Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

Discussion in 'Underrail' started by Kem0sabe, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    [​IMG]

In interest of creating a space where our collective mental breakdown over how awesome Underrail is, doesnt hamper our discussion of gameplay mechanics, quest solutions and general crafting dumbfuckery, this here info was shamefully pulled from magnificently thorough Underrail Wiki

The wiki is a great source of info, so go there to get more up to date info and also contribute to making it even more of an awesome tool for our favorite post
    apocalyptic TB RPG.

As for the rest, share some tips, turn some tricks and spoiler as much as you want.

Game Mechanics

Base abilities

[​IMG]

Skills

[​IMG]

Feats

[​IMG]

Status effects

[​IMG]

Oddity XP System

[​IMG]

Empty oddity catalog showing silhouettes of all oddities to be found.

Crafting

[​IMG]

User Interface

[​IMG]

Maps

[​IMG]

Basic Character builds

[​IMG]

Steam user Creep posted a basic guide to different character builds that can be useful:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 27
    ^ Top  
  2. Stargazer_ Guest

Stargazer_
    Constitution is looking to be this games dump stat, maybe will as well.

^ Top  
  3. LizardWizard Savant

LizardWizard
    Parrots:
    Went full con in my walking tank AR playthrough and was pretty much untouchable.

^ Top  
  4. Stargazer_ Guest

Stargazer_
    Really I put six points in it and I basically though, "why do I need more in this Stat when I can improve accuracy and Damage".

^ Top  
  5. LizardWizard Savant

LizardWizard
    Parrots:
    Juggernaut and Thick Skull are amazing. Nice never having to reload despite walking into some real shit situations.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. WhiteGuts Arcane

WhiteGuts
    Parrots:
    I need some character build adivce, men. I have never touched Underrail during EA, btw. Waiting for this day.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    Just glancing at those maps gave me a boner.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  8. epeli Prophet

epeli
    Parrots:
    Oh man, now I feel embarassed as fuck about those shitty maps I hastily threw together in mspaint. :oops:

I stopped updating and improving them when it seemed like there would be a map system in Underrail 1.0, but turns out that didn't work out. Maybe I'll do something about them after the holidays.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Think that grid cartographer could be a good option for mapping underrail or the non-linear connections from one zone to the other make it harder to make a readable map? Great job on the Wiki btw.

^ Top  
  10. roshan Arcane

roshan
    Parrots:
    Hello Underrail experts! Have some questions:

1. I started off the game with 10 in electronics, mechanics, tailoring. Will be splitting 10 points per level across these skills. Will that eventually be enough skill investment to do enough crafting?

2. So I've tried pickpocketing and keep failing. Is there anything I need to do about this? Should I pickpocket in stealth mode? From behind the target? Should I pickpocket when the cameras are not facing me? Or is it just random chance, the target and skill level that determine success? How do I figure out my chance of success?

That's all for now.....

^ Top  
  11. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    Easy basic assault rifle/metal armor guide line:
    Max perception, 6-7 constitution, 7-8 strength, 6-7 Int and dump agility + willpower to 3. Do not get PSI since it lowers your HP by 25% and your willpower is so awful that it would be a waste of skill points anyway. Dex can stay at 5 once since you will get a decent rank in Throwing.
    Try to pump most points from level ups (every 4 levels) into Perception only sparing one for int and/or strength if needed either for feat or weapon requirements.

Skills:

Guns -> main damage via assault rifles
    Throwing -> Grenades provide AoE and some CC. EMP grenades are great against anything mechanical. Also lets you kill silently if needed with throwing knifes afaik. Nets can root melees to keep away from you. Caldrops are nice as well especially with paralyzing poison.

Mechanics -> Craft metal armor and guns(normal, laser, plasma or acid)
    Chemistry -> Craft grenades
    Electronics -> Craft energy shields and needed for energy weapons in case you want them.

Optional 1: Biology to craft hypos and other meds
    Optional 2: Mercentile and/or Persuasion/Intimidate but they do not come into play often but usually let you avoid a major conflict if they do.

You get 40 skill points per level up and just enough points to max 8 skills at start, in other words you can keep 8 skills maxed. The build I described above is a tanky metal amor wearing grunt who primarily uses assault rifles and maybe later energy weapons and uses grenades for AoE+CC.

Feats: You got a wide variety here which gives you plenty of options. Due to heavy armor and low agility you might consider the crafting perk which reduces the armor penalty by 35% multiplicator. It should help quite a bit with speed. Feats like Hit and Run or Sprint are worth considering for mobility purposes. Later you will want maybe feats like Concentrated fire and Commando feat for extra free burst attacks with ever increasing 10% extra damage per hit.
    Some crafting feats like Gun Nut are recommended.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. epeli Prophet

epeli
    Parrots:
    I'll see what I can come up with. I had plans for a Google Maps style thing at one point (part of the reason why the wiki has full screenshots of each alpha area - recycled material) but as Underrail grew, I realized it would never work. Sooo many overlapping vertical levels.

And thanks. When Styg wanted to personally host his own wiki I just had to make sure it won't be as bad as all those ad-ridden and abandoned wikias small indie games usually have. Underrail deserves better.

1. Should be fine. Basically, you get enough points to max 8 skills at each level up, or split points into more than 8 skills. At higher levels, it is easier to spread your skillpoints out as many of your skills start to reach "high enough" levels for everything you want - especially if you have high base ability scores supporting the skills you use. Try any blueprints that seem useful to your character and keep a close eye on shops once you figure out what sort of crafting components you could use. You'll quickly get a feel for how good components you can get and how high crafting skills they will require.

2. Pickpocketing is deterministic. Each NPC has a suspicion bar at the bottom of his inventory - if you max that out, they will notice you. Your pickpocketing skill, the target item's weight and the NPC's detection determines how much suspicion you raise. Also, the suspicion you've raised slowly decays, so you might be able to steal more if you return later on. Stealth helps only if you've got the Ninja Looter feat.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Assault rifle + heavy armor is the usual tip, but I'm going for sledgehammer + heavy armor. 10 str, 10 con, ag 6, int 5. Make sure you get sprint and conditioning feats.

Don't get dodge and evasion as the biggest armours will negate it. Get lockpicking and hacking for loots, melee + throwing for grenades, and 4 crafting (I left out biology). This is only a lvl 1 tip but you don't want a full build surely.

^ Top  
  14. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Yes always keep lockpicking and hacking updated, there's a lot of locked doors and containers out there.

Personally I never bother with pickpocket, crafting being what it is.

^ Top  
  15. Belegarsson Savant

Belegarsson
    Parrots:

^ Top  
  16. Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    Parrots:
    Are you wearing heavy armor? Dodge Evasion are still good, just not for walking tanks. Biology is very good for a bunch of psi boosters. All the crafting seems very useful.

^ Top  
  17. Belegarsson Savant

Belegarsson
    Parrots:
    I'm having leather armor but yeah, I planned to build a gun blazing tank, wasted a bunch of points. Oh well, gonna focus on crafting skills and psi this time.

^ Top  
  18. Polanski Educated

Polanski
    Parrots:
    After having a ton of fun with full PSI build in EA, I am now trying a Sneaky knife / throwing knife build with subterfuge.

Other than Maxing Agility and Dexterity, I am not sure what to do for attributes. 5 Int for Cheap shots + crafting, 6 strength for bonus dmg, feats, carry capacity?
    Will the 3 in Perception, constitution and will end up getting me fucked (in a bad way) in the end-game on hard?

For skills: Throwing, Melee, Dodge, Evasion, Stealth, Hacking, Lockpicking + 1 crafting skill (Mechanic, Biology (for poisoned shit) or Tailoring).
    Does it make any sense to go half on some skills, so I could get more crafting?
    I have not done any crafting yet, so have no idea if it would be good enough to have three crafting skills only half maxed or are those skill points just wasted?

edit: maybe I'll just make myself a hammer + heavy armor or big gun + big armor build, then I'll have loads of skill points for crafting.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    ^ Top  
  19. Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    Parrots:
    Go full on all skills on first build, I wouldn't spread them around until you know exactly what you need.

^ Top  
  20. Zetor Arcane

Zetor
    Parrots:
    Do you have to max out your primary stats to be effective, esp later in the game? I'm playing a psychokineticist / gunslinger hybrid with 8 per/wil/int and so far it's been OK except for being squishy as fuck against multiple enemies that get the drop on me (no surprise there).

^ Top  
  21. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    I haven't started playing yet but is crafting a big/necessary part of the game? Not normally a fan of crafting systems (though I like Arcanum's for example).

^ Top  
  22. roshan Arcane

roshan
    Parrots:
    I just created my character, not a big fan of crafting myself, but just with a quick look, the system seems intriguing because the crafting components seem like cool and interesting things that you would actually want to hold on to. Unlike in Arcanum where you were pretty much continuously accumulating literally junk and trash,

^ Top  
  23. Zdzisiu Arcane

Zdzisiu
    Parrots:
    Its a relatively big but not completly necessary part. There are some items (Ranged weapons types) only accessible by crafting but other than that, you can get by on just the stuff you find and buy in a shop with no need for crafting. Crafting is more of a fine tunning tool to make items just the way you need them for your super complex build.

Also, crafting is fun and not very tedious so even if you decide to try it, it wont make you ragequit.

^ Top  
  24. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    It gives substantial benefits but you need decent investment in terms of skills and feats to make it worthwhile. The gear you can craft especially later in the game tends to be better than anything you can buy or find but I do not feel that it is essential though. What is essential that you decide on a defensive concept, high Con+Heavy armor or Dodge/Evasion+lighter armor, and a good offensive concept like assault rifles+grenades or Stealth+Crossbows, etc.
    Then if you got a bit left you can invest into rogue skills or traps or social skills.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    A small tip for those playing with the oddity system, keep the tab or z keys pressed while exploring an area for the first time, theres a lot of oddities hidden in piles of rubble that will show up if you press the highlight objects key.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)