Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are you the same ArchAngel from the Obsidian and inXile forums? If so, welcome to our friendly abode. :codexisfor:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Are you the same ArchAngel from the Obsidian and inXile forums? If so, welcome to our friendly abode. :codexisfor:
Yes. But you also missed archangel from RPGCodex most hated rival. I am just here to spy on you, psst, don't tell anyone.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes. But you also missed archangel from RPGCodex most hated rival. I am just here to spy on you, psst, don't tell anyone.

I take it initially calling yourself "Also-Hiver" didn't have the desired effect?
That was because Hiver pissed me off with his usual stupidness in Torment topic and all my replies to him with last name got deleted by Infitron or someone so I gave up on that. Also_hiver's purpose will now never be fulfilled and he will forever live sad in Limbo for rejected forum names.

torpid

Liturgist
To get back to the game: I find Core City's dialogues to be a little too lulzy, and the transition between the mostly serious tone of the rest of the game and the city's everyone-has-a-gimmick dialogue makes it jarring. I understand that it's meant to be a decadent city of braindead, TV-watching aficionados, but it's over the top -- like stepping out of Fallout 1 and into Fallout 2.

Nael

Arcane
To get back to the game: I find Core City's dialogues to be a little too lulzy, and the transition between the mostly serious tone of the rest of the game and the city's everyone-has-a-gimmick dialogue makes it jarring.

I think that might be the point...

Gotta love the joined:2014 VS joined:2015 "newfag" wars. Sorta like Pakistani calling Bengali "niggers".

SILENCE NEWFAG!

Zdzisiu

Arcane
"New update won't be released today.The quests are playable but it'll take us a couple more days to put the finishing touches on the areas."

Well, fuck. :x

Zdzisiu

Arcane
As a cheer me up gift, another negative review from steam:

First, too bad there is no "may be" recommendation in Steam reviews. Because game is ok.

People going "oh em gee it is just like Fallout 1 and 2", you should stop, really. Because it is not. These comparison shouldn't even exist. Here is why:

- protagonist motivation to do things is non existant, while in F 1&2 you have VITAL main quest from very start and everything else happens around it
- side quests are very rare. I can only remember "hopper meat" and "burrowers nest" after 7 hours of play. All about killing things
- no open world. "But you can go anywhere!". Yeah, but it still corridors and in most of them you'll just die horribly.
- no fast travel or even "run" function
- incredibly picky merchants. In post apoc surroundings, yeah

If you compare this game to anything, it should be games from Spiderweb Software or Eschalon books 1-3.

Now to game itself.
This is clearly "min maxer" heaven. People actually mention things like "correct character build". So why "wrong" options even exist?
And also this is "looter of trillon things" paradise. Instead of having rare, precious items you swim in a see of junk. And having a microscopic pictogram for every piece of jumk is not helping. Isn't it clear as day - if you rarely found something useful you value it more! Do you remember that feel of finding 10 mm SMG in Fallout? Or good item drop in Diablo 1? Or acquiring a good gun in FTL?

Looks like Underrail buries itself under needles complexity. Core game is not so deep, so why make things overcomplicated?

I wish all luck to developer as it is hard to make almost everything alone. But right now I can recommend this game only to hardcore "munchkin" type of players.

P.S. If you know Russian I can also add this - Fallout: Nevada 1.0

da_rays

Augur
Steam need a Review of reviews. I can respect other opinion and preferences , but its almost just whinning. Maybe he's just having a hard day.

My best part: - no open world. "But you can go anywhere!". Yeah, but it still corridors and in most of them you'll just die horribly.

I hope he died a zillion time by getting stun and mauled by robots~

Sykar

Arcane
As a cheer me up gift, another negative review from steam:

First, too bad there is no "may be" recommendation in Steam reviews. Because game is ok.

People going "oh em gee it is just like Fallout 1 and 2", you should stop, really. Because it is not. These comparison shouldn't even exist. Here is why:

- protagonist motivation to do things is non existant, while in F 1&2 you have VITAL main quest from very start and everything else happens around it
- side quests are very rare. I can only remember "hopper meat" and "burrowers nest" after 7 hours of play. All about killing things
- no open world. "But you can go anywhere!". Yeah, but it still corridors and in most of them you'll just die horribly.
- no fast travel or even "run" function
- incredibly picky merchants. In post apoc surroundings, yeah

If you compare this game to anything, it should be games from Spiderweb Software or Eschalon books 1-3.

Now to game itself.
This is clearly "min maxer" heaven. People actually mention things like "correct character build". So why "wrong" options even exist?
And also this is "looter of trillon things" paradise. Instead of having rare, precious items you swim in a see of junk. And having a microscopic pictogram for every piece of jumk is not helping. Isn't it clear as day - if you rarely found something useful you value it more! Do you remember that feel of finding 10 mm SMG in Fallout? Or good item drop in Diablo 1? Or acquiring a good gun in FTL?

Looks like Underrail buries itself under needles complexity. Core game is not so deep, so why make things overcomplicated?

I wish all luck to developer as it is hard to make almost everything alone. But right now I can recommend this game only to hardcore "munchkin" type of players.

Another retard without a clue. Awesome.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
5% negative reviews on Steam, just sayin'

The one Zdzisiu quoted raises one interesting question (while being utterly retarded as a whole of course)
Why do "wrong" char building options even exist?
Josh Sawyer seems to agree with the guy that they shouldn't.
I'd say having a ruleset with wrong builds is good design because if you wanna make a proper RPG with some tactical depth you better give the player as many possibilities to come up with synergies as humanly possible. In case of Underrail calling some builds "invalid" is just another way to describe that these are missing those synergies.
If you make everything equally viable then the game turns into a click blindly until the distracting menus go away snorefest. You have to be able to make wrong decisions or your decisions won't matter at all. And I don't believe you can make up for missing char building depth with combat tactics unless you go the whole nine yards and create the next XCOM.
Part of good tactical games is figuring out the rules and using them to your advantage. Minmaxing is just that, minmaxing is using synergies after you understood the rules and therefore it's great CRPG design and should never be used as a derogative term.
I love the ruleset of this game to death, and I also love the crafting (which is weird, I usually hate that stuff, but in other games it tends to break the balance, here it works), which also means that atm I'm in the mood to bash this fucker's head in for whining about the abundance of loot. I need all that stuff, you retarded inbred shitstain! :argh:
... *hiver mode off*

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

That's pretty true, though. Nevada is fucking awesome and is pretty much better than both F1 and F2. The main plot sucks, ofc, but the quest design and utilization of Fallout's system is just supreme. I'd make a theme about it but I'm feeling too lazy to do that.

As for the "why do the wrong builds exist" question - it's like asking why can you have wrong answer to the riddle. The problem here is that not all people love riddles and, no matter how well do you craft one, they still won't like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom