Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Alfons

Prophet
But what Underrail doesn't deserve is me stirring up shit here. I get the hint, so I'll withdraw back to lurking after this post.
Wtf dude? That was not the hint at all, just a simple observation. I'm sure everyone on here understand this:
With anonymous discussion, there's a certain freedom in being blunt. It won't be taken personally and people have to judge content rather than writers behind it.
Which I echoed in my own post:
epeli sure has a knack for coming off as a pretentious shithead at times, but that doesn't mean what he says is not right.
and to an extent this:
but everyone is prone to misassumptions about things they don't know. I'm tired of dealing with that after 2 years of a certain very insistent person doing the same on underrail forums.
And I'm sure those that don't can live through the occasional snark to get some solid info. I really hope you don't bitch out.

Zeronet

Learned
About Junkyard quests

Any way to get a quest off the black eels? I didn't ask about the wormhole and got the drill part etc, now i can't talk to them about anything..apparently i was suppose to ask about the wormhole and start doing odd jobs to pay for it. Silas has no relevant dialogue and neither does colton.

ST'Ranger

Augur
About Junkyard quests

Any way to get a quest off the black eels? I didn't ask about the wormhole and got the drill part etc, now i can't talk to them about anything..apparently i was suppose to ask about the wormhole and start doing odd jobs to pay for it. Silas has no relevant dialogue and neither does colton.

Logically, you should still be able to ask about the entrance even if you already have the drill circuit. However, currently the way it works is that you learn about the existence of the wormhole from Colton by asking about the drill part, and he refers you to Silas. It could be intentional on Styg's part or it could be an oversight, it's not entirely clear. Some of the text from Silas is worth looking at too - editing needs to be done to take into account the consequences of certain events.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
I spammed this game So much up until the 2nd last update but I can't find the motivation to start a new character and try the latest one. I've finished the questlines with a few different characters (pure psi, sledgehammer, stealth etc.) so I am thinking of trying a grenadier character with firearms. Are any of the new stealth/melee traits good? I actually really enjoyed sneaking backstab characters in this.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
And once again, a negative steam review for your amusement:

First Review: 40 Hours
I love where this game is trying to go but sadly its just not there.

Bug ridden. (game breaking in many cases)
Unbalanced game play mechanics. (300%+ markup economy is just stupid)
Hellish difficulty (often with little to no point other then punishing the player but also partly due to other problems listed above)
Weak plot (which is really sad because this game had a lot of promise)
Awful user interface (halfway through the game I was still trying to find the batteries to charge items)
Simple not a fun experience which is by far the most damning thing I can say about this game.

Save your money and beat your head against a wall if you still feel like buying this game.

UPDATE: 224 hours
Well not much has changed. The game difficulty has taken a bit of a roller-coaster after you reach about level 14. The "easier" parts of the game are a lot of fun but the harder parts leave you swearing and cussing as you load the game over and over and over trying to figure out a strategy that "works." I really don't know what the developer was thinking when he made this game but my guess would be that he has some unresolved hate issues that he is venting through the game. As far as the things I listed earlier the game is still pretty bug ridden, very unbalanced, ridiculously hard, very thin on any kind of plot despite copious amounts of text dialog that I've meticulously slewthed through, oh yeah and no updates to the terrible user interface either.

I did take the liberty of creating a nav point map for the other unfortunate souls who are trudging through this wreck of a game since the developer couldn't be bothered to do such and I've posted it under my art work page and listed it on the community hub.

Current recommendation: DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP

Zeronet

Learned
About Junkyard quests

Logically, you should still be able to ask about the entrance even if you already have the drill circuit. However, currently the way it works is that you learn about the existence of the wormhole from Colton by asking about the drill part, and he refers you to Silas. It could be intentional on Styg's part or it could be an oversight, it's not entirely clear. Some of the text from Silas is worth looking at too - editing needs to be done to take into account the consequences of certain events.

Shame, this happened on my last playthrough too.

Whiran

Magister

And yet the person played an additional 184 hours.

What in the world? What a skewed value system that person has.

There are very few games I've sunk that much of time into over the past.... years. If any game keeps my attention for that long I totally recommend it.

As an aside, I've put like 5 hours into Underrail and most heartily recommend it.

If you are reading this and have not yet bought it - BUY IT. This game is so worth it.

Zeronet

Learned
While Underrail is can be rough and reloading seems to be part and parcel of my gameplay experience (for me at least), it's still a more enjoyable experience than some big ticket titles.

Alfons

Prophet
While Underrail is can be rough and reloading seems to be part and parcel of my gameplay experience (for me at least), it's still a more enjoyable experience than some big ticket titles.
Kids these days amirite? Seems like the prospect of actually losing is alien to them.

The only reloading problem I have with the game is the gauntlet, the wholes idea of having unavoidable instakills in an RPG is foolish. And before anyone says it, I know that you can actually just beat it, but the idea of having to reload the last 30 minutes is asinine. It's not the same as making so many errors prior to a boss that he is borderline impossible, even then you have a chance. It's having already lost and not knowing about it for another 20 minutes that I find aggravating and just poor design.

Mustawd

If you are reading this and have not yet bought it - BUY IT. This game is so worth it.

Recently bought this due to the fanboyism of this thread. This better be good enough to warrant the Fallout comparisons dammit.

likaq

Arcane

I love where this game is trying to go but sadly its just not there.

Bug ridden. (game breaking in many cases)
Unbalanced game play mechanics. (300%+ markup economy is just stupid)
Hellish difficulty (often with little to no point other then punishing the player but also partly due to other problems listed above)
Weak plot (which is really sad because this game had a lot of promise)
Awful user interface (halfway through the game I was still trying to find the batteries to charge items)
Simple not a fun experience which is by far the most damning thing I can say about this game.

Save your money and beat your head against a wall if you still feel like buying this game.

Well not much has changed. The game difficulty has taken a bit of a roller-coaster after you reach about level 14. The "easier" parts of the game are a lot of fun but the harder parts leave you swearing and cussing as you load the game over and over and over trying to figure out a strategy that "works." I really don't know what the developer was thinking when he made this game but my guess would be that he has some unresolved hate issues that he is venting through the game. As far as the things I listed earlier the game is still pretty bug ridden, very unbalanced, ridiculously hard, very thin on any kind of plot despite copious amounts of text dialog that I've meticulously slewthed through, oh yeah and no updates to the terrible user interface either.

I did take the liberty of creating a nav point map for the other unfortunate souls who are trudging through this wreck of a game since the developer couldn't be bothered to do such and I've posted it under my art work page and listed it on the community hub.

His review of fallout 3 oblivion with guns:

This is RPG gaming at its finest. Perhaps the only game I've had to buy multiple copies of (6 across all platform) because I literally wore out the disks from constant use. The game is nothing short of a masterpiece of gaming. When I first came to the game I played it for about 3 hours and dismissed it as a oblivion sci-fi. Unfamiliar with the previous titles and I once again returned to the game about a year later and became obsessed with it. You can easily spend thousands of hours roaming around the wastelands. VATS never gets old and it was a sad day when I picked up the last tin can the world had to offer me. Fallout 3 is a treasured memory of an experience so rare in gaming. That of immersion. If you have the time to spend cooped up in a fallout shelter for days I highly recommend sitting down, strapping in, and playing fallout 3 for all its worth.

8.9/10. How are those hot little potatoes?

More of his reviews: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197985345570/recommended/

Only mandatory abortions can save game industry.

Alfons

Prophet
Is the recorded play time which they present on the page accurate? If so, this guy is even more hilarious.

Just in case you took this guy too seriously before, you might want to know that the number one game on his wishlist is Dear Esther, take from that what you will.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Something to consider, time spent with a game paused or inactive in a menu counts. A lot of us play with 2+ monitors and can leave a game inactive in one for days. I also think putting your computer to sleep with the game active still counts towards the time played.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
If I had read that review on steam I wouldve assumed it was positive yet satyrical. It almost sounds like hes exagerrating other people's complaints in order to make them sound silly...........but then that Fallout 3 review. New Vegas never gets old to me, but 3 was one and done. He must be in serio.

aleph

Arcane
Something to consider, time spent with a game paused or inactive in a menu counts. A lot of us play with 2+ monitors and can leave a game inactive in one for days. I also think putting your computer to sleep with the game active still counts towards the time played.
:what: What's wrong with shutting a game down when you are not playing it?

agris

Arcane
Patron
:what: What's wrong with shutting a game down when you are not playing it?
It happens man.

Mustawd

Yeah I find that kind of strange as well. I guess I just hate keeping programs open.

ST'Ranger

Augur
Styg I've encountered a bug in a conversation.

http://i.imgur.com/DsTBJVR.jpg

The highlighted option ends the conversation abruptly, with no response from Lenox - the conversation subscreen disappears entirely as if I'd chosen the [end conversation] option.

Only people I've spoken to so far on the matter in this save are Lenox (first pass), Jonas, Tanner, and Arlene.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Styg I've encountered a bug in a conversation.

http://i.imgur.com/DsTBJVR.jpg

The highlighted option ends the conversation abruptly, with no response from Lenox - the conversation subscreen disappears entirely as if I'd chosen the [end conversation] option.

Only people I've spoken to so far on the matter in this save are Lenox (first pass), Jonas, Tanner, and Arlene.

Fixed.

Wonder when the next update will come?
Would be nice to get a status report on the game's progress...

Work on Deep Caverns is in full swing. I'll probably post a new dev log in a week or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom