be towards the end of the year.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they working on the expansion and Underrail 2 at the same time at least? If so, when is 2 expected to come out? By the end of next year I hope and not 2038.

I really wished the devs making really good games somehow learning to make them way, way, way faster. And then even faster. And then even faster than that.

ciox

Liturgist
I think it's safe to say that guy is going to make another stabber.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
After a long sabbatical in the South of France I am attempting to make my return to the video game players land with this game. Two quick questions not worth starting threads for:

1) If I go pretty darn pure rogue will I be fucked?

2) If I totally ignore psychic power shit will I be fucked?

Please report my potential fucked-ness before I get too far to be okay making a new PC. Thanks!

Latelistener

Arcane
Things may have changed since I played the last time, but:

2) No, you can safely ignore psi powers, as well as crafting, but crafting is very strong in this game, and I bet you can create a viable psi-rogue build, if you want to.
1) Cannot really say much on this subject, but I heard good things about melee, and stealth is definitely viable in this game.

All in all, it really comes down on how you build it.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You CAN go pure rogue - Stealth and Unlocking are very useful in this game.
But don't think you can avoid battles altogether. You should invest in some combat skills as well. But don't worry, passing on Psi means you'll have plenty of skill points to do so and still create a great character.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
After a long sabbatical in the South of France I am attempting to make my return to the video game players land with this game. Two quick questions not worth starting threads for:

1) If I go pretty darn pure rogue will I be fucked?

2) If I totally ignore psychic power shit will I be fucked?

Please report my potential fucked-ness before I get too far to be okay making a new PC. Thanks!
1. No, if by pure rogue you mean a rogue that can fight. My stealth/melee build (knives and fists) kicked major ass and could unlock everything in the game.

2. No.

In his game you're fucked only if you try to make a jack of all trades build, or make very stupid feat choices. About PSI the choice is whether or not to take it. If you don't take the pill, there's nothing to worry about, you'll make non-psi character, no problem. If you do take the pill, you receive physical penalties, so you must invest a good deal in PSI if you want t make a good character.

Just use this to plan a decent build up to level 25 : http://underrail.info.tm/?i=2

Falksi

Arcane
After painfully slogging through the dulldrum that is The Witcher 3, I've just purchased this little beauty. Only an hour or so in, but so far it has me absolutely hooked. The atmosphere is LUSH, and it oozes mystery. Can't wait to sink my teeth into more today.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I just realized I've never played a psy character and decided to start a new campaign.

Can anyone comment on this build I made?

VtlQSdn.png

Is it shit? Any suggestions? It's been a while since the last time I played the game so I forgot a lot of stuff related to the game mechanics. Also like I said I never played a psy character so I don't really know what's a decent build.

Sykar

Arcane
I do not see the point of 9 intelligence. At least max willpower at the expense of 1 point of intelligence. The most you will need is 7 intelligence though, so you might want to put another point into constitution for some extra HP.

You should get mechanic up as well for crafting for the PSI Beetle armor but you can do that later. Not sure if it needs tailoring though, never crafted it myself since I never played a pure PSI character.

With such a willpower value you might consider putting a few points into a conversation skill. You will need like 50 points invested to get it up to over 120 easily late game which is all you need.

Lockpicking is better than hacking overall imho and with such a high intelligence you do not need to maximize it either.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Thanks for the suggestions.

I picked Hacking because of the synergy with electronics, but since I'll have to up mechanics aswell I might pick it instead. Only problem is that my dexterity is very low so I won't be getting as much bonus.

The carapace requires mechanics and biology I think.

What do you think about psychosis and tranquility? Thought about picking them but they didn't seem very useful early game.

Sykar

Arcane
Thanks for the suggestions.

I picked Hacking because of the synergy with electronics, but since I'll have to up mechanics aswell I might pick it instead. Only problem is that my dexterity is very low so I won't be getting as much bonus.

The carapace requires mechanics and biology I think.

You can use food for an extra dex point to offset the penalty and lockpicks come with up to +10 bonus and later you get a +15 bonus with the Huxkey and there is also the Jackknife for another +7 in Lockpicking.

My PSI Sniper hybrid did that and never had any major problems.

Do guys, I finished underrail thrivr (except the shit end game cavern)

Once as Psi/Unarmed Monk
One as Armored Assault Rambo with Throwing
Last one as Stealth Knife Sneak.

First time playing was a Sniper/Pistol/Sneak/Psi attempt which i abondoned as it was spread too thin.

My question is any intersting build which plays differently enough from the above I could try?

Or should I wait for the expansion; if its around the corner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom