Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UFO ai patch

kyrub

Augur
This is a small AI patch for UFO Enemy unknown, Windows CE /// 1.4 DOS version. It should have visible effect on AI combat performance, making it generally more dangerous to player. The improvement should be most noticeable in close-combat action, on terror-sites or in Alien ships. The Aliens should now represent bigger danger to player's tanks and armored units, as well as to his psi-defense tactics. The battles should be more intense in general, with more shots fired, more grenades. More alien danger!

The patch does *not* change any game mechanics, alien or weapon stats.

Download here [both CE and DOS versions].

Features
- Aliens use a lot more of autoshot and snapshots, aimed shots only on long distances
- Alien energy spending problem fixed
- Aliens more likely to use grenades with many targets
- melee aliens are no more shy of > 3 X-com soldiers
- melee aliens will be a lot more decisive
- AI psi targetting is more random
- AI may attempt to psi attack even a relatively psi strong unit
- non-aggressive Aliens will try to snipe you more often
- the Aliens trying the base assault should be much more aggressive
- panicked Aliens can pick up their weapons again

This work is heavily indebted to other people:
:salute: Seb 76, Xusilak, Volutar, BombBloke :salute:

Gord

Arcane
So how's the game coming along anyway?
I've played 2.1 for a while, but IIRC that version was still a bit incomplete.

Is it possible to complete the game now?

Edit: Nevermind, I read the title and supposed this was about UFO:AI... :oops:

Fuck yes, this sounds good. AI was definitely one of the weakest points of Xcom.

Any chance to get this working on TFTD as well? Though...

- Aliens more likely to use grenades with many targets

...they would probably rape any xcom group with those sonic pulsars if they actually used em well :incline:

- non-aggressive Aliens will try to snipe you more often

Can you explain this feature a bit? It sounds like you are letting aliens shoot beyond their visual range just as players love to use abuse exploit the fuck out of.

Destroid

Arcane
Yeah it's funny that what is regarded at the codex as one of the best strategy games of all time, barely had any tactical AI at all.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Damn, kyrub man you rock. This is exactly what this game needed. Keep up the good work!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I usually play XCOM: Apocalypse*, is the (unpatched and/or patched) AI in Enemy Unknown comparable to that? Or easier/harder?

* I just like to raid drug dealers for profit :smug:

DakaSha

Arcane
I may be a newfag but I don't see how kyrub doesn't have a special title or some shit.
Somebody called him a true patriot:

:salute:

chzr

Scholar
awesome!

still, few questions - is it combatible with dos version (if not, why/will be)? will you eventually improve it further? and also, do you plan making similar improvement for tftd?

dragonfk

Erudite
DakaSha said:
I may be a newfag but I don't see how kyrub doesn't have a special title or some shit.
Somebody called him a true patriot:

:salute:

This!

Last modder who was given special title was Drog and personaly I think kyrub does much, much better job than our resident psycho.

So someone do something about it ! :looks at DU:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Don't do that, he might snap and we'll have double the alts we have now, which means like 100% of users.

kyrub

Augur
Hey hey, no stupid worship, or I quit. ;)
Remember? Disassembling is my kind of game. No altruism, I just like to break the codes. And to feel mental superiority over the programmers, hehe.

(Plus, this is quite a humble patch. And 90% was made by Seb76, the one-who-started-it, author of UFO extender. I just put the finishing touches... Voila.)

DakaSha

Arcane
kyrub said:
Hey hey, no stupid worship, or I quit. ;)
Remember? Disassembling is my kind of game. No altruism, I just like to break the codes. And to feel mental superiority over the programmers, hehe.

(Plus, this is quite a humble patch. And 90% was made by Seb76, the one-who-started-it, author of UFO extender. I just put the finishing touches... Voila.)

Yes but it isn't in your hands. You have no say in this. your 'job' is to just keep doing what you do :P
No seriously thanks kyrub. No matter what the reason ^^

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
thesheeep said:
I usually play XCOM: Apocalypse*, is the (unpatched and/or patched) AI in Enemy Unknown comparable to that? Or easier/harder?
The XCOM3 AI is horrible. It can't manage AP properly.

kyrub

Augur
Awor Szurkrarz said:
thesheeep said:
UFO AI is no Gari Kasparov as well. Bear in mind that the patch targets some of the most obvious failures (AI not using the auto, for instance). Then again, if the obvious failures are fixed, probably some more intelligent features show up... Gollop brothers certainly were not stupid. What does an alien do when it is wounded and faces battle against the odds? When it faces too many enemies? When it attacks an enemy base? When it has some good cover? All these questions are in the code. Sadly, whole AI "cooperation" feature is missing. AI will never plot an ambush (unless the turn = 21, but that, eh, is another story), it will never coordinate. As Destroid said, UFO was not about a great AI at the first place.

still, few questions - is it combatible with dos version (if not, why/will be)? will you eventually improve it further? and also, do you plan making similar improvement for tftd?
- DOS: it does not work now. If anybody hands me a dos 2.0 or 2.1 (whichever is preferrable) exe file (geoscape and tactical), I'll make it. Obdata.dat would be handy too, to check if it is identical. (use PM if interested)
- improvements: unsure, or very few. There are a lot of X-com remakes on the way. They can surely do better.
- TFTD: now, that is an interesting question. The guys who made it, were probably clever in designing the game so that the AI shortcommings are hidden. The AI cannot use auto fire (Sonic weapons) = main improvement is gone. AI using more snap shots is questionable (snap shots have high %TUs in TFTD, sic!) - one of the TFTD horrors in early game is that the AI seems to hit (and kill) with every shot. That's because of Aimed shots. Other AI improvements are valid and I can easily put them in the game. Not sure anybody needs non-shy Tentaculats, however. :D

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
kyrub said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
thesheeep said:
UFO AI is no Gari Kasparov as well. Bear in mind that the patch targets some of the most obvious failures (AI not using the auto, for instance). Then again, if the obvious failures are fixed, probably some more intelligent features show up... Gollop brothers certainly were not stupid. What does an alien do when it is wounded and faces battle against the odds? When it faces too many enemies? When it attacks an enemy base? When it has some good cover? All these questions are in the code. Sadly, whole AI "cooperation" feature is missing. AI will never plot an ambush (unless the turn = 21, but that, eh, is another story), it will never coordinate. As Destroid said, UFO was not about a great AI at the first place.
There's a difference between a not great AI and a completely dysfunctional AI.

X-Com 3 has a dysfunctional AI. When I encounter enemies in Apocalypse they usually do retarded shit like running back and forth until they run out of AP, going prone and then getting up again, etc. shit that serves no purpose.
I practically gave up on X-Com 3 when I saw a group of enemies doing it when they had entropy missiles which could easily fuck up my agents. They just ran back and forth and went prone/got up.
When they actually attack they usually walk and autofire at the same time which makes them miss almost all of their shoots.
Aven brainsuckers often run towards my soldier, then run back and run towards my soldier again, losing all their AP just before the soldier.

I often have situations when I should lose some men, but I don't because the AI behaves in a completely retarded way.
It's fucking horrible.

It's not a question of tactics or strategy or cooperation. Even just standing there and firing aimed shoots with devastator cannon or running towards my soldiers in a straight line would be enough to make the game much more challenging.
Even if they would have great tactics and strategy and cooperation they would fail because the behaviour of individual enemies is so fucking retarded.

Xcom 1 AI still did that fairly often. Chryssalids would happily run away from you, then run at you and end up standing on the same place they were at the beginning of a turn except without any AP.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Overweight Manatee said:
Xcom 1 AI still did that fairly often. Chryssalids would happily run away from you, then run at you and end up standing on the same place they were at the beginning of a turn except without any AP.

Quite true, just check all of the LPs we have here... Some rather small tweaks and more agressivity would improve the game a lot. This is why this is so welcome.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I wonder why they programmed it like this.

Also, there's one important difference. In X-Com 1 there was powerful reaction fire. In X-Com3 it's often replaced with reaction retrat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom